Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2009, 07:24 PM   #1

I'm nuts ! Another Gio Coming

Hey forum..

I had a moment of weakness and bought another little Gio. This time the little 50 in Pink Camo for my other princess. This way there will be no fighting over the one we have up in the mountains next weekend.

Hopefully it comes quick, and I'll have it together and ready for riding. I plan to take some pics of them together with the YZ and will post them for all to see.

Haven't seen to many reviews on the 50cc Gio on here, so I'll let everyone know how it is.

-TT

Old 06-18-2009, 08:11 PM   #2

Right on, how was the purchase experience? Did you buy it straight up, or use their auction system? How's shipping to Surrey? That's the worst part, in my opinion, you are within driving distance, but they won't allow you to pick up locally... Do they ship to your door, or to the nearest dock, if so, that's kind of silly. There are some great deals to be had on gio's though... I wish they'd get a street legal bike.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:58 PM   #3

I would never buy straight up! I used the auction, think I did okay considering some of the bids have been over 200 on them.

It is shipped UPS to my door, the same as the 110cc Mini Beast I bought 1.5 months ago. I've yet to be really unhappy with Gio and I don't expect to be.

I will let everyone know how the assembly and start up goes when it arrives. Should be here tomorrow or Monday.

Yes, I wish I could pick it up, it would be a 20 minute drive, but oh well, can't complain for the price.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:40 PM   #4

Turbo T, I had a 50cc too ad it was amazing. I loved it but I had to see it to get a 110cc. It was a good machine and it required alot less assembling than the 110cc mini beast. The 50cc is solid and in my onion was better than the 110cc mini beast but in no terms did it look better than the mini beast. Why did you not buy the TAOTAO.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yozalo
Turbo T, I had a 50cc too ad it was amazing. I loved it but I had to see it to get a 110cc. It was a good machine and it required alot less assembling than the 110cc mini beast. The 50cc is solid and in my onion was better than the 110cc mini beast but in no terms did it look better than the mini beast. Why did you not buy the TAOTAO.
His onion was pink and picked in the town he lives in...
'08 Yongjiang 150cc atv (Jinlong)

Old 06-19-2009, 12:52 AM   #6

Quote:
I went with Gio as I'm familliar with him, he's in my town and I respect what he's done with his website which I think is fantastic. He has always been very communicative with me even last year when I spoke to him about buying the X35 Dirt Bike. Until he lets me down I will give him my business on this type of thing.

I am curious Yozalo, is the 50 cc smaller overall than the 110 Mini Beast? From the pictures and motor size it should be, but the dimensions don't look much different. I'm hoping it's smaller as my youngest is quite a bit smaller than my older daughter, and struggles to hold in the throttle and reach the brake lever.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:02 AM   #7

both the 50 cc & 110 cc physical size is about the same. I bought a 50cc for my 4 yrs daugther, her throttle thumb get tired/sore after 15 min of riding. I wish they have a twist-throttle like a motorcycle. The brakes levels are too far apart for her hands too. other than that she likes it.
[/quote]

Old 06-19-2009, 10:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by olryder
both the 50 cc & 110 cc physical size is about the same. I bought a 50cc for my 4 yrs daugther, her throttle thumb get tired/sore after 15 min of riding. I wish they have a twist-throttle like a motorcycle. The brakes levels are too far apart for her hands too. other than that she likes it.
[/quote]

We had the same issue with our daughter, and the solution was to install a throttle extender. You can pick them up at Crappy Tire or any motorcycle shop for around $20 to $30. They allow the rider more surface area for the thumb, and even allow operation with the heel of the palm.

A motorcycle throttle on a quad is tough to operate while steering. A twist grip on a motorcycle is easy because you rarely steer more than a few degrees; you lean more than you steer. Since there's little leaning on a quad, it's difficult to operate the throttle when your arm is fully extended (especially for little ones).

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-19-2009, 12:01 PM   #9

The 50cc were good but I sold mine to this guy. I would suggest buying some performance parts like a minkuni carb since they were awesome. Also I may purchase one performance exhaust.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:45 PM   #10

Quote:
A motorcycle throttle on a quad is tough to operate while steering. A twist grip on a motorcycle is easy because you rarely steer more than a few degrees; you lean more than you steer. Since there's little leaning on a quad, it's difficult to operate the throttle when your arm is fully extended (especially for little ones).
Now, I guess an extender would be the cheapest & easiest solution.
Thanks Weldangrind.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:22 PM   #11

I will look into the extender thing also...both my kids whine about their thumbs being sore from it. I did notice my five year old nephew was pushing his new 110cc with his palm which I thought was quite inventive for a little guy.

Yozalo, as for performance parts, I think my five and seven year olds are just fine stock for now. I don't let them have anywhere close to full throttle, probably closer to no throttle! I do admit it would be fun for dad to try the performance exhaust, but a bit of an expense that isn't needed.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior91
Quote:
His onion was pink and picked in the town he lives in...
Too funny

Old 06-19-2009, 05:00 PM   #13

The problem is that the stupid exhaust leak is pissing my off.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:06 PM   #14

I expect you would have the same problem with the performance exhaust. Have you tried moving the clamp to a different location? Like moving it right up to the end of the connecting pipe?

Old 06-19-2009, 05:13 PM   #15

I tried that, arn't you having the same problem as me.