Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2017, 01:16 PM   #121

Does anyone hear their valves sounding tappier after adjusting? I just did my recent one and had to finish up in a bit of a hurry and I swear it sounds more tappy than before. Is that normal or am I just paranoid? I actually think I set the closer to .06 than .08, but it fired up and seems to idle smoothly. And yes I'm quite confident my valve covers are on.

Or maybe my ears are just playing tricks on me, because I was pretty sure that the bike got quieter after my recent oil change.

Old 07-23-2017, 12:04 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC View Post
Does anyone hear their valves sounding tappier after adjusting? I just did my recent one and had to finish up in a bit of a hurry and I swear it sounds more tappy than before. Is that normal or am I just paranoid? I actually think I set the closer to .06 than .08, but it fired up and seems to idle smoothly. And yes I'm quite confident my valve covers are on.

Or maybe my ears are just playing tricks on me, because I was pretty sure that the bike got quieter after my recent oil change.
LOL! I know EXACTLY what you're talking about! I set Mrs. 2LZ RX3 and they sound "as expected" but on my RX3, I swear they make more noise, especially when cold. They sound basically normal when it's hot....but still rattlier than Mrs 2LZ. As we all are, I was totally anal in making sure the gaps on both RX3 were .08.

I think it's my paranoia after hearing some of the mishaps here with setting the valves too tight. I'm still thinking that I may recheck mine again....,out of paranoia. ;-)

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 07-23-2017, 03:47 PM   #123

Yes its a little quieter when warmed up, but still it has that thumper sound to it. I don't notice any reduction in power, so I guess its all good, although I have been rather gentile on the RPMs. Strangely though, I've had a bunch of stalls since the latest adjust. And my tail/brake light went out. Gonna check out the fuses tomorrow.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:54 PM   #124

I've got 13269.1 miles on the bike and it has been 4500 miles since the last time I checked and adjusted the valves. As I had previously stated, the intake valves haven't moved since around mile 1500 but this is the first time that my exhaust valves were still spot on. NICE! I guess they do finally settle in! I'll keep checking every 5000 miles now and see what happens.

Joe

Old 09-11-2017, 08:34 PM   #125

Joe, this is good news to me. I talked to another RX3 owner recently and he was talking about the intake valves receding into the head. It looks like this is something for each of us to monitor. A little record keeping is in order. I have been creeping up on longer valve check intervals so my next one will be interesting...about 2500 miles. The bike runs so well that I hate to tempt fate.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:59 AM   #126

Location: 484 miles east from the geographical center of the United States
Hit the 500 mile mark

I just hit the 500 mile mark finally. I just got clearance from my Doc to ride and was able to put some miles on it.

I am going to perform the valve adjustment. Looks like fun. I'll keep you guys posted as i have never done this before.

Life Member VFW / Life Member NRA / WWG1-WGA

Old 09-14-2017, 04:43 PM   #127

Take it easy the first time, remove the plastics and you can tilt up the tank rather than removing it. I suggest cleaning the bike before so no dirt drops into the open covers. Also before removing the spark plug make sure to use compressed air or something to make sure no small rocks are in that whole the plug goes in....they could fall into the cylinder when you pull the plug. Make sure to follow the tutorial on aligning the timing marks. Don't overtighten the valve covers when you put them back on. Use locktite when you put the plastics back on. Use anti-sieze on the port hole covers and don't overtighten them. Undoing the two bolts on the right side radiator will allow you to push them forward to make room to get your hands in for the exhaust valves. Random thoughts done!!!

Old 09-15-2017, 11:41 AM   #128

I recently purchased my 2nd RX3 and the PO had said he adjusted the valves on the tight side of the spec.
Bike takes 2 or 3 stabs at the starter and then will die off the idle until warmed up and then it seems to run ok.

I'm going to check them even though the bike has just 1200 miles and it sounds
To me as if he set them up on the too loose side possibly.

Old 09-15-2017, 05:07 PM   #129

I'm thinking he set them up to tight because of the hard starting and dying issue . Do you hear the "tappy valves are happy valves "noise? tick , tick ,tick. rj

Old 09-15-2017, 10:53 PM   #130

^^^ So if valve clearances increase when motor gets hot I'm thinking PO adjusted them too tight.

Which makes sense that it runs better after warmed up. Thanks for your help.

I need to get some happy slappy valves.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:50 AM   #131

It's a fact:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1vz3pi.jpg (51.6 KB, 261 views)

Old 09-16-2017, 09:21 PM   #132

So it turns out that my cold starting and cold idle issues were the result of too

Slappy happy....checked the valves today and they were all in the .005" range

So I closed them up to .003" and my bike is all happy now....must be careful to not go too

Slappy happy.

On adjustment notes have the go-no go gage technique working with the .003" and .004"

Is the way to go.

Also the only way to easily check the exhaust for me is to take the right radiator completely out of the way....so much easier....

Old 09-16-2017, 09:43 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inroads View Post

Also the only way to easily check the exhaust for me is to take the right radiator completely out of the way....so much easier....
That's strange. For some unknown reason, I move the left radiator to check the exhaust valves.....

jb

Old 09-20-2017, 03:49 PM   #134

Location: 484 miles east from the geographical center of the United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Color of the day View Post
I just hit the 500 mile mark finally. I just got clearance from my Doc to ride and was able to put some miles on it.

I am going to perform the valve adjustment. Looks like fun. I'll keep you guys posted as i have never done this before.
Here is what I have done so far. It was pretty easy. I have to pick up some locktite, antiseize, and a 10mm allen wrench before I open any of the covers that allow things inside the motor. Of all the things I don't have a freakin allen wrench. There is not much room to work.

Kudos to Mr. fjmartin for the 2x4 idea. That is pretty slick..
Name:  bike.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  42.8 KB

Life Member VFW / Life Member NRA / WWG1-WGA

Old 09-21-2017, 12:34 PM   #135

Glad that worked for ya!