Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2022, 04:25 PM   #1

2020 tbr7 first street ride

Hi all, 2020 tbr7, usual mods, jetted, sprokets,chain,ngk,foam air filter,knobby tires.
Just moved to bowling green k.y. from long island n.y. went the Vermont registration.
Bike had about 600-700miles on it when I rode it in n.y. with a dummy plate, all suburbs and some woods. I've put about 125miles on the bike in the last 3 rides, exploring the bueatiful Kentucky country side. Bike does well, not really stable at higher speeds 60-65.
Ill put some of the blame on the NON dot tires I put on trying to improve handling on LONG Island sand. (not much of an improvement). Overall I like the bike! Ill just stick to the back roads where the speeds are up to 50mph. That's where the bike (and me) are most comfortable. The when the knobbies are worn ill switch to a kenda, or shinko brand.
Bike is a lil tall, and heavy for my size (5/7) I've lowered it as much as I can. Shaved the seat, fork tubes up 2 inches. Preload all the way down in back. For a 1380$ bike I'd have to say its worth it.I have gotten compliments on it. Winter is comming, I hope to have a few more rides before hibernation. I want to cut the cat but leave the muffler (?) And get a 4* timing key. Maybe send the head to bet ported. My automotive skills allow me to tinker, and will keep this bike in proper repair. I'd like to get a TW200 but they are expensive. And used ones as rare as they are, is like gold (thanks tbskid)lol.

Old 10-12-2022, 06:03 PM   #2

Since you aren't going to have need for top speed for a while, I would put the stock sprockets back on. It obviously won't actually make HP, but it will feel more powerful . And definitely ditch the catalytic converter.

Old 10-12-2022, 06:09 PM   #3

My buddy bought a TW200 about same time I got my TT250, and I think TdubsKid was likely his main encouragement. Even simply looking at his and mine together, you can tell the Yama has superior construction. But after getting used to mine, that thing feels like I'm riding a Grom because it's so small. And after many trips that we've done, he has a bit of buyers remorse, since we're on paved roads 90% of the time. His 55mph is like my 65mph... Wide open throttle, no room for extra, and the thing just screams, so we tend to find backroads where we can comfortably rock out in the 45-50mph range. But when we do find the rare dirt road... man does the Tdub shine, it's more of a two-wheeled tractor than a motorcycle.

Old 10-13-2022, 09:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captcj68chris@aol. View Post
Hi all, 2020 tbr7, usual mods, jetted, sprokets,chain,ngk,foam air filter,knobby tires.
Just moved to bowling green k.y. from long island n.y. went the Vermont registration.
Bike had about 600-700miles on it when I rode it in n.y. with a dummy plate, all suburbs and some woods. I've put about 125miles on the bike in the last 3 rides, exploring the bueatiful Kentucky country side. Bike does well, not really stable at higher speeds 60-65.
Ill put some of the blame on the NON dot tires I put on trying to improve handling on LONG Island sand. (not much of an improvement). Overall I like the bike! Ill just stick to the back roads where the speeds are up to 50mph. That's where the bike (and me) are most comfortable. The when the knobbies are worn ill switch to a kenda, or shinko brand.
Bike is a lil tall, and heavy for my size (5/7) I've lowered it as much as I can. Shaved the seat, fork tubes up 2 inches. Preload all the way down in back. For a 1380$ bike I'd have to say its worth it.I have gotten compliments on it. Winter is comming, I hope to have a few more rides before hibernation. I want to cut the cat but leave the muffler (?) And get a 4* timing key. Maybe send the head to bet ported. My automotive skills allow me to tinker, and will keep this bike in proper repair. I'd like to get a TW200 but they are expensive. And used ones as rare as they are, is like gold (thanks tbskid)lol.

I've done all those mods you're talking about and they're well worth it. Also add a fork brace, it prevents the forks from twisting under heavy braking
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam
Nibbi PE30 and cone filter

Front fork brace

Old 10-13-2022, 09:45 PM   #5

Hi all hi alex, I'd like to get a fork brace,, I saw your post on that. WHITE POWER? Lists that they have one like yours. Problem is THEY DO JOT STOCK THOSE!!! They have the one that cost 3 times the price of the one you would like. I called the company last year when looking, got a woman on the phone after asking here about the brace, she recommended the expensive one, I asked her about the one wanted. "SHE ACTUALLY SAID. WE DONT STOCK THOSE!!!!. WE ONLY STOCK THE HARLY DAVIDSON ONES ". I really don't want to pay 89.00$ for 3 cents of steel, and wait 7 -12 months to be told its on back order. Do not buy from that company! Bait and switch!!
Safe riding

Old 10-14-2022, 05:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Hi all hi alex, I'd like to get a fork brace,, I saw your post on that. WHITE POWER? Lists that they have one like yours. Problem is THEY DO JOT STOCK THOSE!!! They have the one that cost 3 times the price of the one you would like. I called the company last year when looking, got a woman on the phone after asking here about the brace, she recommended the expensive one, I asked her about the one wanted. "SHE ACTUALLY SAID. WE DONT STOCK THOSE!!!!. WE ONLY STOCK THE HARLY DAVIDSON ONES ". I really don't want to pay 89.00$ for 3 cents of steel, and wait 7 -12 months to be told its on back order. Do not buy from that company! Bait and switch!!
Safe riding
pretty sure I used a harley wide glide one that I got from amazon for like $40 or so. I had to drill my own holes and do some re-shaping to get it to fit, probably didn't take more than 1/2 hour or so with a good vice and some 2x4s cut to width
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20221014_142007.jpg (492.5 KB, 95 views)
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam

Front fork brace

Old 10-14-2022, 08:40 PM   #7

Hi alex, Hi all, the picture you posted on that fork brace looks to be sturdy. Did you notice any improvement in sand, loose stuff? Even with knobby front tire y bike is still very squriley.
Just doesn't feel planted. I guess any reinforcement would be an improvement.
Safe riding
Christopher

Old 10-15-2022, 11:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Hi alex, Hi all, the picture you posted on that fork brace looks to be sturdy. Did you notice any improvement in sand, loose stuff? Even with knobby front tire y bike is still very squriley.
Just doesn't feel planted. I guess any reinforcement would be an improvement.
Safe riding
Christopher
not on sand, very much on the road though. IMHO these bikes are over-braked on the front and grabbing a handfull would cause the bike to veer to the left. now it just brakes in a straight line no matter how hard you grab it
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam

Front fork brace