Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2023, 08:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbkr188 View Post
I just took a quick look at the TaoTao ATA110B I have here
What stops your axle from bouncing around inside the bearings/carrier?

Old 11-26-2023, 10:14 PM   #17

I can't see due to both hubs being so close to the carrier itself. That's why I asked if the hub flange fits into the bearings. The only way I would be able to see is to take it apart.

If the flange fits inside the bearing, my thought is this: the flange pushes against an inner sleeve between the two bearings, and with the other hub in place, you tighten the inner jamnut just snug enough on both sides that the axle will spin freely. Then tighten down the outer jamnut on both sides and jam them together, to lock the axle in place. The hub flanges then "center" the axle in the bearing.

The pic below makes me think the hub does fit inside the bearing race, The OD of the hub flange is 29.3mm

Old 11-26-2023, 10:50 PM   #18

Interesting. That one looks a little different than mine, but I'll know better once I get my new carrier. From what I've tried, I can't fit the flange into the bearings on what I've got currently though.

Old 11-26-2023, 10:54 PM   #19

This is what mine looks like

https://vttlachute.com/en/rear-suspe...tv-taotao.html

Old 12-12-2023, 04:52 PM   #20

I just received the new rear axle bearing carrier, and unfortunately it's just as I thought...

The axle is supported ONLY by the plastic dust shields over the bearings, and doesn't even use the actual bearings at all. What kind of design is that?? The axle would need to be much thicker than it is to fit Snug inside the bearings in order to actually be able to use them; it's no wonder the bearing carrier that was on the machine when I bought it was so worn out.

Hopefully I get the bushings I ordered off of ebay soon and am able to make them fit, but I'm just blown away at how terrible the rear axle design is on this atv. As it is, I don't see it lasting very long at all before the dust covers are blown out again, and the axle is free to flop around inside the bearing with all the extra space it has in there. The bearing serves no purpose whatsoever as it is...

Old 12-12-2023, 07:35 PM   #21

Did you get new bearings and the center spacer with the axle carrier, by any chance?
Also, is the diameter of the rear axle in the very center of it 24"?

Old 12-14-2023, 08:57 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbkr188 View Post
Did you get new bearings and the center spacer with the axle carrier, by any chance?
Also, is the diameter of the rear axle in the very center of it 24"?
Yes, it came with new bearings, and there is a brass coloured tube inside the carrier. Not sure if that's what you meant by spacer or not.

The diameter of the axle is 24mm, but the bearing diameter is 30mm

Old 01-01-2024, 09:42 AM   #23

I tried installing the 24x30mm stainless steel bearing sleeves that I got the other day; unfortunately they were too precise of a fit. They fit nicely inside the inner bearing, but it was too tough to get them to slip over the axle, so it's looking like I'm stuck with just using the axle spacer tubes and wheel nuts to tighten everything together so the sprocket and brake disc hubs are pressed tight up against the bearings, rather than actually riding IN the bearing... What a poor design.

Old 01-01-2024, 11:28 AM   #24

Do you think it would work if you took a little material out of the inner bushings with a lathe or possibly a hone or a reamer or ?

Old 01-04-2024, 07:56 AM   #25

Possibly, I don't have any of those tools though, aside from the reamer on my pipe threader, but that wouldn't really help in this case.

I may try ordering some 25x30mm sleeves. I found a site that sells brass and PTFE ones; my main worry is that by going to a larger bushing I'm going to have slack still, which will defeat the purpose if the axle still isn't tight