Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2008, 12:53 PM   #1

Gas shut-off leaking

On my GY-3, ever since I went to av gas, I have noticed a leak at the shut-off valve.

Not a great deal, but over 24 hours, it will leak enough to run down to the bottom of the crankcase, but not enough to drip off.

It is easily noticeable with the blue color in the av gas I use, and I have checked all the screws close to the valve, and they are all tight.

I do not use the cut-off valve, as I have never had a problem with the carb overflowing.

Has anyone else had this problem -- any suggestions/ideas ?

Like a small plumbing leak, if I leave it alone, will it eventually seal itself ?

Luke, 11: 21

Old 10-20-2008, 07:48 PM   #2

I have a GL50 top-tank. I used some good fuel and on mine, it melted the plastic bowl on the bottom of the petcock. I still have not found a replacement but have managed to epoxy it so it doesnt leak. Do you have a plastic bowl? Could be the same thing that happened to me.

Eric in Mi.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:29 PM   #3

Eric, now that you mention plastic, the filter in the gas line is a white, semi-translucent plastic and a little of the "blue" is seeping out of it, too.

The carb on the Trailrider is all metal, but there could be a sensitive O-ring inside the cut-off -- I don't know . . .

As stated, the problem is very minor at present, and if it doesn't get worse, all it will take is a 10 second wipe with a cloth every few days to remove the "blue" stain, and I guess I could learn to live with that, but it is just one of those things that "shouldn't happen" and it bothers me a little, especially on a bike with considerably less than 100 miles on it . . .

Could be that the av gas was too large a leap -- maybe standard unleaded regular without the ethanol added would do the trick.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:14 PM   #4

Av fuel has many corrosive additives. Most of it is to keep moisture out of the fuel at high altitudes. They also need higher octane for a slower burn in high compression engines or high altitudes. I have used about a 5% mix of nitro in regular pump gas and have had great luck with it over the years. Not in my China bike though. It melted the plastic petcock (fuel shut-off/on/reserve) bowl and it is lucky that I noticed it as it would have most likely contaminated the fuel to the point of clogging a jet perhaps. I suspect that the Av fuel had the same result on one of the plastic pieces of your fuel intake. I have also seen it corrode certain metals so yes, unless you are running 12:1 compression or higher, the need for Av gas or any high octane for that matter, may not be worth the risk. The higher the octane, the slower it burns and if your compression chamber does not have enough compression and air to ignite the fuel, it just goes out the exhaust unburned and is wasted. Octane is just something you need enough of, too much just costs you more at the pump. I have heard some other arguments about higher octane fuel being cleaner of refined better and may have additives to keep fuel injectors clean, fuel lines, etc. Fuel is fuel. Find a station that you trust and stick with it. Just my 2 cents. In any case, hope you find the leak..

Eric in Mi.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:07 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to china_parts_canada
Re: Gas shut-off leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by winwun
On my GY-3, ever since I went to av gas, I have noticed a leak at the shut-off valve.

Not a great deal, but over 24 hours, it will leak enough to run down to the bottom of the crankcase, but not enough to drip off.

It is easily noticeable with the blue color in the av gas I use, and I have checked all the screws close to the valve, and they are all tight.

I do not use the cut-off valve, as I have never had a problem with the carb overflowing.

Has anyone else had this problem -- any suggestions/ideas ?

Like a small plumbing leak, if I leave it alone, will it eventually seal itself ?
Sounds a little aggressive to me using AV gas in your bike. China recommends a premium grade gas in all of the Honda look-a-like engines and if I were you I think I might stick with that.

The shut off may very well be leaking and depending who manufactured that part you either need to replace it, if it is indeed the problem. Or if it has small screws instead of rivets on the face of it you can likely just get a new o-ring and put it in.

Since it is a new bike I would bet dollars to donuts it is the in-line fuel filter though. I have had many of those plastic filters start to leak on new bikes. They must be using a poor quality glue or are just not putting enough on them so that they do seal.

If you need a new shut off or a filter I have them both in stock but hopefully where you bought your bike they should fix that problem up for you.

Cheers,

Art

Old 11-05-2008, 02:31 AM   #6

When using AV Fuel or E-85 Ethanol, it all has to be drained & flushed after the ride is over. Otherwise all rubber gaskets & grommets not specifically made for it will be eaten alive.----Proflow

Old 11-05-2008, 08:13 PM   #7

winwun i have not had any leak problems yet with fuel but i did change the fuel line and the filter the china factory isnt exactly quality before i done anything else i would change the line and filter your lawn mower shop can fix you up get the colored clear line and a good filter i have seen the av gas eat or leak the factory filter but i never leave the line on any of my bikes
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 11-06-2008, 07:47 AM   #8

Thanks for the heads-up, Phil -- I really appreciate it . . .

What's involved in getting to the tank end of the gas line ?

Old 11-06-2008, 07:11 PM   #9

seat open remove the battery and tray i think there may be a bolt or two but the tank will slide back and up and out while your in there dont forget to put some greese and zip tie the wire connectors so they wont come unplugged
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next