Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2016, 08:57 PM   #1

TT250 Lower Seat Kit

Well, I got Mrs. 2LZ seat kit in from CSC. As normal, delivered very fast.

I got the old seat cover and foam off and I'll just say this. I can do most things when it comes to wrenching, but I've learned today that I'm NOT an upholstery guy.....especially if you want it to look as perfect as the pictures.

I'm taking it all to an upholstery shop. I wish the rest of you the best of luck. ;-)
There must be a knack or technique at this.....

If anyone has done a supreme job on this new seat kit, please post it!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 09-06-2016, 11:55 AM   #2

I've only recovered a Roketa seat, but it turned out rather well. I bought some UV-rated vinyl from the local fabric store (enough to do two seats) for cheap; it was called Daytona. I followed the instructions on Youtube by mrmaxstorey, and it wasn't difficult.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-06-2016, 12:03 PM   #3

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-06-2016, 02:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Well, I got Mrs. 2LZ seat kit in from CSC. As normal, delivered very fast.

I got the old seat cover and foam off and I'll just say this. I can do most things when it comes to wrenching, but I've learned today that I'm NOT an upholstery guy.....especially if you want it to look as perfect as the pictures.

I'm taking it all to an upholstery shop. I wish the rest of you the best of luck. ;-)
There must be a knack or technique at this.....

If anyone has done a supreme job on this new seat kit, please post it!
For that much money CSC is charging,you should get the entire seat ready to install on the bike.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I've only recovered a Roketa seat, but it turned out rather well. I bought some UV-rated vinyl from the local fabric store (enough to do two seats) for cheap; it was called Daytona. I followed the instructions on Youtube by mrmaxstorey, and it wasn't difficult.
I'll check this out, thanks Weld. I've recovered a few seats in the past....but as you may recall, older bikes had pretty flat, long seats. I recovered my Husky seat without a hitch but it's built like a banana. No real curves and contours like this lowered foam.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 09-06-2016, 02:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
For that much money CSC is charging,you should get the entire seat ready to install on the bike.
I didn't feel too bad about it. The last HD seat I bought for a project bike we built was almost 700.00.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 09-06-2016, 04:24 PM   #7

Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
I didn't feel too bad about it. The last HD seat I bought for a project bike we built was almost 700.00.
Wow! must have been a darned good seat! Local guy here will do a custom foam/fabric deal for around 200.00 using the expensive multidensity closed cell(doesn't absorb water and seriously more comfortable). course i'm not in californiA :_) heheh.
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 09-06-2016, 05:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeerAtlas View Post
Wow! must have been a darned good seat! Local guy here will do a custom foam/fabric deal for around 200.00 using the expensive multidensity closed cell(doesn't absorb water and seriously more comfortable). course i'm not in californiA :_) heheh.
It was a custom seat made by LaPera to specific specs. Fortunately, it wasn't my money ;-). Spending others money is always much more fun!
This is what I DIDN'T buy for my Victory TC. "Off the shelf" and NOT cheap.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/zz80...2vkaAjpK8P8HAQ

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 09-06-2016, 07:52 PM   #9

I watched the seat cover video.

He used a dryer to heat and stretch fabric. I use a heat gun or hair dryer to get all them little spots that don't stretch evenly/

He used a manual staple gun. I use a $15 electric that will sink the staples all the way. When you use a hammer to bury them you bend a lot over cutting the fabric.

The less do overs the better the job comes out and it stays looking good.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:50 AM   #10

I like the electric stapler idea. My hands aren't what they used to be.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:07 PM   #11

We always used air staplers in my father's upholstery shop. Really speeds things along. A heat gun or a steamer can greatly help smooth things out, along with a bit of patience!

Old 09-07-2016, 05:34 PM   #12

One of these will do the trick. http://www.harborfreight.com/20-gaug...ler-68029.html

Frequently on sale for less or there's the ubiquitous (big word for a sasquatch!) 20% off coupons. Oddly enough, HF doesn't sell the staples that fit this gun. Gotto go to HD or Lowes

Old 09-09-2016, 04:15 PM   #13

Quote:
I just got a seat concepts complete seat for my wr250x it was almost $300 so just saying!!!!

Old 09-10-2016, 08:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
I just got a seat concepts complete seat for my wr250x it was almost $300 so just saying!!!!
At least it was complete, the problem I have wit csc is they are selling 2/3 of a seat.

Old 09-10-2016, 01:09 PM   #15

Quote:
At least it was complete, the problem I have wit csc is they are selling 2/3 of a seat.
Oh! Believe me, I totally understand! Being a guy who can do 90% of his own work, I was upset that I was having a hard time upholstering this damn thing. I knew I had to get it into someone else's hands before i wrecked it.

It ended up being an hour labor to get it professionally done but again, if I'd had kept going, I would have had 159.00 worth of scraps.

There's little doubt in my mind that CSC will probably end up ordering a bunch of seat pans and then send them to Seat Concepts. Probably just a matter of time and complaints.

All said and done though, I'm glad I did it. Mrs. 2LZ is happy and can reach the ground much better now, and it's comfortable....plus it's that nice Seat Concepts upholstery with the cool panel stitching compared to the stock stretchy stuff. I think it turned out nice!....though rather costly in the end. If you know an upholsterer who will work for dinner and beer, all the better.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Last edited by 2LZ; 02-06-2019 at 10:18 AM.