Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #1

better brake options?

So... After 3 different master cylinders (due to failed seals) i finally got a decent master for the front brake, however, as best i could get it the brakes are still quite lacking in my opinion... Bike is a shineray gy200, as shown below. I currently have basically a sportbike master cylinder, and it has a mm larger bore than the stock... Also replaced the brake line with stainless braid... Lever is rock hard, so theres not air in the line or caliper...

I guess the question is are there better calipers we can use or no? I have a caliper from a honda cb400, but that would take a lot of work to get to a useable state on these forks...

Old 12-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #2

My Hi-bird had the same brakes as your bike and I thought it had the best brakes on any bike I'd ever ridden.

So, Kent, as the MC is functioning well, you've replaced the questionable heritage brake hose with SS braid, and there is no air in the system, the next place is going to be the caliper/rotor. It could be hanging up(possible), the pad material is contaminated or glazed(likely), or the calipers are too small for the job(doubtful).

If you haven't done so already, pull the caliper and go over the sliding pins with a fine tooth comb and make sure that there are absolutely no burrs, divots, scratches, or raccoons on the pins. Also, inspect the bores for the same thing. The pins should be a slip fit in the bores. If they are excessively tight i.e., need a hammer to drive them in, the pins should be polished until a slip fit is attained. Don't open the pin bore in the caliper, that will weaken it. If the pins are excessively loose, aka slop, either the pins or the caliper is shot. Bury them in the back yard. If you have a nice smooth slip fit, the problem may just be a lack of lubrication. I use Dupont Moly-Kote on every brake job and a VERY SMALL amount, at that. It's also very spendy, $60 for a 6oz container. Another reason for not getting sloppy with it. Teflon based Dri-Slide will work as well.

If all that is good, look at the pucks. I've always suspected that the Chinese make every fifth pair of brake pads from coconut shells but if yours don't smell like a Mounds bar, check for glazing. Also, at this point, check to see if the rotor surface is polished. If you can see yourself in it, it needs work. Emery cloth and wood alcohol/Brake-Kleen are your friends here. Rough up the rotor surface and puck surface with some 60 grit emery and clean them well with the Brake-Kleen. If the pucks have come into any contact with a petroleum product, aim them towards the trash and get a new pair. Also check to see that the rotor has not exceeded it's minimal service limit. I believe it's something like 5mm.

If you are in the neighborhood of 300lbs(you ain't, I've seen your picture) then the calipers are just too small for the load. I think the cb400 clamp is the same on my one as on my cx and would be more than adequate for your bike, but as you said, adapting it would be a pain.

Anything from the 200cc family of SuKawaYamaHo readily adaptable?

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 12-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #3

As for the pads, theres a darn good chance they are glazed, the rotor is questionably shiny, and i am actually 260#....LOL so i may very well be looking at fitting that cb400 caliper this winter just for the giggles of having a twin piston over a single, and a honda logo...not to mention easier to find parts....LOL
I also wonder if theres any aftermarket big brake calipers that could be fitted... However i would like to lace up an 18" rim for the front and get a pair of shinko 705s this spring for a supermoto look, but still retain the factory rear.... Maybe gettimg a rim/hub combo with a standardized hub would open up brake options for the rotor....LOL

Old 12-07-2013, 12:10 AM   #4

I bet an 18-inch, front wheel from the Zongshen 200GY-2 will fit your forks, BB. You could order the 18-inch wheel from Taobao, but the shipping costs are probably pretty high. You could also try ordering the 18-inch, front wheel from Zongshen America. I also have the 18-inch spokes from one of my Zongshen front wheels. I'm pretty confident you could use them to lace an 18-inch rim to your bike's front hub.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #5

Spud, youre ptobably right....LOL I have been thinking about a complete second wheelset though, so i can just bolt up the knobbies or sm tires... I habe a bad history of pinching tubes when changing tires...LOL i will keep the Zs front wheel idea in mind! Maybe i could score some wheels off ebay...

Old 12-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #6

i converted from 21" to an 18" on my klr shortly after buying it new in 07..

it has 50,000 miles and prolly 47,000 with the 18" front. it's a different kinda feel than the 21". but i like it... most don't. i don't know your reasons for switching but mine was to avoid bashing the rim on rocks off road. the klr is a heavy pig and with tires aired down i was constantly bashing rim. after switching to the 18 i can air down and never hit the rim! and the big 18 acts like a steering stabilizer as it has a much heavier feel.

this mod isn't for everyone and can be pricey to have one built, so be advised..

i sourced a 21" hub from e bay and had an 18" rear rim with correct spoke count laying around. the spoke angle in rim will likely be different and may need re drilling. then lace n true...

shes a big girl... but i can't seem to get enough. been a great bike..

Old 12-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #7

I like the 'reminder' on your fuel tank.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #8

That is one well used and well lover KiLleR!

I'm curious why you changed tanks when the original hols 6.1 gallons?

Save weight? Crash damage? Even more fuel?

GREAT pics, BTW.

I also get a kick out of the BMW decal ;-)

Old 12-08-2013, 12:44 AM   #9

Quote:
I like the 'reminder' on your fuel tank.
you have no idea how many times i ran outta gas with that big azz tank. my reserve for some reason doesn't work, so my reserve is leaning bike over on left side to get fuel from right side which typically gets me to next gas station. so one day... i ran it out and marked it. now i just keep an eye on it.

Quote:
I'm curious why you changed tanks when the original hols 6.1 gallons?

Save weight? Crash damage? Even more fuel?
yes, yes and yes! actually... i been riding dirt for a long time and have tweaked more than my share of radiators. so when i got the klr new and seen the cheesy shrouds that would bend if you were to throw a dirty look at em... i got in on a group buy on ims tanks on a klr site. the plastic tank protects the delicate radiator and fan very well. i have tested it out on multiple occasions with great success! there are aftermarket protectors available but just add more weight to an already heavy bike.

it does hold a lil more fuel and is lighter... also can see fuel level, which are all good things but originally got for the protection.

Quote:
I also get a kick out of the BMW decal ;-)
dunno if you can see it, but lettering in sticker reads KLR instead of BMW. most people don't catch that cept for klr or bmw owners! i get alot of people asking me what model bmw it is at gas stations.