Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2018, 04:18 PM   #1

advise please

Plan to remove Lowering Link and re-install OEM rear shock link. Do you think it would be easier on me to take pre-load off shock and remove rear wheel? Plan to put rear tire on anyway. Also, wasn't there a thread some years ago around procedures for re-greasing a squeaky bearing down there? I got that going on too. Mostly which one is it that squeaks anyway.
Thanks for experienced advise only, gary

Last edited by GSC; 06-24-2018 at 07:48 PM.

Old 06-24-2018, 04:44 PM   #2

Gary, pulling the rear tire off will give you a lot of room back there, but not necessarily in the direction you need it. If you have to replace the tire anyways, go ahead and pull it. It might not be extra room exactly in the way you need it, but it may make sticking your head in there to see what you're doing easier. Depending on the kind of bike you've got, the bearing could be either a simple bronze bushing, or it could be a set of needle roller bearings. The procedure is pretty straight forward, slather grease all over the bronze bushing, or make sure you've got the grease really well worked into the needle bearing cavities. Nothing to it. Let us know how you make out with this project.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 07-06-2018, 10:18 PM   #3

did that piece of work today around re-installing the OEM dogbone link.
also re-greased both sets of needle bearings down there.
afraid i was making too much of an easy peezy job.
sometimes things just go together so well with no struggle, this was one of those jobs today. lucky i guess.
also replaced the large part of upper rear fender. parts calls it Rear Tray Under Seat. it was worn threw by my overzealous off road riding coupled with big block tires and lowering link. airbox fortunately still in tack. dented muffler from rear brake caliper bolt head will just have to stay i guess.
So back to OEM height, training days over! Right, still need to put front forks back down too. good time to try Dave Searle's tips on realigning forks of MCN July issue.
Special thanks to Pyoungbl delivered great advise via PM.