Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2011, 12:53 AM   #1

Pastor Jim's New 250 Scoot

Pastor Jim asked a buddy (Chinariders member sucksqueezebangblow) and I to accompany him on a ride today, in preparation for his Class 6 motorcycle skills test tomorrow. He has the specific learner's permit, but he can only ride with Class 6 holders over the age of 25. Sucksqueezebangblow and I certainly qualify.

I borrowed another buddy's 600 Honda Silverwing, and SSBB rode his his 1000 Honda Firestorm (VTR1000F, aka Superhawk in the USA) and Jim was aboard his new 250 Saga scooter. The weather was a bit crisp, but it was above freezing and very clear with no clouds. A great day.

We tooled around the country roads a bit, then we put up some cones in a parking lot for Jim to practice. He did very well. We spent the rest of the afternoon just enjoying a good ride. SSBB was very gracious, and tried to resist the temptation to twist the throttle and disappear. His bike is an absolute rocketship.

Here's a very happy Jim, out for the first time:

Here's Jim and Weldangrind. I'm obviously saying something very important; perhaps it was "Where can I find a vest like that?"

My buddy's Silverwing defies the typical definition of a scooter. He installed a Hindle pipe on it, and it takes off and sounds like a 600 sport bike. It's really impressive. I could easily ride that machine for hours at a time on the highway.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #2

Wow! Looks like it was a fun day!

I like the 250 scoot!

Jim has my dork vest!

Old 11-07-2011, 12:18 PM   #3

Thanks for the ride report! I am VERY interested to hear more about the Honda Maxi-Scoot. I'd also like some pics of SSBB's giant V-Twin sportbike :wink: .

It looks like a lot of fun, and sunny and cool is still great riding weather if you have a windshield and the right (electric 8) ) clothing.

How's the Saga run?

Old 11-07-2011, 12:23 PM   #4

Nice Dork Vest BTW. :P I'm a believer. My All The Time riding apparal includes ear plugs, and if its anywhere near dark or foggy, my Dork Vest.

Also of course boots full face Snell/DOT helmet, and gloves and at least jeans. I have some Kevlar reinforced jeans I like.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:37 PM   #5

Thanks guys.

The Saga runs rather well, but there is definitely some power hiding in that muffler. Jim and I will take the time to go through it and perform the usual four stroke upgrades. I easily travelled at 70mph on the highway with it, but it takes a while to get there.

My buddy's Silverwing is a blast to ride, and there is cavernous space under the seat; enough room for two helmets. He hasn't ridden it much this year, and he's considering a dual sport instead. This may be Jim's next scooter.

I'm an ATGATT believer, but I've yet to aquire all that stuff. My gear for the last several years has been dirt only. Now that Son of Weldangrind and I are moving towards dual sports, our gear will change a bit.

Pastor Jim is coaching Son of Weldangrind through the written portion of the Class 6 exam. I'd do it, but we all know how such things go between father and son.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-14-2011, 11:50 AM   #6

Cool thread! I missed it earlier, sometimes my new post notifications disappear before I get a chance to check the threads out. Your pastors Saga looks like a nice scoot! Plus, I love his helmet! Is he taking his license on the 250? I think it would be an excellent choice vs a big heavy street bike to get the license on

Old 11-14-2011, 12:55 PM   #7

He totally scored with that helmet! It's an Ed Hardy design, and it's obviously intended to be very expensive. He found it in a discount bin at a local bike shop.

He tried his skills test on the scoot, but was unsuccessful. IMHO, he put too much pressure on himself, because he was trying to get the license before a deadline, and that never works. You need to be relaxed, calm and focused.

We'll try again when he gets back in a week.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:54 AM   #8

I just discovered this great thread; thanks for posting it, Brother Weld! Can you give us an update? Did Pastor Jim pass his license test? :?:

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #9

That almost feels like a Providential question, Spud. Jim just called me yesterday to ask if we can get some more road time together. He has an appointment to test for his MC endorsement soon, and he wants to practice the pylons. I'm hoping that the carb for our TS250 comes in soon, so that Son of Weldangrind can join us; he's hoping for his endorsement soon as well.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #10

That's wonderful! Please do keep us updated!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-02-2012, 01:45 AM   #11

Pastor Jim got his MC endorsement yesterday! He's on the graduated program, which means that he can't ride in the dark, and he can't take passengers. Otherwise, he's good to go.

We're hoping to get a few rides in together this week, since my TW is now ready to go.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:49 AM   #12

Please extend my warmest congratulations to Pastor Jim! Thanks for posting the update, Weld.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #13

Congratulations! Looking forward to pics!

Old 04-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #14

I just chatted with him on the phone. As a Pastor, he's busy almost every weeknight, so we're not sure when we'll be able to get out, but we'll be sure to post pics.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:04 AM   #15

Pastor Jim says thanks for the congratulations. He's going for his final mc endorsement on June 29, so he'd appreciate prayer for that. If he's unsuccessful, he'll have to start the process all over again.

He and I are planning a ride on Saturday afternoon.