Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2012, 11:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTimmy
I went to check out the DR200SE tonight. Your are right Spud, the engine does pull nicely and is very smooth.

The bike felt really cramped to me. The suspension felt soft, the bars seemed really close to the seating area like I kind of felt cramped. I could put both feet flat on the ground with almost bent knees, and I don't have long legs. The Q was a good bit taller than the Suzuki. I thought the looks of the DR were fine, and I also liked the sound of it. It seemed kind of abused and some of the things he said didn't make sense. So I passed on that bike. I guess I can keep it in my mind if the KLR does not come through and I can't find anything else.
Indeed, the DR200SE has a very low seat height. I must be shorter than you, since I never felt cramped while seated on the DR200SE.

I encourage you to trust your feelings regarding this bike, and its seller. Please keep us updated regarding your test ride/inspection of the KLR650.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-25-2012, 11:46 PM   #17

Thank you Spud. I will most Definitely keep you guys updated!

Old 01-26-2012, 09:43 PM   #18

Would 55,000 be too high to worry about with a KLR650?
Sounds high, but I do not know that much about their longevity. The guy is asking $1800, but said he would come down to $1700. It's a 2006. He said he is a buyer. He said got it from a trade in at a car dealership. He doesn't have the owners manual either. Here is a link if anyone wants to give me their opinion.
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcd/2806854727.html

I am going to look at a 2002 Sat morning that has 19,600 miles on it and says its in great shape. The only thing missing is the windshield that comes on them. I doubt that will be hard to find or too expensive. This guy was asking $1500 but I asked if he would take $1300....with a nice Givi (I believe) box for the back. It's in the country and I'm not so sure he really knows how nice of a bike KLR 650's are. May be a really good deal!

Old 01-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Would 55,000 be too high to worry about with a KLR650?
Sounds high, but I do not know that much about their longevity. The guy is asking $1800, but said he would come down to $1700. It's a 2006. He said he is a buyer. He said got it from a trade in at a car dealership. He doesn't have the owners manual either. Here is a link if anyone wants to give me their opinion.
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcd/2806854727.html

I am going to look at a 2002 Sat morning that has 19,600 miles on it and says its in great shape. The only thing missing is the windshield that comes on them. I doubt that will be hard to find or too expensive. This guy was asking $1500 but I asked if he would take $1300....with a nice Givi (I believe) box for the back. It's in the country and I'm not so sure he really knows how nice of a bike KLR 650's are. May be a really good deal!
I would pass on the bike with 55,000 miles on the odometer. The seller is asking too high a price, and a used bike with than many miles on the odometer is likely to have a lot of problems.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #20

Thanks Spud. I really appreciate you and everyone's input/opinions. I'll let you guys know after I look at the KLR 650 Saturday. Hopefully I'll be posting some photos of 'my' new bike!

Old 01-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #21

I agree with Spud, though KLR's have been known to last a long time I would pass on a bike with 55k on it... Unless it was dirt cheap! I would look for something under 20k, should be lots of 'em!

Old 01-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Thanks Spud. I really appreciate you and everyone's input/opinions. I'll let you guys know after I look at the KLR 650 Saturday. Hopefully I'll be posting some photos of 'my' new bike!
The 2002 bike with 19,600 miles on the odometer is worth inspecting. If the fairing in damaged, it will cost a lot to replace it. :( However, if only the windshield is missing, the repair cost will be less.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 01-27-2012, 05:40 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Quote:
The 2002 bike with 19,600 miles on the odometer is worth inspecting. If the fairing in damaged, it will cost a lot to replace it. :( However, if only the windshield is missing, the repair cost will be less.

Spud
He said it was just the windshield and I have priced those at $55. I guess I'll have to wait and see the bike to be sure on anything.

HOWEVER! there is a 2007 Kawasaki KLX 250S with 2300 miles on it and maintained at the dealer that I can get for $1850. Comes with a big storage box on the back. I would have to sell off a surfboard to get it though! Just not sure If I wanna do that, but it looks like a nice bike! I've always liked those!

Old 01-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #24

As a GIANT KLX250 fan I can say your problem is solved . The KLX and the Gold Wing are the only two permenant menbers of my collection and that means a lot in my garage.

My KLX, which is parked outside my exam room window as we speak will indeed do it all 8) .

Lightly modified with 50/50 tires it will run a GPS documented 91 MPH, cruise comfortably at the maximum speed limit anywhere in the country, carve canyons just fine thank you very much, get 60+ MPG, look great and make your coffee all at the same time :wink: .

Old 01-28-2012, 09:09 AM   #25

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Quote:

Spud
He said it was just the windshield and I have priced those at $55. I guess I'll have to wait and see the bike to be sure on anything.

HOWEVER! there is a 2007 Kawasaki KLX 250S with 2300 miles on it and maintained at the dealer that I can get for $1850. Comes with a big storage box on the back. I would have to sell off a surfboard to get it though! Just not sure If I wanna do that, but it looks like a nice bike! I've always liked those!
That is a great deal on the KLX, if you found the weight of the KLR daunting the KLX would be perfect as it's much lighter . Also, if you intend to do more trail riding the KLX is a better choice, again because of the lighter weight. I wouldn't mind adding one to the stable myself someday but I've got too much stuff already . Take your camera!

Old 01-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
As a GIANT KLX250 fan I can say your problem is solved . The KLX and the Gold Wing are the only two permenant menbers of my collection and that means a lot in my garage.

My KLX, which is parked outside my exam room window as we speak will indeed do it all 8) .

Lightly modified with 50/50 tires it will run a GPS documented 91 MPH, cruise comfortably at the maximum speed limit anywhere in the country, carve canyons just fine thank you very much, get 60+ MPG, look great and make your coffee all at the same time :wink: .
You really gave me some great information doc! Thank you...It greatly influenced my decision! Thanks for your help!

Well, I not only took my camera, I brought home the bike! AND it is a great day in my world! I'll post a photo when I get home later tonight! Thanks to everyone who helped and gave great information and knowledge!

~Timmy

Old 01-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #27

Quote:
Quote:

You really gave me some great information doc! Thank you...It greatly influenced my decision! Thanks for your help!

Well, I not only took my camera, I brought home the bike! AND it is a great day in my world! I'll post a photo when I get home later tonight! Thanks to everyone who helped and gave great information and knowledge!

~Timmy
Sweet! Grat's on the new wheels! 8) New bike day is always a great day, your gonna love the KLX!

Old 01-28-2012, 09:59 PM   #28

Wonderful news Timmy. Nothing like bringing home a new bike .

You won't regret this one, I think the KLX's are one of the best all around bikes on the planet, and in the 250cc class probably the best all around bike. You'll love it :P .

And the pictures are where? :wink:

Old 01-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #29

Quote:
Wonderful news Timmy. Nothing like bringing home a new bike .

You won't regret this one, I think the KLX's are one of the best all around bikes on the planet, and in the 250cc class probably the best all around bike. You'll love it :P .

And the pictures are where? :wink:
Thanks Doc, MICrider, Spud, and everyone! I am very excited to have this motorcycle! I really appreciate you guys giving me your opinions and experiences about the KLX!

Here is a photo:

The bike is like new. Some dust on the engine and places, just needs a good bath. It was stored in a garage, but was in the sun a lot during the day because he rode it to work, so the green is faded a bit from the sun. The white shined to perfection. This photo is from before I cleaned anything.Anyone have good experience with bringing sun faded plastics back to pre-sun glory? The bike looks great, I just want to shine the green plastics. I have always liked the Kawasaki green. I have already found a few good pages and forums devoted to this bike. I can't wait to get it titled and registered!

Old 01-29-2012, 10:32 PM   #30

That's a really nice score; thanks for the pics. Doc had good luck rejuvenating an old plastic tank, so perhaps he has some ideas.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer