Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2022, 06:12 PM   #1

Nearly road legal with my TBR7, fuel gauge question/issue.

So I got a TBR7D couple of weeks ago, finally got the paperwork on Halloween of all days, and as of today, it's insured, plated, registered and titled in the great state of West Virginia. Only thing left is to take it in for an inspection and so far almost everything seems to be working great. Swapped out the carb for a better jetted mikuni knockoff, adusted clutch and lever positions, went from the 15tooth front sprocket to a 17tooth, fresh oil change and aside from the valve lash adjustment I'll be doing once I get the feeler gauges I ordered in everything seems to be doing great, had it up and down the street a bit and doing fine. Everything but the fuel gauge indicator possibly.

Haven't fully filled it up yet but had like a quarter or so of gas in a 1gallon gas can I dumped in, then rode my bicycle down to the nearest gas station to refill it and dumped that in. Yet turning the bike on, starting it up and letting it idle, and riding it a bit the fuel gauge never once moved from dead bottom.

The manual says its a 12.5l, so something over 3 gallon tank if my math hasn't failed me, so I would think 1 and a quarter gallons would be enough to move the gauge indicator? Is this an issue or do these things just not give much of an indication unless it's near full? Looked around under the bike around and above the motor and every cable/cable bundle I found was securely connected, and the rest of the cluster, speed/odometer work fine, neutral and gear indicator lights all work.

Old 11-03-2022, 12:22 AM   #2

no its working,only reads a full tank. 40 miles its on empty,i just use the trip meter and every 200 miles then fill up.

Old 11-03-2022, 08:45 AM   #3

My TBR7D also reads full after a fill up, but by the time it's probably used 1/4 tank it's already down around empty. Try to use your trip odometer instead. Were in WV are you from? I live in Evans, which is just West of Ripley.

Old 11-03-2022, 10:27 AM   #4

Hi all 2020 tbr 7. My fuel gauge was just like all others here, I put dielectric grease on the connection and put a small zip tie to hold it tight to each other. Seems to be more accurate!
Time will tell.
Safe riding
Christopher

Old 11-03-2022, 11:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
My TBR7D also reads full after a fill up, but by the time it's probably used 1/4 tank it's already down around empty. Try to use your trip odometer instead. Were in WV are you from? I live in Evans, which is just West of Ripley.

Cool to see other West Virginians here. From the Charleston area, been moving all around the surrounding cities in my years, planted firmly in Charleston for now lol.

As for the topic, figures it'd be the case, luckily I pass 2 gas stations on the road to get to my street so I'll just make a habit to stop in and top it off every couple of rides.

Old 11-03-2022, 12:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixX2 View Post
Cool to see other West Virginians here. From the Charleston area, been moving all around the surrounding cities in my years, planted firmly in Charleston for now lol.

As for the topic, figures it'd be the case, luckily I pass 2 gas stations on the road to get to my street so I'll just make a habit to stop in and top it off every couple of rides.
A lot of my Mother's side of the family live in the Charleston area. My Mother was raised in Marmet, and went to East Bank, She was in school with Jerry West. My Father lived on Chandler Drive in Charleston for a while back in the late 40s, and early 50s when he was a kid. He used to caddy at Edgewood golf course when he could barely carry a bag.

Old 11-03-2022, 02:49 PM   #7

mine stopped working after about 1500 miles, I just use the trip meter and reserve valve
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam
Nibbi PE30 and cone filter

Front fork brace

Old 11-03-2022, 07:07 PM   #8

So anyone got any recommendations for good replacement mirrors? Took it out up and down the hill and around the neighborhood a few times today, trying to get the hang of the clutch (first motorcycle) and still stalling every few takeoffs but getting there.

Unfortunately today's riding exposed a total failure, the mirrors. I topped at around 20mph, and every-time I went to takeoff, I readjusted them, every-time I went to look at one it was in a completely different position, at the joint (stem obviously didn't move at all being screwed into the levers). Idk if the joint is just too loose or can't handle the vibrations or what but that's totally not usable.

Old 11-03-2022, 07:55 PM   #9

Take a good fitting screwdriver, and tighten the screw on the back of the mirror. Mine stay in place just fine.

Old 11-04-2022, 03:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
Take a good fitting screwdriver, and tighten the screw on the back of the mirror. Mine stay in place just fine.
Thanks, I looked around for some way to adjust them but those screws didn't even register lol.

Old 11-10-2022, 09:32 AM   #11

Check the quick connect under the tank, which can become a quick-DISconnect too.

Did you pull the tank(valve job, ignition coil work, etc.) without disconnecting? Could have broken a wire.

hth,

Testing a YouTube Channel

Old 11-10-2022, 03:08 PM   #12

What Cheapthrills said...
If the fuel gauge never worked, maybe it was never connected

Just lift the tank and check the connection.

Old 11-12-2022, 09:17 AM   #13

When I got mine I did check the connection during pre start maintenance.
Connector seemed good, but after I put in a gallon or so nothing.

I was a bit stumped, but after filling up it would show full.
When my gauge gets to E it still has over half tank,
then I fill after it gets to basically showing well below E.

I know I still have some fuel left when I see a small rise after turning key on.

Just make sure you run with the shut off in RUN so you can still use RES if/when necessary.

I had a new float/sender picked out ready to order, but decided against.
If/when I am bored (or have to check something else) I will remove tank and then
the float and bend the puppy to register more accurate.

Old 11-13-2022, 08:46 AM   #14

So there is a problem with my TBR7, the gas level always reads low. I heard an easy fix is to disassemble the tank and re-bend the arm.

I am wondering, have you ever filled up the tank all the way and then checked the level. Your's might be reading abnormally low.

FYI, I had to lose my fuel level sensor in my Boom Vader due to a fuel tank leak ( https://mymotorcycleblog.com/boom-va...epaired-again/ ) so been living with just using an odometer to monitor tank level. Bad thing is Boom Vader's don't have a reserve setting on the stopcock.

Point is, even if you never get the level to work correctly, you can still have lots of fun with the bike.

Good luck,

Testing a YouTube Channel

Old 11-13-2022, 06:37 PM   #15

On a carbureted bike a fuel gauge is just something else to break. Learn proper use of the petcock, and ride...