Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2010, 09:09 AM   #1

01 yama Bear Tracker

Bought this for my wife this past saturday. I didn't get as good of deal as doc got on his kawi but it looks good next to my big bear cloned hensim. JimW
[img][/img]

Old 02-16-2010, 11:11 AM   #2

Boy it looks in GREAT condition. It appears to be the same sort of style as mine, but a significant benefit of yours appears to be it has front disc brakes. Mine are drums all around. They are fine, but the discs would be quite superior.

Semiauto tranny, I assume? 250?

Old 02-16-2010, 11:47 AM   #3

01 was the first year Yam put disc brakes on the bear tracker and it will stop it. Just a light squeeze is all it takes. I gave 1500.00 for it which is probably the border line value but it's been cared for so I decided to take it. Yes, it's semi auto.

What surprizes me is comparing it to my Hensim 400 which is Jianshe/Yamaha built there are several exact same parts and the quality is also very close if not the same. I read where one of the atv mags did a review on the Jianshe/Yam 400 and they said if you strip the plastic off they're identicle to the Yam Big Bear. I was scepticle untill I compared the two. Of course the 400 has a beefier frame, but many of the parts would interghange. The brake assemblies for instance are exactly alike and if the rear axle on the Bear Tracker was wider they'd swap.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:47 AM   #4

Forgot, yes it's 250

Old 02-16-2010, 12:05 PM   #5

Seems to me you got a good deal.

My Kawasaki's brakes are adequate, but I'd have gladly paid more for some tight hydraulic discs up front.

Being well maintained is the key to buying the right bike. Some people seem to treat their stuff like crap, and I don't get that at all. Everything I have is well taken care of and carefully used. Some people, even if they dodn't have money to burn, abuse their stuff to the point where it's not worth keeping, or buying.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:47 PM   #6

Thats so true. Like you, I've always maintained anything I've owned and carful with it, because for one thing I don't like pain and another is the cost of tearing it up. I don't understand why some people treat thier vehicles the way they do either. And the one thing I'll never understand is people giving 10grand for a atv to bury it in a mud hole? That one amazes me as much as anything does, I guess. The Chev pickup you see in the background of the pic is a 95 and looks almost as good as the day it was new because I take care of it.

We have a couple of taotao 250Ds. They've been trouble free but uncomfortable to ride for any length of time. I guess thats what prompted us to find something more comfortable.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:31 PM   #7

I see it is equipped with a chinese cargo box on the back.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:01 PM   #8

Good buy.

Looks like a nice unit.

I'm sure you'll appreciate the shocks over the Chinese made ones.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:00 PM   #9

Wouldn't be complete without the chinese cargo box

Yup, it rides much better and makes the wife smile. What makes her smile makes me smile.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:05 PM   #10

I think you did good. I am not finding many ATVs in that price range in very good condition around me.

Also please give us more info on your hensim in the ATV forum. We haven't heard much on the larger ATVs.

Allen

Old 02-16-2010, 04:25 PM   #11

My buddy continues to look on CL for a similar ATV to ours for his wife. Nothing but junk, or only units that are too big or too small. These small adult sized simple 2WD ATV's are a good find!

Old 02-16-2010, 07:02 PM   #12

True, they're hard to find in good condition. This one I had to drive 250mi for, but I picked it up the same day my son in law went to look at the hensim 250 enduro. There's another nice one in that area but shipping is the hard part for anybody very far away. It a 99 kawi 300 Lakota. I talked with the woman who owns it and understood she's had it since new and has had regular service on it. Its as nice as ours, doc. I think she wants 1500.00 also. Look on Oklahoma City craigslist if anyone is interested. It's several pages into it, but if anyone wants I can email a link and save some time looking for it. Also came across a odes 400 4X4 needing some work for 400.00 with very few hours on it. I would buy it myself but not sure where to get parts for it. It has the 359cc Honda foreman clone engine, but unlike my jianshe/yamaha, honda parts won't match on it like yamaha parts on mine will.

I'll give a good write up on the hensim for you guys first think in the morning.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:33 PM   #13

Just figured out how to paste a link. Learn something new every day. Here's a link to the kawi lakota

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/mcy/1590314029.html

Old 02-16-2010, 07:54 PM   #14

Looks like a good machine at a good price. Ron would need one closer to home though.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW
Wouldn't be complete without the chinese cargo box

Yup, it rides much better and makes the wife smile. What makes her smile makes me smile.
Happy ATVing wife, happy ATVing life.

Wow, $400 for a Chinese 400cc quad? I'd be all over that, even if it's just to swap the engine into my 200 Beast, a la Wild Alaskan.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer