Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Everything Else
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2018, 09:28 PM   #1

Head Scratching Comfortable Seat Pads

Anybody want to respond to my question of which aftermarket seat pad would you recommend?
How about Airhawk, saddleman gel pads, Alaska Leather sheep skins, and a lot of other brands.
Feel free to post the name and comfort level of seat pads that really made long distance motorcycle rides more comfortable.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:51 PM   #2

I have a Maddog on my CX. Pretty comfy in the long run, as long as it's dry. Not so much on a rainy day soaks up water like a sponge and shrinkage is involved, if you get my drift.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 04-06-2018, 01:51 AM   #3

I’ve been using Airhawks for the past 5 years. They guarantee to double your riding time or your $ back. Just set it and forget it. Never had a better seat cushion.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:44 AM   #4

Maybe I have just lost all feeling in my butt, or it's gotten fat enough that I no longer notice. I have tried a few different seat covers, gel, air, foam, a mix of the three. They never seemed to make a difference.

OK, so they do help a little bit, but in the end my rear was still sore, so I no longer use seat pads, and I can't honestly tell the difference lol.

Admittedly, a long ride for me is several hundred miles at a go. My last long ride was from Omaha to Yellowstone, to Glacier Park, to Mt. Raineer, and back to Omaha in the span of 6 days. My rear end hurt a bit.

The best seat pad/cover material I have ever used was a thick sheepskin cover.

The downside is that they do require care/maintenance to keep nice, and they can be rather expensive compared to some other options. A full pelt with straps - trim to fit - will generally cost $120, sometimes more.

The upsides are - conforming to the rear posterior region, breathes well and actually does help keep a sweaty but cool, but also keeps your cheeks from turning into ice cubes if it gets chilly.

The only thing I have ever wanted to try that I have yet to get around to is to put a sheepskin cover over a gel pad.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-06-2018, 09:35 AM   #5

Sheepskin works best for me. Have tried pretty much all options.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:06 AM   #6

Dan, the constantly moving air pockets in the Airhawk massage your butt and maintain good circulation, unlike all the other types of pads which are essentially just a form of a cushion. Money back guarantee so you can’t go wrong.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:20 PM   #7

The problem with the Airhawk pad, for my butt, is that the I couldn't shift the pressure points. Because it is air filled, the pressure is pretty evenly spread across my butt. On a long ride I need to be able to shift position to shift the pressure points.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
The problem with the Airhawk pad, for my butt, is that the I couldn't shift the pressure points. Because it is air filled, the pressure is pretty evenly spread across my butt. On a long ride I need to be able to shift position to shift the pressure points.
This x2.

Not saying the Airhawk is a bad cover/pad by any means. I actually had one on a previous bike, and it was very comfy!

A nice thick sheepskin cover also does a great job of spreading out the pressure on your tushy, but also allows you to shift around. Plus, like mentioned before, it has a nice insulating effect.

In the end it really just comes down to preference and riding style. I am constantly moving in my seat, either due to changing positions for riding needs, or to change my back alignment - I have a bad back with 1 surgery under my belt already. I found shifting around on the Airhawk to be laborious if not almost impossible. I felt locked in place, if that makes sense.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-06-2018, 04:28 PM   #9

For me, sheepskin gets even more comfortable when left out in the weather 24/7 for a long time. It gets matted down instead of fluffy, which is good.

One thing to be careful of with a sheepskin is ground squirrels. My favorite one was rendered bald when a squirrel decided the wool made great nesting material.