Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2020, 05:50 PM   #1

Rhino eats batteries

I don't know about anyone else but my Rhino really chews through batteries. Seems annually.

I did put a bunch of lights and a winch on it and I thought something was up there. I disconnected the winch, no difference. I disconnected all the accessory lighting, still won't hold a charge. First I figured it was the typical junk stock battery. I've tried a Walmart (Everstart) battery, an off-brand battery. Same result.....and yes, I'm following factory initial soak time and first charge instructions with the correct amp charger.

I don't ride it a lot and I thought maybe the cold was getting to it but my other rolling stock seems to be ok, most of the time. I guess I'll have check for amp draw.

Any "shoot from the hip" guesses?

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 02-08-2020, 06:26 PM   #2

Check the charging system. If it's charging at too high a voltage, that'll cook the battery. How long does it sit between uses, and is it kept on a tender?

Old 02-09-2020, 01:12 AM   #3

My Rhino battery is losing juice quick but my Bull battery stays strong. There is definitely something up with the system. I was going to swap batteries to see what unfolds. I also have extra lights and a winch but they don't stay on. I'll check charging voltage tomorrow.

Old 02-09-2020, 02:03 AM   #4

Still have the original battery in mine after 3 years. Charging voltage is pretty constant at 14.8. I have a volt meter installed so I can monitor.

Old 02-09-2020, 01:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
Check the charging system. If it's charging at too high a voltage, that'll cook the battery. How long does it sit between uses, and is it kept on a tender?
I checked it last year, it was running about 14.6, through the rpm range. I'll recheck it.

The current battery was on a good tender on and off, over time. I put it on my smart charger overnight last week. The next day, it fired right up on the charger. I disconnected it and the cranking amps vanished. Time for my annual battery but I need to figure this out.

I don't ride it most of the winter but it gets decent use dragging a cart around between March and October.

One more question: What's the largest battery anyone is running? The battery box appears it will hold a larger battery than the stock "9".

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 02-09-2020, 01:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTOH View Post
I was going to swap batteries to see what unfolds. I also have extra lights and a winch but they don't stay on. I'll check charging voltage tomorrow.
Looking forward to the results of your battery swap and info.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 02-09-2020, 05:05 PM   #7

Get one of those cheap battery tenders, they work wonders. I've used them for years on my motorcycles lawnmowers and on the quad.

Old 02-09-2020, 06:23 PM   #8

I had an issue with mine when I got it... turned out the winch was draining the battery... was waiting for the signal from the wireless remote.

Nowadays I have my battery installed in the trunk on the back rack.. stuffed inside a cheapo Harbor Freight ammo box with a quick disconnect plug. My battery is never in the weather and when I get home it comes inside.

Also using the Harbor Freight generator battery. Lasted two + seasons now.

Old 02-10-2020, 03:07 AM   #9

My apologies, I was doing damage assessment from a wind storm today and got home from camp after dark. My Rhino battery just came off charge this am. If true to its past behavior, I should have a hard time starting tomorrow in the cold and will have to use my jump pack to give it the proper amps for quick starting.

Old 02-10-2020, 10:09 AM   #10

Just a wild guess, but I'd check if you're getting AC voltage bleeding through the regulator. I'm not saying it's definitely happening, but it could be that the RR is faulty, and batteries don't like AC voltage.