Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2020, 06:22 PM   #1

250 Cross country adventures?

I am trying to find YouTube references for anyone that has undertaken an epic cross country journey on a TBR7/Hawk/Brozz/250cc off-roader.... I’ve seen some short day trip stuff, but nothing on a serious trip... any links?

Old 09-13-2020, 07:12 PM   #2

"Ruta 40" Is mostly a gravel road, that goes from the top of Argentina to the bottom. The people here did that route with the same motorcycles that are sold in the US as Hawk, TAO TAO, CSC, etc.

The first one is around 13100 feet above sea level A somewhat narrow and dangerous part of the ruta 40.

Mountain Trails

Snow

Old 09-13-2020, 07:15 PM   #3

You will hear a lot of people say "This is a DEATH TRAP!!" "NOT SAFE for HIGHWAY!!".. Sorry to say but that's bull...

They are OK for Highway, just keep the right lane and don't expect to be overtaking trucks.... So if the idea of highway riding is to overtake all the cars while looking cool, then yes this motorcycle are not for highway...
If the idea is to have a fun ride without looking to break any speed record, then they are more than fine.

Old 09-14-2020, 01:46 AM   #4

Thanks!

Old 09-14-2020, 02:53 AM   #5

On the China Bikes North America group on Facebook, there was an epic, 10k mile journey done this past summer by a Chinese-American family from Texas. The husband and wife were on one bike and the son was on another. One of the bikes was a DR400 and the other one was a Hawk 250 (to be honest, I do not recall who was on what). Not sure where else they posted their updates, but they are the Choi family, so you might be able to find their story via Google if you are not part of the China Bikes North America group.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 09-14-2020, 03:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Dog View Post
You will hear a lot of people say "This is a DEATH TRAP!!" "NOT SAFE for HIGHWAY!!".. Sorry to say but that's bull...

They are OK for Highway, just keep the right lane and don't expect to be overtaking trucks.... So if the idea of highway riding is to overtake all the cars while looking cool, then yes this motorcycle are not for highway...
If the idea is to have a fun ride without looking to break any speed record, then they are more than fine.
I am not sure why we Americans always feel like we HAVE to be on interstate highways that are posted at 70, 75, or 80+ MPH to go on long motorcycle trips. There are numerous routes on 50 to 55 MPH back roads. There is an epic journey of a father/son from San Francisco who rode from San Francisco to New York City on Chinese bikes. The father was on a 125cc DAX replica and the son was on a 150cc step-through scooter. They made it with only a couple minor issues involving bolts that fell off (they were on Chinese bikes, after all ). They did it one way and flew back to San Francisco and the next summer did the opposite ride. They ended up turning it into a group ride in subsequent years divided into different classes (some people were on 50cc bikes), but they proved that one can ride on two-lane highways coast-to-coast going nowhere near interstate speeds. Going through the Rockies, there were parts where they were not exceeding 35 mph.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 09-14-2020, 05:15 AM   #7

A little variation on the theme, but interesting nonetheless: https://advrider.com/f/threads/la-to...-cscs.1453234/

Old 09-14-2020, 09:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I am not sure why we Americans always feel like we HAVE to be on interstate highways that are posted at 70, 75, or 80+ MPH to go on long motorcycle trips. There are numerous routes on 50 to 55 MPH back roads. There is an epic journey of a father/son from San Francisco who rode from San Francisco to New York City on Chinese bikes. The father was on a 125cc DAX replica and the son was on a 150cc step-through scooter. They made it with only a couple minor issues involving bolts that fell off (they were on Chinese bikes, after all ). They did it one way and flew back to San Francisco and the next summer did the opposite ride. They ended up turning it into a group ride in subsequent years divided into different classes (some people were on 50cc bikes), but they proved that one can ride on two-lane highways coast-to-coast going nowhere near interstate speeds. Going through the Rockies, there were parts where they were not exceeding 35 mph.
Is not only an US thing. Here is somewhat the same, where these single cylinder chinese motorcycle are seen as "delivery" only motorcycles.....
Even some goes as far as saying that you need at least two cylinders for the motorcycle to be highway worthy......
I think is quite silly, but everyone has different point of views...

I'm sure that the father and son had a great time doing that trip on those motorcycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
A little variation on the theme, but interesting nonetheless: https://advrider.com/f/threads/la-to...-cscs.1453234/

It seems they had a blast. More people will eventually try to do that kind trip and they find that with a properly maintained chinese bike is quite a nice experience.
These little engines will never beat their bigger Euro and Japanese counterparts that's for sure, but hell they are fun to ride

Old 09-18-2020, 08:01 PM   #9

Choi Family Adventures

Day 1 video here:

This is the family Culcune mentioned earlier. That Hawk 250 not only survived the trip but proved to be more reliable than the Suzuki DR650 they were also riding. That Hawk has over 13,000 miles on it now and is still chugging along just fine.

Old 09-19-2020, 01:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusman View Post
Day 1 video here:

This is the family Culcune mentioned earlier. That Hawk 250 not only survived the trip but proved to be more reliable than the Suzuki DR650 they were also riding. That Hawk has over 13,000 miles on it now and is still chugging along just fine.
Great find, Dusman!

Found the 'Scooters across America' thread from advrider as well:
https://advrider.com/f/threads/scoot...w-york.988742/

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 09-20-2020, 01:08 AM   #11

Quote:

Yeah, GPS Kevin (the TAT maps dude)
I'm kind of envious of that trip, Seems like it would be epic on a dax clone.
J

Old 09-20-2020, 01:17 AM   #12

Quote:
"Ruta 40" Is mostly a gravel road, that goes from the top of Argentina to the bottom. The people here did that route with the same motorcycles that are sold in the US as Hawk, TAO TAO, CSC, etc.

The first one is around 13100 feet above sea level A somewhat narrow and dangerous part of the ruta 40.

Mountain Trails

Snow

These are the videos that make me lean to adding motorcycle trips in Central and South America to my bucket list. I know that Mexico has a Lifan dealer network, and with me living within a few miles of the border, I am tempted to try a 'practice' run on a Lifan X-Pect in the near future. Once I get used to the Lifan, I probably would have no qualms riding it across the US, or at least substantial parts of the US, on two-lane highways, as opposed to interstates, like the guys on the CSC bikes or the father/son did on the the scooter and DAX clone.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 09-20-2020, 05:08 AM   #13

Quote:
These are the videos that make me lean to adding motorcycle trips in Central and South America to my bucket list. I know that Mexico has a Lifan dealer network, and with me living within a few miles of the border, I am tempted to try a 'practice' run on a Lifan X-Pect in the near future. Once I get used to the Lifan, I probably would have no qualms riding it across the US, or at least substantial parts of the US, on two-lane highways, as opposed to interstates, like the guys on the CSC bikes or the father/son did on the the scooter and DAX clone.
There are lot of Europeans doing exactly doing Central and South America trips on Honda or Chinese motorcycles. Honda has a huge market on both Central and South, so find parts is extremly easy, unless you ride a very odd Honda motorcycle.

Same goes for the Chinese, parts for the CG and CB are guaranteed

Old 09-21-2020, 10:17 AM   #14

Quote:
There are lot of Europeans doing exactly doing Central and South America trips on Honda or Chinese motorcycles. Honda has a huge market on both Central and South, so find parts is extremly easy, unless you ride a very odd Honda motorcycle.

Same goes for the Chinese, parts for the CG and CB are guaranteed
Heck yeah. If anyone rides down to Brazil, bring back a pannier full of WGK camshafts for the CG and sell them up here in the US!

Save on the shipping..

I'm watching Long Way Up on AppleTV now.. opposite way most ride the pan-American route.

Old 08-13-2021, 11:03 AM   #15

On the China Bikes North America group on Facebook,

there was an epic,

10k mile journey done this past summer by a Chinese-American family from Texas.

The husband and wife were on one bike and the son was on another.

One of the bikes was a DR400 and the other one was a Hawk 250

(to be honest, I do not recall who was on what).

Not sure where else they posted their updates,

but they are the Choi family,

so you might be able to find their story via Google if you are not part of the China Bikes North America group.