Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2016, 10:45 AM   #16

There is also a 2K clearcoat in a spray bomb that you could try. You saved on the paint, so it might be worth it to spend a few bucks on clearcoat.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-12-2016, 12:03 PM   #17

I hit it with the clearcoat that I had...lol its an automotive grade spray so I figure its good enough... now just gotta find time to either get the bike in the shop or for it to warm up to fit it....

Old 02-13-2016, 10:39 AM   #18

Please note the brand of clearcoat. If it is successful at protecting the tank from gas spillage, it would be good info for us all.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-13-2016, 11:58 AM   #19

i am going to let it cure for at least a week before testing it out...LOL but i did buff and wax it today and am very happy with how it buffs.... its Plastikote T-45 enamel, i will say it goes on pretty crappy... orange peels like crazy... tried wetsanding and recoating and its no help...LOL so i dont like it because of that... i also sent plastikote an email asking about the fuel solvency of the formula... see what they have to say...

Old 02-13-2016, 03:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
There is also a 2K clearcoat in a spray bomb that you could try. You saved on the paint, so it might be worth it to spend a few bucks on clearcoat.

I have used this on my tank. I haven't spilled any fuel on it yet so I don't know if it will hold up. But everything I read on the net said it is the only fuel resistant clear coat. The regular rattle can paint and clear coat will instantly damage when exposed to fuel. I found this out by ruining my first tank spray job.

The 2k went on very easy and looks great. Applied several coats and you really do get that deep shine just like on a new car. The only draw back is its a one time use thing. Once you activate the can it is only good for a few days. I bought my can off Ebay for $25.00 I believe.

/

Old 02-14-2016, 11:57 AM   #21

What brand did you buy, Adjuster?

Old 02-14-2016, 11:58 AM   #22

Bogieboy, that's a good idea about sending an email. Perhaps they can point you to the best product in their line.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
What brand did you buy, Adjuster?
X2; inquiring minds want to know.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-14-2016, 01:28 PM   #24

I am pretty sure this is the same brand I used. Not the same Ebay ad but the same stuff.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USC-SprayMax...369386&vxp=mtr

Yep thats the same stuff, I still have the old can and I just double checked. Price has come down some. Very easy to use and you get professional looking results. Just as with anything like this, your results are 100% dependent on your prep work of the surface and then follow all the instructions on the can. Also lots of YouTube videos on this stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ax+3680061+2K+

/

Old 02-14-2016, 10:47 PM   #25

Thanks! I'm glad to see that they have a matt and a semi-gloss 2K clear as well. That'll work much better for some paint jobs I have in mind.

http://www.spraymax.com/index.php?id=361&L=1

Old 02-15-2016, 12:17 PM   #26

so updates...LOL going to be looking for a fuel resistant clear now... hate to spend the $22 a can avrage for the 2k spraybomb...LOL but tested it this morning, and its nowhere near fuel resistant...or brake cleaner resistant either... also, got a reply from plastikote:

Quote:
Mr.[bogieboy]:

Thank you for contacting Valspar. [not attached here] Attached is the Product Data Sheet for the T-45. This paint is not designed to have resistance to gasoline.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:24 PM   #27

Thanks for sharing the response.

Old 12-28-2016, 08:39 PM   #28

so... time to resurrect this thread again...LOL finally started cutting mounts off and beating the tank tunnel into submission.... kinda kicking myself for getting a california emissions tank... the standard doesn't have a second vent bung, whoch of course ends up RIGHT where it needed to be for the frame to clear... little hammer work and its better.... so far its all just mock up... need to figure out hard mounts and everything yet, as well as lining everything up properly...

but here's a teaser of a dr650 tank on a roketa db07a....hehehe

Old 12-28-2016, 09:32 PM   #29

Looks great! What's the capacity? More than the original.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 12-28-2016, 09:43 PM   #30

roughly 3.4 gallons up from 1.1.....LOL