Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2019, 11:51 PM   #1

Getting on and off an RX3

I currently have a 2001 Yamaha XT225, with over 30,000 hard miles on it. It had 1800 miles on it when I bought it used in 2008. I am partially disabled, and am having a hard time getting on and off the bike. It's getting almost impossible to get my leg over the seat. I literally have to grab my pants leg and use my arm to lift my leg over the seat. I don't do any serious off road riding anymore, but I would like to be able to ride on fairly smooth dirt roads. I also like the idea of having panniers to carry stuff. But since there are no dealers for this bike, I don't know how difficult it would be to get on and off of. The seat looks a LOT more comfortable than the 2x4 on the XT. Anybody have any opinions on this? I live in AZ, I guess I could drive to CSC in CA and sit on one. I would hate to order one and find out I couldn't get on it. Thanks for any input. Jerry

Old 06-20-2019, 10:17 AM   #2

Of course, when I was younger and as limber as a gymnast, I could mount a bike with ease. Now that I'm old, fat and stiff, I find I need to cheat. I step on the left foot peg while it's on the side stand and it makes it far easier to swing the leg over the seat.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 06-20-2019, 01:00 PM   #3

What part of AZ? I'm in Peoria at the very end of 67th Ave. You could try mine if we can get together.

You really can't swing a let over this bike with the tail box on it. I end up picking up my foot and stretching it out over the driver's seat. I use my hand to help it along.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:12 PM   #4

I feel you guys. At 62yo and stiff in all the wrong places I have to do like Calvarez ---a Gestapo goose stepping kick to get my foot and leg as high as I can and hopefully clear the seat and get my leg over. Sometimes takes a few tries. Sometimes my foot gets stuck on the seat. Points added for not continuing over the other side and totally missing the bike. Sometimes it pulls my ham string.
I'm 5'6" and 28" inseam and have lowered my RX3 with lowering links and lowered the triple clamps on the forks.
I have no problem riding taller bikes , just getting on and off them as I'm not as limber as I was 10 years ago.
Some people have success with 2LZ method but you need to keep an eye on your kick stand mount as I've seen on 2 other bikes (not RX3) break the weld that connects the mount to the frame. Then the bike starts leaning farther and farther over like Lee Marvin's drunk horse in "Cat Ballou" movie, ya know what I mean?
What's a short fella to do? rj

Old 06-20-2019, 02:43 PM   #5

I'm 60 with severe arthritis, bad knee and hip joints. I live in Chandler, AZ. I may just have to accept the fact that I can no longer ride such bikes. The XT has a very low seat for a dual sport. I have a Harley Sportster 1200, a Kawasaki Vulcan 750, a Vespa GT200, and a vintage 1979 Vespa P200E that I can still ride. But there are tens of thousands of miles of dirt roads here in AZ that I still want to ride on. I weigh 240, so I would likely break the sidestand off if I tried to use it to hold up my weight. I'm 6' with a 34" inseam, and used to be able to hop on tall bikes with ease. Age and to many years in the A/C business kind of put an end to that. Thanks for your responses. They are very much appreciated.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:35 PM   #6

My inseam is 31, so you have an advantage there. It might not be totally out for you.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkyardDog View Post
I'm 60 with severe arthritis, bad knee and hip joints. I live in Chandler, AZ. I may just have to accept the fact that I can no longer ride such bikes. The XT has a very low seat for a dual sport. I have a Harley Sportster 1200, a Kawasaki Vulcan 750, a Vespa GT200, and a vintage 1979 Vespa P200E that I can still ride. But there are tens of thousands of miles of dirt roads here in AZ that I still want to ride on. I weigh 240, so I would likely break the sidestand off if I tried to use it to hold up my weight. I'm 6' with a 34" inseam, and used to be able to hop on tall bikes with ease. Age and to many years in the A/C business kind of put an end to that. Thanks for your responses. They are very much appreciated.
Ride the P200e on the dirt roads! Just throw some knobbies on her. tup:

I’ve got a 2T Stella that I ride on some of the forest roads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DEA6C05D-6693-4B81-9678-29D785FC906B.jpg (18.4 KB, 520 views)
File Type: jpg AF50DBBC-5043-44BC-AE7C-97FC5B306951.jpg (12.2 KB, 496 views)

Old 06-21-2019, 12:41 AM   #8

Jerry, here's my two cents' worth, also from Arizona. I step on the footpeg to get on the DR, but that's a really tall bike. I have a 32" inseam and stand at about 5' 10" and can't even come close to flat-footing that bike. Even my Hawk has me with my heels just slightly off the ground. The V-Star is easy with a low seat height, but I don't think it would do very well on anything not paved. As for the Ural, that one is really easy to get on and off, and with the sidecar there's never an issue having to put my feet down. It really loves eating up the dirt roads and desert sand, too. I would say either a) take a trip to CSC as you mentioned, they're a great group of folks out there, or b) find something that you're comfortable with at one of the local shops. Both RideNow and GoAZ are good reputable shops, and I do business with them both. Give me a shout if you want to come down and look over the stable some time and see if anything catches your fancy.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 06-21-2019, 10:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkyardDog View Post
My twin.
I'm 60, 34" inseam, shot body, and currently weigh in at 250, thanks to steroids. If you change your mind, the side stand will handle you, trust me.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 06-21-2019, 11:50 AM   #10

Use The Foot Pegs

I'm 15-20 years younger than you lot of "geezers", with a 29" inseam and I have never thrown my leg over a bike. I always use the foot pegs, even on my Gold Wing. I don't see the point in the gymnastics necessary, especially with anything over 30" in seat height. Throw in a top box and side cases, and it becomes damn near impossible to get your legs over all of that. I have no problems mounting and dismounting the bike from either side using the foot pegs. If you are really worried about the side stand mount breaking, use the right side foot peg to get on and off the the bike. That will keep the weight off of the side stand and help lever the bike up off said stand at the same time when you are getting on it. Having said that, the RX3 side stand mount is pretty beefy, unlike the BMW G 310 GS, which is under recall for that particular issue. With gear, I'm in the 200-210 lb department and have not had any problems with my RX3's side stand bearing the weight.

Using the foot pegs will probably take a little practice on your part, since you are not used too doing it, but it is a worthwhile investment of time on your part if it keeps you on the bike that takes you where you want to ride, be it a XT225 or a RX3.

Old 06-21-2019, 03:00 PM   #11

I would avoid RideNow if at all possible. Bunch of lying weasels, who have been scamming Arizona riders, especially young guys who don't know better, for a couple decades. Simply awful people who would rip off their own mother. They changed their name a few years ago to try to get rid of some of the bad rep.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:48 PM   #12

I'm 60, 5' 9" with a 30" inseam and degenerative disc disease. When the bike is on the side stand I will place my left foot just ahead of the footpeg, grab the handlebars, go up on the ball of my left foot, and lean forward and over the bars while I throw my leg over. Leaning forward eliminates snagging the side or top cases with my foot. Getting on is much easier if you have the center stand. Just step on the peg and swing your leg over.

At my age I don't like hearing the "E" word (exercise) any more than anyone else but there are some exercises that do help with hip and joint flexibility and increase range of motion. Doing hip flexors (lying on your stomach and raising your leg) will help with getting your leg up high enough to swing over the seat. Stretching the hamstring muscles also helps.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:07 PM   #13

63, 5'11", 30 inseam, 225 pounds.

With side stand:
Approach from left, facing back of seat (45* angle off side of bike};
Hold left handgrip to steady bike with left hand;
Place ball of left foot on peg;
Stand on left foot (use momentum of approaching bike to rise up);
Lift right knee along side of seat;
Place right hand to right of right knee, palm under knee on top of shin bone right below knee: PULL UP;
Pull right knee to chest and gently extend, not swing, right foot over seat;
Rotate left foot to normal position while placing right foot on right peg, butt on seat, and right hand on right grip, while straightening the handlebars to central position.

Sounds complicated, but very easy IF YOU START FACING BACK OF SEAT and use the momentum of the twist to line everything up all at once.. Lifting right knee/leg is easy with the hand and arm helping.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:20 PM   #14

New Honda CC110 Cross Cub.... Re-make of the CT110..

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 06-22-2019, 03:11 AM   #15

I actually seriously considered an old Honda CT90 or CT110. I am not a hardcore off road rider, at least not anymore. For those in the Phoenix area, I do most of my off road riding either down around the Florence area in the winter, and up around Forest lakes, between Payson and Heber/Overgaard in the summer. But those bikes are so cramped it makes them extremely uncomfortable. I haven't given up on the RX-3 yet. It has plenty of room to carry stuff, and an optional centerstand for fixing flat tires. And I just love the look.