Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2007, 05:41 PM   #1

Connecticut

This is information is only as current as November of 2006 when I registered my last China Bike.

If you purchase a Dual Sport and want to register it for legal street use in Connecticut:

1. Be sure to get a clear, concise answer from whomever you may buying the bike from with regards to what the MSO will state under BODY TYPE, It Must say "Motorcycle" not "Dirtbike for offroad use only" or "Dual Purpose". Try to get it in writing or email correspondence.

2. You must have a bill of sale. An invoice from the company will suffice. The MSO must reflect the same company as the bill of sale. (and yes you must pay the sales tax on the shipping cost as well)

3. The DMV prefers liscensed dealers, it does not matter what state they are registered in and they will make a phone call (To who knows where, while you are standing in line) to verify they are a legitamate liscensed dealer.

I have 2 China bikes.. and I learned my lesson from my first purchase. The ebay dealer advertised: "street legal in 50 states", when the MSO arrived it said "Dirtbike offroad use only" Under body type. If you bring an MSO that states anything other than "Motorcycle" under body type. all DMV offices in the state will require you to get an inspection form stating the bike is suited for road use.

There is only one inspection station in the entire state (Wethersfield) You would have to prepay the inspection fee, try to make an appointment, (They do not do this regularly) and hope you get a liberal, non cantankerous inspector who is in a good mood. To get your bike certified as suitable for street operation. Then you proceed back to step two.

xxx-motorsports fulfilled all of my requirements quite professionally with regards to the mso and bill of sale and they are a registered dealer in the state of California, they passed the telephone call to who knows where.. I know we have a couple of other members who are dealers and liscensed as such in their respective states. I am not sure however if they sell outside of their states. Perhaps EJ, RPM and Xtreme can enlighten us Connecticut residents.

P.S. If the seller tells you to fill in the mso that comes packed with the motorcyle, find another dealer.

Good Luck and let me know where your at so we can go do some Trails!!!

NET