Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2009, 08:53 AM   #1

Guess who's got a broken drive pin (again)?

I'v been away on my Kawasaki for the weekend, I'm moving the bikes back so I can use the Hongdou for work and what do I see? I think If I loosen the chain off all the way I can pull the sprocket out far enough to get at the pins. The original pins lasted 11200km, the after market Japanese pins that replaced them have lasted 10800km.

Jonathan.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:06 AM   #2

Sadly, we live in an age of "batch manufacturing", where a manufacturer (or who used to be a manufacturer), sub contracts their manufacturing out to the lowest bidder, or if they in actual fact, do manufacture, their employees do not give a shit, because they are due to be laid-off next week. The result is a whole lot of stuff that is out, and out, junk, lying in parts bins, just waiting for the next sucker (you and me) to purchase.

Not only the motorcycle industry is affected, it seems to be a general thing (attitude?), that seems to affect everything you purchase.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:42 AM   #3

So the Chinese pin lasted longer than the Japanese?!

Time to spark up the printer, this ones going on the fridge!

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 07-06-2009, 12:58 PM   #4

I remember as akid everyone hated Japanese goods they said they were garbage, Now they are the standard for quality 8O

Old 07-06-2009, 10:48 PM   #5

The problem is simple, your bike is producing way to much power. I would quit smoking that tire between gears from now on!

Old 07-07-2009, 04:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealWorld
The problem is simple, your bike is producing way to much power. I would quit smoking that tire between gears from now on!
Funny that you should say that, quite the reverse is true!!! Ever since it was new knowing that the pins were suspect I've been most restrained when pulling away. Being a skinflint I only changed the broken pin, you can fiddle it out through one of the larger holes in the sprocket, it only took 20 minutes start to finish.

Jonathan.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:37 AM   #7

My comment was for pure entertainment. I would expect those pins to never brake. Glad the rest is holding up for you.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealWorld
My comment was for pure entertainment. I would expect those pins to never brake. Glad the rest is holding up for you.
That's the way it was taken, all in good fun. Going back to the pins, I don't remember older Honda's ever breaking them.

Jonathan.