Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2024, 12:18 AM   #1

Marshin/Lifan 200cc ATV No Spark

I've been trying to diagnose this old Marshin ATV for a while now for one of my customers (I primarily work on cars, but I mess with small engines too) and I cannot figure out why it's not getting power from the stator. It's a Lifan 163FML motor.
I had to redo the wiring on it since the original harness was all melted. I replaced the harness with a kit from Amazon, and now it cranks (had no power before) but it doesn't start. There is no spark. I traced that back to the stator, which is not producing more than a couple volts. I did all the usual tests, and I am now on the third stator, so I know the stator itself isn't the problem here (then again, parts quality is lackluster nowadays). Everything appears to be wired correctly based on various diagrams I've found online.
If I remember correctly, I was seeing maybe 5v AC from the stator on the power wires. There is also no spark signal at the pickup, therefore the CDI is getting absolutely nothing. Everything is grounded well, so it seems to be an issue with the magneto/flywheel from what I can tell.

Is there something I'm missing here? It's been a LONG time since I've messed with ATV/powersports motors, and back when I had more of them, I wasn't as mechanically inclined (I was maybe 14 at the time lol). My small engine experience is mostly with lawnmowers and outdoor power equipment, so I'm hoping there's someone with more experience who can point me in the right direction.

I'll attach a few photos of what I'm working with. The first pic is the connection between the stator and harness. I know it's messy, but it gets the job done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6560.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	823.2 KB
ID:	30947   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6563.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	963.6 KB
ID:	30948   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6566.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	973.1 KB
ID:	30949  

Old 03-10-2024, 08:36 AM   #2

Try disconnecting the pink and yellow wires coming from the stator, and make sure the black/yellow tracer wire is going to the ignition coil, and that the coil is well grounded. The red/black wire is coming from the source coil on the stator and the blue/white wire is coming from the pulse trigger, that's all you should need to get the ignition coil to spark. If it still doesn't, I would remove the spark plug boot and test for spark at the end of the plug wire after cutting it back 1/4" to get to new wire.

Also try unplugging the kill switch to remove that from the equation, a bad one may prevent it from making spark

Old 03-10-2024, 10:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbkr188 View Post
Try disconnecting the pink and yellow wires coming from the stator, and make sure the black/yellow tracer wire is going to the ignition coil, and that the coil is well grounded. The red/black wire is coming from the source coil on the stator and the blue/white wire is coming from the pulse trigger, that's all you should need to get the ignition coil to spark. If it still doesn't, I would remove the spark plug boot and test for spark at the end of the plug wire after cutting it back 1/4" to get to new wire.

Also try unplugging the kill switch to remove that from the equation, a bad one may prevent it from making spark
I'll go through these things hopefully later today. Thanks!
I'm pretty certain that the coil has proper ground, everything seemed to be good on the coil side of things. I think it's all on the input side. I also checked the kill switch signal to the CDI, and that is working properly.

Old 03-19-2024, 09:21 PM   #4

Finally had a chance to mess with this thing a little more! I checked power at the following terminals... these values are all while cranking

Rectifier pink wire- 3-4V AC
Rectifier yellow wire- 3-4V AC

CDI blue/white wire- .12V AC (also checked on DC volts, same reading)
CDI black/red wire- 3-4V AC, but this wire showed 13-18V DC

CDI black/white wire for the kill switch is working properly, grounded when engaged, open when disengaged.

I don't feel that any of that is quite right, but I could be wrong. Maybe I have the wrong CDI?

Old 04-03-2024, 11:21 AM   #5

Anybody? Are these values really low or am I wrong? If that's the case, it might have a DOA CDI.