Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2010, 05:30 PM   #31

Location: Wheeling, WV native currently living In Natchitoches, LA
Send a message via AIM to BrianW
Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
I suggest modding the gas cap to accept any key. You should be able to remove the tumblers.

With that new engine get a better air filter and exhaust.

Not sure what you do about titling it.
I'm going to try to remove the tumblers inside the lock. That is a great idea I never thought of. I will certainly get a better air filter, but I sorta like the stock exhaust. I will probably just take the cat out, as suggested to me before.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:49 PM   #32

Yeah, I like the way that pipe looks as well. If you have access to a welder, just draw an index line down the length of the cat, then cut it in two and gut the stuffing. Line up the index line and weld it back up.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:54 PM   #33

Yep, great way to justify a MIG welder.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-17-2010, 02:58 PM   #34

I was riding around at lunch and a scooter store over by the University had a Madass out front. Appeared to be a new one. It was yellow.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25
I was riding around at lunch and a scooter store over by the University had a Madass out front. Appeared to be a new one. It was yellow.
They look bigger in real life, in my opinion. I never expected them to be so large.

Update: Just got the old engine pulled off with some help from my neighbor. Next I am going to take it all apart to paint it (using Valspar Tractor paint, Allis Chalmers Orange) then rewire everything with the help of some people that know what the heck they're doing...cause I sure don't.

I have another question, though. The label that says the general info pertaining to the bike (ie. displacement, type of brakes, etc.) can I remove that label to paint the frame or should I just mask it and paint around it? I would like to get this bike back to street legality, of course if I can get the title situation figured out, and I have read that a state trooper has to come and inspect the bike before it can be registered. I did not know if the trooper would need to see that sticker?

Old 09-18-2010, 03:12 PM   #36

Better to err on the safe side. I'd tape it off, and be sure to tell the DMV and the Trooper that you changed the colour.

Excellent colour choice, BTW.

On the wiring: I wouldn't change much. Take the time to swap the flywheel and stator plate from your existing engine to your new engine, and everything should be painless. The new engine is not likely equipped with a lighting coil, so the original stuff is a better idea.

Also, if the ignition currently consists of two wires twisted together, it should be very easy to pick up any old keyed switch from a China bike parts supplier, Tractor Supply or JC Whitney. Like this one: http://www.jcwhitney.com/all-purpose...wx?filterid=j1

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-18-2010, 03:23 PM   #37

Personally.....I would not go any farther until you have the title sorted out, it would be a damn shame to get one's hard work seized, without even a thank-you!

(mask around any existing number plates)

Old 09-18-2010, 03:26 PM   #38

That's true. The possibility exists that this bike was stolen at some point.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:22 PM   #39

oh, crap. I never thought of that.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:06 AM   #40

In Canada, we have a website where we can run a VIN and see if it comes back stolen. It's designed for use by people who spot suspicious cars in the neighbourhood, but it works well for CL purchases too.

Maybe you can find a US site like that.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:14 AM   #41

It all seems to depend on the attitude of law enforcement where you live. I have had the police seize what they called "suspicious vehicles" for up to 3 months, storing them in "the great outdoors", until they were satisfied, either through their efforts (very little), or mine, that I was in "lawful possession". Other times I have had a police person sign off after a quick inspection (a glance) of some "junk" in the back of a pick-up truck. It's a crap-shoot, as far as I'm concerned, and at this point in time I don't buy ANYTHING without a title, and when someone tells me how easy it will be to get a title, I add $20 to the purchase price and insist if they want to sell me something then they can do it (I have never heard back from someone that has told me that).

OH! I forgot: you usually are expected to pay for storage.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:39 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
...On the wiring: I wouldn't change much. Take the time to swap the flywheel and stator plate from your existing engine to your new engine, and everything should be painless. The new engine is not likely equipped with a lighting coil, so the original stuff is a better idea...
My new engine arrived via fedex yesterday. I am going to attempt to do this procedure tonight after I get done with my massive amount of homework and my 8pm class.

As for the motor, it is brand spankin' new still in the Lifan cardboard box. It came with practically everything I need, except for a clutch handle. Also came with a brand name Mikuni carb stamped "Made in Japan". This purchase was well worth the money and my previous link will take you to the auction i purchased it from. Great seller and very fast shipping- highly recommended.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:12 AM   #43

You should have gotten a title when you bought it? What was the reason that you did not get a title?

I would say that when you attempt to get a title the first thing they will ask is were is the original title. Your actually doing work on a motorcycle that is still owned by whoever’s name that is on the original title.

Getting that straightened out first is good advice.

The last person that registered the motorcycle is about the only person that can get a title, if it was lost they were the last person that can prove they own it. Think about it, the title gets it registered, you cannot register it unless you can prove you own it.

When you buy the motorcycle your actually buying a title, the holder has to sign it over to you. Otherwise legally you do not own it. Did you get a receipt from the seller? That receipt should have had details as to why the title was missing and also would have to be notarized. If the person that sold it never registered it, then why?

It’s going to take some time, but basically they will not allow a title pending a search across all states for a report that it was stolen. Having a statement/receipt from a previous registered owner that the title was lost would help.

Stop working on it if you suspect it’s stolen you will be forced to give it up. The only real numbers that matters is the VIN stamped on the neck.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:52 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oengus
You should have gotten a title when you bought it? What was the reason that you did not get a title?

I would say that when you attempt to get a title the first thing they will ask is were is the original title. Your actually doing work on a motorcycle that is still owned by whoever’s name that is on the original title.

Getting that straightened out first is good advice.

The last person that registered the motorcycle is about the only person that can get a title, if it was lost they were the last person that can prove they own it. Think about it, the title gets it registered, you cannot register it unless you can prove you own it.

When you buy the motorcycle your actually buying a title, the holder has to sign it over to you. Otherwise legally you do not own it. Did you get a receipt from the seller? That receipt should have had details as to why the title was missing and also would have to be notarized. If the person that sold it never registered it, then why?

It’s going to take some time, but basically they will not allow a title pending a search across all states for a report that it was stolen. Having a statement/receipt from a previous registered owner that the title was lost would help.

Stop working on it if you suspect it’s stolen you will be forced to give it up. The only real numbers that matters is the VIN stamped on the neck.
I am not so worried about it being stolen anymore, as I have a friend at the DMV that did a VIN search on it. I knew if it came back hot he would not turn me in. :wink: It came back clear.

My thought process before knowing for sure that it was not stolen was that if all else fails, I would have a very strange looking off-road bike. i wouldn't have gotten myself into a situation for it to be legally seized.

Thank you for all of your input so far, gentlemen.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:12 AM   #45

if it had come back stolen, you should have done the right thing and turned it in. so that way the og owner could get their bike back, then turn around and turn in the person who sold it to you and also sue them if they did not return the money.

its a karma thing, i turn in wallets and other stuff if i find. cuz if i ever loose something or have it stolen i would want some one to turn it in so i could get it back. also the last time i ran off and left my wallet at a gas station at 2am, the manager mailed it back to me with the 134 dollars i had in it.. i went back and gave him 50 bucks for returning it..