Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2006, 07:22 PM   #1

Question About Getting Green Sticker in California

Hi Everyone,

Wasn't sure where to post this, so I just went with the most-viewed section.

Are there any Californians who have gotten green stickers for their Chinese bikes?

I'm considering buying one of these bikes for the dirt only, and was wondering what the State allows.

Thanks for any info.

Old 08-29-2006, 08:31 PM   #2

I'm not sure about the other bikes, but Jetmoto is "Green sticker approved" for California. It has met the CARB offroad requirements for California. I bought one and had to jump through hoops for the DMV before I finally got it street plated. It only took me 6 months and numerous trips to the local office. But if all you want is a green sticker, it shouldn't be a problem. I bought the Enduro version, but they offer a 200cc dirt bike also.

Old 08-30-2006, 12:57 AM   #3

Cool. Thanks, Motoman.

Old 08-30-2006, 07:44 AM   #4

Glad to help... This is the link to the Jetmoto web site if you want to take a look.

http://www.jetmotousa.com/index.php

The warehouse is in South San Francisco and if you call and talk to Eugene you can get a better price than what they have shown. I bought my GY for $1300 shipped to my work location.

Good luck and have fun shopping. There are alot of different brands of these Chinese bikes out there. I don't know if the Jetmoto is any better or any worse than the rest of them. What I do know is that I'm very happy with mine. The only problems I've had with mine were due to the rider and not the bike. :oops:

Old 08-30-2006, 08:16 AM   #5

Quote:
The only problems I've had with mine were due to the rider and not the bike.
Wow. Same thing happened to me!!

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 08-30-2006, 10:21 AM   #6

cadr, check out Jetmotogroup with a link from here to the group. I have a pretty good links section, and one of the links is to fresno motorsports, a Jetmoto dealer. On their site, they explain the green vs. red sticker info. www.fresnomotorsports.com should get you there. Jetmoto is green sticker approved, as well as Tank, Lifan, Zongshen, and most of the others. I think that California is somewhat easier to get approved than the EPA, as it seems that they base their criteria on the brand of engine used. As many brands use Lifan engines, and Lifan is already green sticker approved, then any other brand that uses an identical engine would have an easier time getting CARB approval for a green sticker, such as Jetmoto. I have had an up and down time with my Jetmoto, and am having a hard time deciding whether its me or the engine. An easy (hopefully, funding pending) will be ordering a brand new engine. But I don't think that Jetmoto is a bad brand (I named my group Jetmotogroup, after all!)

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 08-30-2006, 12:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoman
The warehouse is in South San Francisco and if you call and talk to Eugene you can get a better price than what they have shown. I bought my GY for $1300 shipped to my work location.
Thanks again. Great tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcune
On their site, they explain the green vs. red sticker info. www.fresnomotorsports.com should get you there.
Thanks for the info, calcune. I went to their site and saw the link for "DMV" info, but my browser wouldn't take me there (maybe cause I'm using Safari). I'll check it out again in the future, but it sounds like a green sticker wouldn't be a problem here in CA, which is nice to know.

Thanks, guys!

Old 08-30-2006, 12:48 PM   #8

I found two '05 Jetmotos for sale in San Diego, that were both street registered in Calif., on craiglist.org One is $600, as it had been crashed (cosmetic/lights), but still currently running and rideable. The other one was good condition and $1000 (only 150 miles or so).

As Motoman pointed out, one can street register a Chinese bike in Cal., but hoop jumping seems to be required. (I had a slight problem registering my Jetmoto in Arizona, but I think it had more to do with local Yuma, AZ MVD ignorance/arrogance as I registered the bike easily during a trip to Phoenix with no problems. I didn't even have the bike with me, just paperwork).

I think it has more to do with California politics and business than environmental issues. I would figure a 200cc bike riding thru traffic gridlock would be more beneficial to California than the proverbial parking lot, but god, er, CARB, has other ideas...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard