Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2010, 11:48 PM   #1

Uni Pod Air filter?

Any suggestions on where to pick one of these up for my Gio Beast? Im in Port Moody BC so hopefully something close by? Thanks!

Old 07-08-2010, 11:45 AM   #2

I've bought a few from Clearbrook Yamaha in Abbotsford (really good guys), but you could likely order one from any bike shop. CR in Maple Ridge might be a good bet.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-08-2010, 03:08 PM   #3

Isn't there a Yamahaha dealer in Port Moody? Checkpoint or something? Think I've seen some craigslist ads of theirs..

Old 07-09-2010, 12:00 AM   #4

Yes i was going to Checkpoint tomorrow to see what they have. picked up the ngk racing wire and plug today so cant wait to put it all on and hopefully it fires up! Thanks for all the help!

Old 07-09-2010, 03:36 AM   #5

You'll just need to measure the air intake/filter area of the carb and get the uni pod that fits. Most dealers will have a book that shows them by size..

Old 07-09-2010, 11:14 AM   #6

Depending on the supplier they use (Motovan, Steen Hansen, Parts Canada), it might help to bring the part number along. I used UP4152AST.

http://www.unifilter.com/online%20ca...universal.html

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-09-2010, 08:13 PM   #7

Thanks weldandgrind! Do you have the mikuni carb on your beast? Just wondering if It is the same one i need. I Put my ngk wire and plug on today and got it fired up! Just needs a little tweaking to get it running nicely, any suggestions? Hope im not a pain in the ass asking all these questions but you guys have been so helpful! Thanks again!

Old 07-09-2010, 10:14 PM   #8

Not to worry, I'm feeling no pain.

As mentioned, new front shocks are really important. If you ride with the terrible stockers, you'll pound the control arm bushings and make the front end really sloppy.

The swingarm bushings should be changed so that the swingarm tracks vertically with no lateral movement. Ask TurboT how much fun it is to have the chain come off while you're crossing a creek.

Tweak the air / fuel screw so that there is no bog when you rapidly open the throttle. As well, the correct air / fuel setting should produce maximum rpm for a given idle speed. IOW, set the idle to whatever you wish, and then trim the air / fuel screw to see if the idle increases (meaning that the air / fuel wasn't ideal).

Watch the plug. If it turns black, the carb is too rich; white is too lean. Look for a greyish-tan colour (apologies if you already knew that). If it is not correct, move the clip on the slider. Let us know if you need guidance on that.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:25 AM   #9

AIR FILTER

you should be able to get a K & N Filter for these... and then that way all you have to do is clean them.. and they are better.. cost is around $26.00