Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2017, 06:22 AM   #1

West Virginia RX3 Rally August 2017

Allow me to propose an informal RX3 rally at Marlinton West Virginia for August 24 - 27.

The Rally could be focused on the Old Clark Inn in Marlinton, which has experience hosting other motorcycle rallies. There are a few other lodging options in Marlinton and some nice local campgrounds, but the Old Clark Inn could be our central location. I've reached out to Old Clark and this weekend would work for them.

I stress "informal" as in folks would make their own arrangements for lodging with Old Clark or other locations, and would participate at their own risk. But I could see some organized day rides, cook-outs, etc.

The dates run Thursday to Sunday, but if there is interest we could extend into Monday the 28th.

My riding is geared towards street, and I have not yet looked into gravel or off-road rides in the Marlinton area. I am sure there are many. But I would probably leave it to others to lead groups off-pavement if there is interest. I'd be happy to lead pavement-only rides to Cass, Green Bank, Seneca Rocks etc.

So at this point I'd like a rough idea of possible interest. If this sounds interesting, please respond and/or send me a PM. We can work out details later, and I can provide more specifics on camping and lodging options. Plenty of time of fine tune this proposal.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:33 AM   #2

I'm IN. Love the Marlinton area! Green Bank, Cass, Snowshoe, Seneca Rocks, Dolly Sods...all worth the visit. https://oldclarkinn.com/ I'll probably trailer the bike so my wife can be there. She always has a good time in Marlinton, walking the rails-to-trails route that goes right through the town.

Peter Y.

Green Bank

Cass

Old 01-20-2017, 09:49 AM   #3

my only concern would be how big of a function Nelson could handle. their B/B is limited in space. any guesstimate as to how many to expect?

Are Hawks allowed too?

PS...been there MANY times, and Nelson and Andrea are wonderful hosts. Marlinton makes a great central location for day trips in all directions. Don't forget a day trip over to the New River bridge. Riding down into the gorge and back up the other side would be fun on the enduro. it was just a little iffy on my Concours.

Last edited by Sport Rider; 11-04-2020 at 04:31 PM.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:04 AM   #4

This is a great idea. I'll have to talk to the hubby about this. However, since we only have one RX3, I'd have to ride down on my Harley and him on the RX. We were looking for something to do around that timeframe. We might still go to Nova Scotia, but I'll see what he says about this.

Cheers!

2016 Zongshen RX3 (CSC Cyclone)

Pay it Forward!

Old 01-20-2017, 10:08 AM   #5

Peter, those photos look familiar.

I was there for a BMW rally about 10 years ago...can't find the photos.

I'm interested, but can't commit this far in advance.

As I recall, there isn't a lot of parking available at the Clark Inn. Is there somewhere nearby to park a car and trailer?

jb

Old 01-20-2017, 11:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
As I recall, there isn't a lot of parking available at the Clark Inn. Is there somewhere nearby to park a car and trailer?

jb
I have always parked my trailer by the side of the Inn. I'm sure Nelson can point out a good place to park stuff. This is not his first rodeo! It seems to me that they max out somewhere around 20-25 folks. When we exceeded that number he arranged lodging for the overflow at nearby places.

Madsocial, don't worry about showing up on a HD. I would expect this to include an eclectic group of people and a variety of bikes. It would be a shame to only hang out with people who own the same bike....and then buy something different....only to fear being shunned by the group. I'd like to think I'm better than that.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
Peter, those photos look familiar.

I was there for a BMW rally about 10 years ago...can't find the photos.

I'm interested, but can't commit this far in advance.

jb
I've seen several park across the street against the fence by the Southern States material yard.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:49 PM   #8

You should contact Carl Parker, aka 'Crazy Carl', the guy who founded and owns mychinamoto.com and is the publisher and editor of advmoto magazine. He is based in Virginia, and perhaps would want to do an article on your get together, as he is relatively nearby (relatively for a magazine). I am quite certain his magazine has reviewed the RX3 already.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-20-2017, 03:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsocial View Post
This is a great idea. I'll have to talk to the hubby about this. However, since we only have one RX3, I'd have to ride down on my Harley and him on the RX. We were looking for something to do around that timeframe. We might still go to Nova Scotia, but I'll see what he says about this.

Cheers!
I'm sure no one would object to a Harley Davidson. It would be pretty hippricital for us to be discriminating
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 01-20-2017, 08:03 PM   #10

Being a 2008, it's possible Rania's H-D has some Zongshen produced parts in the engine.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:11 PM   #11

Dates may work out for me in August - would be nice to take a trip south with Rex. Following this thread.
IBA#65836

2005 BMW F650gs
2008 Yamaha XT250
2013 Yamaha XT250
2009 Suzuki Gladius

Old 01-23-2017, 12:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
I have always parked my trailer by the side of the Inn. I'm sure Nelson can point out a good place to park stuff. This is not his first rodeo! It seems to me that they max out somewhere around 20-25 folks. When we exceeded that number he arranged lodging for the overflow at nearby places.

Madsocial, don't worry about showing up on a HD. I would expect this to include an eclectic group of people and a variety of bikes. It would be a shame to only hang out with people who own the same bike....and then buy something different....only to fear being shunned by the group. I'd like to think ChinaRiders is better than that.

fixed.... and i agree... shouldnt matter what you bring, its always fun meeting new people...

Old 01-23-2017, 01:59 PM   #13

Subject to when Zongshen schedules their Africa adventure ride, count me in. We're doing a cross-country ride this summer, and if the Zongshen ride doesn't interfere, I'll work it so that we arrive in WV for this event.

Old 01-23-2017, 05:59 PM   #14

Joe, that would be awesome. I have a few books I'd like you to sign!

Old 01-24-2017, 11:47 AM   #15

OMG! You are guys are too funny! My husband loves the idea of this. It would be amazing to meet you all.

We'll start looking at some routes and working it in our calendar.

2016 Zongshen RX3 (CSC Cyclone)

Pay it Forward!