Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2022, 12:05 PM   #1

2007 Tomoto/Jialing restoration

Hi guys! Just an update:

In 2017 I purchased a titled non-running 200cc motorcycle. The tag on the swing arm says Tomoto and the first 2 digits on the engine say JL (163FML). I believe the title referenced HiSun or something like that. Unfortunately the engine was extremely destroyed.

I then purchased another 200cc parts bike that supposedly has a running engine. The first 2 digits on that engine are LC.

Last month I started working on restoring the titled motorcycle using parts from both. My wife wanted the large gas tank from the parts bike which is longer and I've had to do a fair amount of re-fabricating. It will also require some serious work on the seat pan. Also, the plastics for the gas tank need some attention.

I've got the tank sorted out and am currently working on the seat pan.

I hope to get some pictures and video soon as there will be quite a bit of custom fabrication to follow. I have most of the skills needed to varying degrees but will likely need some input from you folks here on China Riders.

I'm still sourcing a few replacement/upgraded items such as head light, turn signals etc. as many of these items look weather worn.

If the LC163fml is worn out I plan on upgrading to a 250cc. Either way this bike is getting restored!

Hope to start posting some progress photos/video soon.

Old 01-28-2022, 05:24 PM   #2

Short video clip of rebuild

Here is a short video clip of the start of the rebuild. Sorry for the shakiness. I am not sure if my phone has image stabilization.

Last edited by TommyD; 01-29-2022 at 03:37 AM.

Old 01-29-2022, 12:05 PM   #3

AWESOME PROJECT!!! I love how you're reshaping the seat pan. What a great idea!

The OHC CB motors are great. More top end power than the CG (OHV) motor. I hope it fires for you. They are also really reliable. The CB also bolts right into an early XR200 frame. Our very own Fastdoc did just that, many moons ago.
The countershaft sprockets on these motors has a normal wiggle like that. None to worry.
The rear probably just needs some cleaning and torquing, although my old XMoto GY200 had the same wiggle. I just road it.
I'll be keeping up with this thread!.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 02-12-2022, 09:38 PM   #4

The Loncin Engine Fired!

Today I mounted the LC163FML in the Jialing. I'm having some issues with the wiring as the colors don't match anything found on any wiring diagrams. With 3 of the 5 (from 6 pin connector) hooked up I hooked up a jump pack and tested for spark. Surprisingly I got spark. Then I sprayed carburetor cleaner in the intake, pushed the start button and she fired up.

Then I had my wife push the start button (it started quickly) and I gently sprayed more carburetor cleaner in the intake and the engine ran for a few seconds and sounded pretty good for not actually having the carburetor installed

Tomorrow I'll clean out 1 of the 2 identical carburetors I have and see if I can take it a step further.

I just want to make sure this engine is okay before I tackle the rest of the bike rebuild.

Old 02-21-2022, 10:30 PM   #5

Loncin/Jialing/Tomoto or whatver it is...continued....

This weekend I determined the two remaining wires from the engine harness were the charging wires. I neatly, but temporarily hooked them up.

Then I cleaned out the carburetor. The previous owner had some kind of sealer all over the float bowl gasket which gave me concern so I carefully cleaned up that mess along with soaking and cleaning out the jets.

After installing the carburetor I hung a fuel I.V. and hooked up the jump pack. At first it wouldn't start. I checked for spark and determined there was no spark, then I realized I had the kill switch on. Then I tried again and she started but ran rough. I made a few adjustments to the carburetor and finally got her to idle, albeit a little rough.

I figured it might be a little bit due to having no exhaust installed so I installed the old exhaust system only to have one of the flange studs strip out.

I gave it another start anyway and it fired right up. It sounded a little better and much quieter, even with the exhaust leak.

I'll have to tap and install a slightly larger exhaust flange stud - I'm thinking 10mm??

My goal this weekend was to take the engine a step further to determine if the engine was good. I believe the engine is probably okay. I've already purchased a new clutch and brake lever, battery, rear tail light and license plate assembly, front and rear master cylinders and a few other things.

BTW, I counted the number of teeth on the sprockets. Looks like I have a 17/54 combo. That seems odd to me considering most modern Chinese dual sports come a with 40 something rear sprocket. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Pretty soon I'll be stripping the bike down to paint the frame and begin servicing all the neglected areas.

So far I'm into this bike about $430.

Old 11-15-2022, 12:25 PM   #6

Multi-Year Project Update

Last fall I had purchased 3 or 4 clutch cables on Amazon and none of the dimensions they listed were correct. So I left the project in frustration and the Jialing has sat untouched for about 6 months.

For our 35th wedding anniversary I bought my wife a 2022 Royal Enfield Classic 350, Bronze and Chrome edition, from a local dealer. Out the door including tax, title and license it came to $5800. We got a great deal!

So the old 2007 Jialing project bike has to get finished or I won't have anything to ride!

By the way, her Classic 350 is awesome!

After reading others on here having clutch cable issues I think I will attempt a clutch cable from a Honda XR200 next.

I know the engine runs good but want to be sure it will power the bike through the gears before I disassemble it and do paint, custom seat etc.

Since the Jialing is now mine and not hers I'll probably make it into a kind of scrambler/trail bike. Since I'm vertically challenged (5' 7") I'd like to find a 19" front rim and maybe a 17" rear rim. If not I'll stay with the 21/18 combo for now.

Old 11-15-2022, 10:04 PM   #7

You may be able to drop the seat height by drilling a new hole(s) through the lower rear shock mount. Check out the two positions offered on this KTM replacement shock.
https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=31860

If your lower shock mount is similar, you can drill new holes to get the swingarm closer to the seat. A half inch shorter will yield 1" or more lower at the end of the swingarm. I am no geometry major, but it is a triangle. Maybe I can figure out the math with the help of my math genius son

The other option (or use both!) is to make two doglegs that are longer to connect the linkage to the lower shock mount. This is a viable option, but for me, not so easy because the two doglegs are welded to a cylinder. It is a "unit". I would have to fabricate a new one.

On the new lower shock mounting holes, they must be no larger than the pin diameter of the bolt that goes through the original mounting holes, or the pin will move every time you hit a bump, or get air. A bushing could be used to fix that, but drilling the right sized holes is a better plan (and they have to be parallel, so I will use a drill press when I finally get around to it.

Old 11-17-2022, 01:51 AM   #8

I'll post a picture of the lower shock mount as soon as I did the bike out of the garage. Thanks for the reply Thumper!

Old 11-20-2022, 03:36 PM   #9

The Jialing 200cc Lives! (Frankenstein Lives!)

After a very unsuccessful hunt for a clutch cable I purchased a clutch cable repair kit from Amazon and using an old cable housing installed a new cable and sized it properly to fit the donor engine and it appeared to function properly.

Next step was to see if I could get the engine to start as it's been about 7 months since I installed this used donor engine off another china bike on this Jialing and other than getting it to fire hadn't gotten much further.

I hung the gasoline IV from the handle bars, hooked up my jump starter and after a few attempts the engine fired up! My wife quickly disconnected the jump pack, I jumped on the bike (without a seat) and headed for the street in front of my house.

I was so excited that I ended up riding around the block shifting through all the gears completely throwing caution to the wind. I was shocked that without any tuning whatsoever it actually ran pretty good and shifted through the gears nicely.

This 15 year old, beat up China bike wanted to ride!

My wife grabbed her IPhone and shot some video. I'll post it soon!

UPDATE: The video resolution from my wife's IPhone must have been set to VHS quality. It was horrible. I'll try to get another video this weekend.

Last edited by TommyD; 11-24-2022 at 11:11 AM.

Old 02-06-2023, 11:04 AM   #10

Update to this Jialing project

It's been awhile since I've posted. Here's my update:

Lowering the seat height and bike

After reshaping the seat pan I shaved about 1 1/2" off the foam. It still left me with at least 1 1/2" of foam in the shallow areas.

I replaced the 290mm mono shock with a 270mm off the parts bike.

I raised the forks 1" in the triple tree.

I can now nearly flat foot wearing tennis shoes. Riding boots will probably get me to flat footing the bike! BTW, I am 5' 6", 28" inseam.

What's next

Install new upholstery on the seat.

Install fuel line from gas tank to carburetor (not sure what size, 1/4" was too big).

Get it started again and take it for the 2nd test ride - this time twice around the block.

If all goes well this will end phase 1 of the restoration (finally).

Phase 2

I've purchased various parts for the bike like front fender, front and rear brake master cylinders, some new controls, tail light, turn signals etc.

Still need new tires, better front headlight, new sprockets and chain.

Most likely will paint the large gas tank and at least touch up paint on the frame where I've welded and made modifications.

Questions

I will likely have questions on sprockets and chain as the dual sport will be used mostly in the city at speeds no faster than 50 MPH.

Old 02-06-2023, 03:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyD View Post
It's been awhile since I've posted. Here's my update:

Lowering the seat height and bike

After reshaping the seat pan I shaved about 1 1/2" off the foam. It still left me with at least 1 1/2" of foam in the shallow areas.

I replaced the 290mm mono shock with a 270mm off the parts bike.

I raised the forks 1" in the triple tree.

I can now nearly flat foot wearing tennis shoes. Riding boots will probably get me to flat footing the bike! BTW, I am 5' 6", 28" inseam.

What's next

Install new upholstery on the seat.

Install fuel line from gas tank to carburetor (not sure what size, 1/4" was too big).

Get it started again and take it for the 2nd test ride - this time twice around the block.

If all goes well this will end phase 1 of the restoration (finally).

Phase 2

I've purchased various parts for the bike like front fender, front and rear brake master cylinders, some new controls, tail light, turn signals etc.

Still need new tires, better front headlight, new sprockets and chain.

Most likely will paint the large gas tank and at least touch up paint on the frame where I've welded and made modifications.

Questions

I will likely have questions on sprockets and chain as the dual sport will be used mostly in the city at speeds no faster than 50 MPH.
where in AZ are you? I've got a gently used 45 tooth sprocket if that'll work, just come and get it
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam
Nibbi PE30 and cone filter

Front fork brace

Old 02-07-2023, 01:38 AM   #12

Thanks for the offer, Alex. Unfortunately I live on the far East side of the Valley and don't get out to the West side.