Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-25-2020, 07:42 PM   #1

Project XL185/CG250 swap

Hello China Riders, My First post.

I found the site through Oddballsperformance channel on YT.

I'm an Aussie approaching 40. I don't know how to ride a motorbike, I am not a mechanic.

But I wanted to learn. However if I was going to own a bike, I wanted to do it the gentleman's way and save a bike from the scrap heap, while tackling some personal mental health and life issues at the same time.

I have some inspirations from youtube JenniesGarage really struck a chord with my approach to life...many other channels also providing a wealth of information and motivation..

Well I procured a legit 'Barnfind' 1992 XL185 that had seen some on the farm treatment after it was taken off the road.

It was mostly complete with free rust. But it had the compliance plate and I got paperwork for Australian registration requirements.

I bit the bullet after the bike was kicked and popped. Took it home, and then began the journey down the rabbit hole.

Project XLsior was born.

I dropped the oil from the honda 163fml to find glitter and scrags. the Jug had been puttyied on the timing chain side, suspect fail point. and the case around drive sprocket was damaged. Now I am not a rich man and the engine diagnosis to me seemed nonviable. Could it saved? probably...but for me was not cost effective.

My project seemed done and I was tempted to just call it quits and part the bike out.

But then I stumbled upon the world of Chonda swaps. And discovered the CG200 and Cg250 are based some what on my Honda 163FML engine.

So I randomly searched Gumtree aka ozzy craigslist, low and behold a CG250 OHV was available to my 15min away for $80...

Thus the fate of my bike and the journey was saved...I think.

I have done quite a lot and made some mistakes once.

But I would not of started without the inspiration of other before me so I'm paying it forward so to speak here and share what little I have learned that might help someone else.

I'm still down the novice rabbit hole, so don't expect a professional.

Cheers...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1598396653958.jpg (157 Bytes, 2459 views)
File Type: jpg 1598396647761.jpg (157 Bytes, 2700 views)
File Type: jpg 1598396622842.jpg (157 Bytes, 2482 views)