Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2021, 01:36 PM   #1

2017 Hawk 250 Starter/Reduction Gear Cover HELP!

Hello guys,

I'm putting the new reduction gear/left starter cover back on this Hawk and I cannot for the life of me, get it back on. I have another bike with the identical motor and it was very difficult getting it back on the other bike but I was able to do it. I just cannot get it done on this one. Does anyone have any tips or advice for getting this back on? It has a pinless reduction gear shaft and i have been trying with the original reduction gear as well as the new one I have. On the other bike it just finally pressed on. This one just won't budge... Gear teeth are aligned and everything. Gotta be some trick to this. Thanks!!!

Old 01-26-2021, 05:33 PM   #2

Well, if the shaft inserts all the way into the engine case and the gear sits flush against the thrust washer, then the only place left that could be causing a fitment issue is the cap itself. Does the shaft for the gear slide in fully? It should slide into both sides all the way, and with no resistance.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 01-26-2021, 07:06 PM   #3

Makes sure you put the thrust washer/shims on the inside of the pin, otherwise the pin won't seat. Seems obvious but these things can be overlooked.../facepalmed.

Old 01-26-2021, 07:55 PM   #4

It is easy to put the second reduction gear pair in backwards. The one inside the cover that drives the gear with the sprag clutch. It will look good, seem as if it is engaged, heck, it may be, but it won't let the 1st gear pair( the one that the starter motor armature engages) fit and keeps the push-in cap with 3 screws from fitting.
Take off the cover, look closely at the gears and see if it makes sense to flip end-for-end, and put the cover back on. Then try fitting the 1st pair of gears.
Worked for me, and it was not obvious that the gears were flipped.
tom

Old 02-18-2021, 08:00 PM   #5

Thank you to everyone that chimed in. It turns out, the gear that the reduction gear turns was backwards. I had to pull off the left side cover case, remove the gear which was simple and flip it, I put it all back together and now the starter works and everything is perfect. This was a bike I took in that had been passed from owner and no one knew how to fix it... Thanks to this forum, it is a 2017 Hawk with 1000/miles and ready to ride.

Cheers to you all...