Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2015, 03:03 AM   #1

dual sport rambling

While I was perusing the list of sellers of 250cc (actual 239cc) I got to Countyimports.com, and looks like they have a new 250cc bike there. Here it is:

http://countyimports.com/inc/sdetail...--/45335/22312

It has, a rarity on a dual sport, either cast wheels, or some kind of giant spokes on it. It's a bit more than the 1200-$1400 bikes I've seen, but still a lot less than the SSR 250.

I think I may actually order myself a Chinabike, maybe this week. I still have to settle the matter of, would I rather get a Honda CT70 clone, as barnone has, or a full sized dual sport motorcycle. If I get the latter, I have decided to spend a bit more and get a 250 (239cc!) rather than a 200. The tiny 29cc difference should help the bike on the 45-55mph highways here.

The CT clone, since barnone has done the homework, would be pretty straightforward. I even have the part number of the 17 tooth front sprocket, and can get it through Amazon.

Here is the bikes I have narrowed it down to:

http://www.powerrideoutlet.com/pro-s...50cc-bike.html

That bike is $1098.99 plus $239.95 shipping (according to the calculator on the web site), so a total of $1338.90.

Superior powersports.com is $1.00 more on the Hawk.

Here is the third bike:

http://www.motobuys.com/vento-hen-enduro-250cc.html

They call this one the Vento. They want $1349.00, but I have tried three times to get a shipping quote from them, and they are ignoring me.

And, here is the best price on the CT70 clone:

http://powersporthub.com/roketa-124c...cle-mc-34.html

So, $810.00, plus, these guys are charging $500 shipping for everything, so $1310.00.

BY the way, thay have the TRex at the lowest price I've seen, $1060.00 plus $500 freight. Some sellers have that balloon tired bike as high as $1850 plus freight. I rejected that interesting bike, when I had zero luck finding anyone that sells tires that size.

Think I will call Motobuys and give them one last shot at it.

I was going to drive 125 each way to Kona to look at a 2008 Yamaha V Star 650 with lots of goddies and under 10,000 miles. The owner started at $400.00, then went to $3800.00, now he's at $3000.00. Probably a nice street bike, but then I started researching that bike, and maintenance issues. A v twin with dual carburetors AND a fuel pump. To adjust valves, you must rip and tear, and those twin carbs must come off, so one must resyncronize. A gent that did the valve adjustment for his first time, said it took him 6 hours. I could probably beat that by quite a bit, but, geez. Do I really want to have to go through all that? Plus, the "maintenance-free" driveshaft, to prevent the splined sections from stripping out those splines, needs to be removed, cleaned up, and greased every year. Those parts are expensive should they get worn out.d have been nce to have one bike that could haul the two of us from Hilo to Kona and back.

So, I'm back to the plan of getting a dual sport, and then keeping the two scooters we also have, a 2009 Kymco People 150, and a 2008 SYM HD200. We have lots of dirt and gravel roads around here that sometimes are almost impassable in a car. Lots of gravel roads for me to explore. So, I have to decide between a full sized dual sport, or the CT clone that barnone seems to really like a lot. I'd like to do the order hopefully, this comung week.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:54 AM   #2

The county imports bike looks like a super moto from the picture with mag wheels ,probably pretty good on the street but not so great off road .If the trex is the suzuki rv clone ,we are now running street legal quad tires on the old rv bikes so tires are not too bad to find ( I have 3 vintage rv's ) .Pitster pro has a version of that bike ,usually they have better parts availability .

Old 09-13-2015, 07:30 AM   #3

As a person who reads weeks before I buy something ,I looked at the bikes you listed I would go with the pro spec d one. The ct70 are ok but would go with the dual sport so you can go off road and look t waterfalls and stuff.Those little wheels ar for streets , you dont see people taking ct70 on expeditions the 21 wheel and hp will get you through a lot more I think and look way cooler. Just my opinion .

motorcycle: lifan dual sport "crankenstein"
Born of parts from all over the globe,laying rubber in a town near you!

Last edited by demidestructo; 09-13-2015 at 07:30 AM. Reason: spelling error

Old 09-13-2015, 12:10 PM   #4

I agree; a dual sport motorcycle is a lot more versatile. Being unable to get a shipping quote is a bad sign. Therefore, I would get the bike linked below.

http://www.powerrideoutlet.com/pro-s...50cc-bike.html

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-13-2015, 05:11 PM   #5

You see the odd nut taking a CT70 on an expedition, but I'd feel better with larger wheels. If I was using the bike the way Barnone does, I'd gravitate towards a CT70 clone.

I wish there was a clone of the CT90; that would give you the light weight and easy servicing of a horizontal clone (presumably 125cc), plus larger wheels.

For your intended use, Jon, I'd go with a dual sport.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-13-2015, 06:07 PM   #6

I wish the Chinese makers would make a trail 90 clone. The SYM Symba was close, but not quite orr-roady enough. Plus, SYM has apparently dropped that bike from it's lineup. Too bad, as I heard good things about it.

Right now, I am leaning towards the Hawk.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:05 PM   #7

The countyimports bike is interesting--one for the mag wheels, but two because it is a BMS. BMS and SSR are somewhat direct competitors of each other--heck, they have many of the exact same bike (OEM by ZNEN)! BMS and SSR are among the top o' the Chinabike heap, which would make me feel better ordering the BMS bike. Heck, even CSC is getting in the low-cost enduro game!

I wish there was more support for both the Bashan offerings and the (Hensim) Hawk (I believe someone mentioning Hensim on their manufacturer plate when they took possession of their Hawk, but it does look like the old Hensim dual sport when we had it here). There is a good video on youtube on the Hawk being test ridden in China by China Moto Rider (I think the ex-pats who started China Moto Rider were/are members here).

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 09-13-2015, 07:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce's View Post
The county imports bike looks like a super moto from the picture with mag wheels ,probably pretty good on the street but not so great off road .If the trex is the suzuki rv clone ,we are now running street legal quad tires on the old rv bikes so tires are not too bad to find ( I have 3 vintage rv's ) .Pitster pro has a version of that bike ,usually they have better parts availability .
not trying to knock ya bro, but i ride a supermoto, and unless theres mud, its just as capable as a dirt bike... i was out buzzing trails on it friday, and never thought i would need more traction... i was even doing dirt hill climbs...i honestly feel its more rider skills to use what you have than the bike it self...

Old 09-13-2015, 08:14 PM   #9

I have owned several supermotos ,real ones usually come with a set of dirt wheels if they are to be used much off road ,if they are such great dirt bikes why would anybody bother with a second set of $1500.00 wheels ? At best they are a compromise that's weighed more to street than dirt ,but depending on intended use (I don't know the op or his riding area ) that might be fine .I was just pointing that out as he didn't seem to understand why the bike had mag wheels ,and not sure if he noticed the street tires .

Old 09-13-2015, 08:37 PM   #10

Hmm..That bike, the engine looks a bit different. And, they call in the Haojin? Are they related to Hensim? Sounds like the Hawk, at least, uses front sprockets the same as some Honda's. So, maybe more parts like rear hub bolts and such? The Haojin in the video seems pretty nice. I keep seeing the same ignition switch on quite a few Chinabikes. It's sealed in a piece of tin it appears. And, it looks like the Hawk comes with pretty aggressive tires.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:36 PM   #11

A couple of things I like about the Hawk. First, it has traditional forks rather than inverted. I just have a feeling that inverted forks, and a Chinese version at that, may just have more of a tendency to leak. I may be wrong. Next, the forks on the Hawk have gaitors to protect the chromed, polished area on the fork tube that contacts the seal. Less chance of a rock hitting that area, leaving a chip, which then may damage the seal, etc, etc. Kick AND electric starting (hear that Japan's "big four")? Screw type valve adjusters, and, I believe, even a push rod engine?? A carburetor! Why is that good? Because I know the basics of working on these. There were some Japanese bikes (dual sport thumpers) that actually had twin carbs. Twin carbs on a single!! Yamaha XT550, and a Honda as I recall. A centerstand would be nice, but they have gone the way of the dodo. If I have to fix a flat, I'll find a way to support the bike. I hope it comes with a gravity operated fuel shut off valve, and NOT a vacuum operated one. Riders from my generation do NOT forget to shut off the fuel valve when parking. I consider vacuum operated stuff as unneeded complexity. I wish the Hawk had twin shocks instead of a single shock with bushings, pivots, etc, etc. Does it have grease fittings on those pivots? I would guess not.

I am all for simplicity, durability, ease of maintenance. But, then, I'm soon to be 62 with 54 years of riding behind me. Hope I have enough skills to take care of anything this bike may need myself. I have no way to machine or weld anything.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:40 PM   #12

I really like that County Imports bike. Price is just a tad high but it may very well be worth it.

/

Old 09-14-2015, 12:11 AM   #13

Yes, it looks pretty good. I zoomed in to see what it says on the plastic on the side. Looks like it says, Motaro, or, Motard. It also says they have only one left.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:58 AM   #14

And, I have looked at the Kawasaki KLX250SM, and the Suzuki DRZ400SM. One thing I liked about both is the lower seat height. Bikes like the Honda XR650L, and the DRZ400S are, at 37", too darn high for me. I have my share of offroad riding experience over the years, but would hate to be on a trail, stop, put my foot down, find out that my foot is over a low spot, and go down like the trike rider in the old Laugh In tv show...

Old 09-18-2015, 10:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjn View Post
While I was perusing the list of sellers of 250cc (actual 239cc) I got to Countyimports.com, and looks like they have a new 250cc bike there. Here it is:

It has, a rarity on a dual sport, either cast wheels, or some kind of giant spokes on it. It's a bit more than the 1200-$1400 bikes I've seen, but still a lot less than the SSR 250.
I think I found the origin of this bike

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...al-sport-250cc

Might be worth a few hundred extra!?

Also, Wade just sent a TMEC to a dealer in Hawaii (not sure the island). I mentioned you, and he said he has a price. If you read my post about the blow-out pricing on the TMECs, he has them for $1100, plus a few hundred to Hawaii; call him for pricing, however...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard