Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #1

Location: Wheeling, WV native currently living In Natchitoches, LA
Send a message via AIM to BrianW
Opinions needed, please.

I am on the verge of purchasing a Tomberlin MadAss scooter. It's the 49cc version and the guy is offering it to me for a great price.

Anybody know anything about these bikes? I really am having a hard time finding information on them. Although, it does appear that they are made in China... - I might be wrong though.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:34 PM   #2

the 4 strokes are very slow, maybe 30mph? I guess it depends on you uses for it.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #3

I think those are very cool little units for buzzing around town. I found this vid of a MadAss with a 70cc kit on it:

There's definitely a four speed in the video, which means that it doesn't qualify as a scooter (at least where I live), so you'd need a motorcycle licence for it. With that in mind, I wouldn't hesitate to drop in a complete 125 engine, rather than increase to 70cc with a big bore kit.

I'd promptly lose that catalytic converter too.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-10-2010, 01:22 PM   #4

Fairly neat, probably @ less than 50cc licensed as a moped (or "noped" to be specific), larger motor, up to 180cc a bolt-in, though reliability becomes questionable over 125cc.

I'd buy one if the price was right.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:27 PM   #5

Easily upgradable engine wise. Reveen is right about the 125cc being the largest displacement and still be reliable.

Does WV title them or do they count as scooters. With a 125cc 50mph should be easily possible.

Allen

Old 09-11-2010, 09:19 PM   #6

I drove the 4 hours to the man's house today to purchase this bike. He straight faced lied to me about the condition of it over the phone. This bike is in pretty rough shape with hardly anything still working other than the wheels. :( Some people can't take care of anything.

I have faith in this bike, however, and would like to put some money into it to get it into decent shape again. The fellow was asking $400 for it and I ended up getting it for $100. I would like to invest the saved money back into this bike and get it running and looking good.
I will post some (very sad looking) pictures of this bike in days to come. Thank you for all of your responses, gentlemen!

Old 09-12-2010, 02:29 AM   #7

That's an amazing price. You can resurrect any bike when you're in it for that little.

Awaiting pics.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-12-2010, 01:21 PM   #8

Sounds like a fair price for a project. You can now build it to your specs.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind

I'd promptly lose that catalytic converter too.
Where the heck is that thing? Maybe mine is already missing it but I can't seem to find it.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:08 PM   #10

If you look at that video link I posted above, you'll see it as a bulge in the exhaust pipe, just downstream of the cylinder head (in the short vertical section). There is a decent shot of it from 00:50 to 1:05.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:08 AM   #11

Oh, okay I see it now. I though it may have been the thing running up under the frame in this picture. Mine doesn't have it, I think it may be the air intake?

Old 09-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #12

Nope, a catalytic converter (usually) converts unburned hydrocarbons to carbon dioxide and water. It can also convert carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide, depending upon the design. If you don't see a bulge in the exhaust pipe, there's no cat.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:55 PM   #13

that thing looks awsome for scooter, i wouldnt mind having a scooter that looks like that..

Old 09-13-2010, 07:11 PM   #14

Okay, so where are the pics?

Old 09-13-2010, 10:25 PM   #15

http://s894.photobucket.com/albums/a...dra681/MadAss/

I had taken the seat off prior to the pictures. I am recovering it, which is turning out to be very difficult due to the seats unusual shape. I'll figure it out, though.

The oil that came out of the engine doesn't look too bad, surprisingly.

One of the pictures shows a busted headlight, which looks like it will be hard to find or rig a replacement.

The scariest part of this bike, to me, is that the ignition is missing and there is no key. I don't know anything about ignitions (or any electricals for that matter). Also, it's got a locking gas cap that will wiggle around since the key is missing.