Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-28-2022, 02:53 PM   #1

Charlotte, my side hustle: CB350G

“Wanna discuss mods for your old Honda CB?”

I have a laugh when the read me listed this, as why this section exists. Well… yes… I guess I would…

My current other bike a CB350G - a stock, original, complete-when-I-bought-it 1973 CB350. I’ve been Jonesing for a Classic ‘70’s Honda since… the 70’s. Probably since ‘73.

I was cheated out of some things, in my childhood.

Swindled. Robbed.

Earlier this year I found this ‘73 about ~100+ miles / 200km from me. I’d already looked at a variety of late model Honda twins - I know I wanted a twin and not a four, for reasons of… simplicity. And I had realized I wanted a ‘73 as it was the year with the front disc brake - brakes seemed important.

No dreams of a cafe racer. No dreams of some amazing show quality bike. A bike to take out and ride every day. Something rideable. Reliable. I wasn’t worried about stock, original complete so much as things like… health of the bike.

This one… sounded like it might be it. Long trip to see it, no plans to actually buy it. Seller was my age. Sound story for how he bought it, why he had it for… a dozen years. He knew the history of the bike for the last 30ish years. I looked at it all - carbs matched, exhaust even matched, clean for rust except for… inside of tank, of course. Bike seemed healthy, complete, all there. We shook hands and made plans for me to come back with cash and a trailer.

As the bike has been owner maintained for… 30+ years, and is going to be owner maintained how the next (x) years, I took it to a local one-man Honda Guru to give it a deep look, for its sake and my own. Fuel tank failed; I’ll feel to find a solution for that (solutions welcome, I have a stock in one fire on this that I’m happy to discuss). Original seat has a tear - I have a local seat… artist willing to create something out of my seat pan, but I’m in line for whenever they are willing / have time.

But… bike is back home now. Time to tack the clipboard to the wall and start the list of things to check.