Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2015, 11:44 PM   #1

Louis's Genuine RoughHouse50 upgrades

Well, I got plum sick and tired of remodeling this darn house, so I took a night off from house restoration and decided I was in desperate need of
some " wrench therapy" :-D

As in my sig. , I still own a 2014 Genuine Scooter Company (subsidiary of Vespa as I understand it)
I gave it to my wife when I bought the Will200 Dual Sport, but she has put, now hold on, 1 ONE mile on it since February. So I ride it from time to time to keep the fuel swapped out and battery charged.
I had ordered all those "stage 2" performance goodies back many months ago, http://www.scooterworks.com/performa...8#.VZtIf-9RGP8 and since I am so crunched for space in the new house, one GOOD way to get that big 'ol box out of the way is to PUT THEM ON!!!!! lmao!!!!!

Soooooooo, I laid in the floor and went to work.
Hard to tell in the pictures, but the 70cc sure is a LOT bigger piston than the 49cc !!!!
Tonight I got the old engine apart and new piston, jug, and head installed. Fought with that stupid teeny tiny wrist pin retaining snapring for nearly 20 min!!! UHHHGGGG! Anywhooooo, tomorrow I will remove and rejet the carb, install the exhaust, and tear down the CVT and hopefully by Thursday --weather permitting-- I can ride it to work again. Rode it today and remembered why I love the little scooters so much.
LOVE my big Yamaha V-Star cruiser, but the little scooters just work so darn well zipping around town! In bone stock form I have no problems keeping up with the in town traffic going to work. There is one, and only one section of the drive in to work that gives me trouble. A very very long 40 MPH 4 to 5% uphill section on the way in. 45ish MPH at the bottom, by the time I get to the top I am going MAYBE 30 MPH with umpteen cars behind me pissed off at the little scooter dork!

I HOPE this will fix that problem!!! For my closed-course competition of course. I would Neeeeeeevvvvvver put it on the road.
:-D
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0706152029.jpg (41.4 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg 0706152029a.jpg (95.9 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg RH50 ENGINE OUT.jpg (78.2 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by Louis Angel; 07-07-2015 at 02:16 PM.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:21 AM   #2

Awesome! Did it jump to a 47mm piston? I ask that, because the horizontal dirt bike / atv motors use a 47mm piston in the 70cc engine.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-07-2015, 02:20 PM   #3

Hey Weld, it is a 47mm bore. I am not sure if true displacement is 70cc, or 72cc, since the same kit is listed on the scooterworks website in 2 places, yet under 2 part#s ( 1st part # being part od the "stage 2 kit", 2nd part# being just the piston & jug kit alone )
Here is a link to the actual piston kit used in the S2 kit: http://www.scooterworks.com/prima-cy...p#.VZwXvGfbKpo

Also I changed the bottom picture in my original post showing the "right now" scooter as it sat this morning.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:27 PM   #4

Are you installing the original exhaust? What was the diameter of the original piston? Do you know the stroke?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-07-2015, 09:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Are you installing the original exhaust? What was the diameter of the original piston? Do you know the stroke?
As seen below, I installed the Prima pipe that came in the Stg2 kit.
I left off the rear fender & brackets on purpose.
The Prima pipe has a really great sound to it. Not too loud at all, but can definitely tell it has been modded well beyond stock. Some of this may be coming from the larger displacement as well.

Original bore & stroke an all 50cc PGO / Genuine 2 stroke engines
is 40mm x 39.2mm

Got the scoot back together today. Instantly noticeable power boost.
Still slower from everywhere from 0-Top end than a Honda PCX150.
That part really did surprise me because the RoughHouse is so much lighter, AND is a 2 stroke. :-/ Oh well.
I am not satisfied with the roller weight & contra spring set up.
It was faster 0-20 in bone stock form!!!
BUT, 21MPH & beyond it did better. A LOT better on the top end!
However, there is this, , , , , , , , lag, , , for the lack of a better term, from 35 to 45 MPH. It is like this:
0-20 "come on! Come ON!"
21-35 MPH " Oh WOW! Holly Crap! "
36-45 MPH "Where the CRAP did my power just go!!!!????!!!!!"
45 to whatever the heck I was doing (see pic below) "Oh wow, it is still speeding up! Weeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am a scooter dork!!!! " LMAO!
Sorry guys, if you willingly CHOSE to ride a scooter, you are a DORK!
And I am a dork right there with you grinning all the way!

Hell, not like anyone really cares what you ride. Seriously. Who can you say truly CARES that you ride a scooter? No one.
Had a guy in a 6.2L (gas) F150 tell me at the gas pump he was getting 13MPG. I said I am getting 98. He then replied "Yeah, but only dorks or dudes with too many DUI's ride scooters!" I then showed him pictures of my V-Star, my S-Class Mercedes, my wifes Volvo, and just grinned and said "Yes sir, my name is Louis, and I am a scooter dork"
The MOST I squeezed in was $1.72, as I fired the little 50 (at the time) up and drove away, his pump was at $71 & change and still going! 0_0
* shakes head *

In the pic below of the speedometer, at the tip of my finger is where the needle stopped at tonight on my break in run. Not sure how fast it was, or how far off the speedometer is, but on 10" wobbly wheels, it was damn fast!
I ordered a Trail Tec Vapor speedo & tach, shipped UPS Next Day Air, and will try to install it tomorrow so I can get accurate RPM and TRUE speed readings. In bone stock but de-restricted form, it would just barely touch the 50MPH mark. So I will know, and report, how fast it was actually going at that mark (stock speed) and what the new true top out speed is.
Now, I am not saying that whatever speed it is, that it is all it can do.
I strongly feel with more tweaking and --maybe-- going even larger on the main jet, more speed could be found. I went from a 75 stock to a 95 that was provided in the kit. Time will tell.

In picture 2, I have the CVT cover was left off, and will remain off, during the next few weeks (or months) till I get tired of swapping stuff around on the CVT and feel that whatever combination I end up with is ideal. One would THINK what was provided in the Stage2 kit would be perfect.
Mmmmmmmmm. Maybe if you lived in flat Kansas maybe. lol

Picture 3 is of the Prima exhaust and deleted rear fender. I also removed the rear luggage rack since it is just adding weight and is never used.

OH!!!! And I almost forgot, I ordered a 3-In-One rear LED tail/stop/turn light assembly to go on the rear to further streamline the tail end. I have 3 different windscreens I can put on it, just got to play around and see what looks the best.

Ya know, I am kinda enjoying this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0707151825.jpg (36.3 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg 0707151916a.jpg (50.7 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg 0707151916.jpg (46.1 KB, 106 views)

Old 07-07-2015, 09:25 PM   #6

Very cool. Does it have the GY6 style engine?

/

Old 07-08-2015, 12:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
Very cool. Does it have the GY6 style engine?

/
Nope. Nothing alike at all.

The GY6 is a 4-stroke.

The RoughHouse50 uses the 50cc 2-stroke PGO engine.
Transmission parts are much alike though.

And thanks. )

Old 07-08-2015, 11:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Angel View Post
Hey Weld, it is a 47mm bore. I am not sure if true displacement is 70cc, or 72cc
Your new displacement is 68cc, vs. 49cc with the old setup.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:48 AM   #9

Awesome read! I'm definitely a scooter dork, but only from afar right now. I'm currently working on a similar two-stroke for a friend, but there's no big-bore kit in its future.

Is the carb the CV type? Do you think there's a reed valve from Boyesen that might fit?

Old 07-08-2015, 02:56 PM   #10

Quote:
.............Is the carb the CV type? Do you think there's a reed valve from Boyesen that might fit?
Not a clue. Oh either question. Sorry, I am still in the learning
phase on these Genuine scooters.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Your new displacement is 68cc, vs. 49cc with the old setup.
Advertisements are sometimes (often) misleading and iffy.
Math never lies!
Thanks for the computation!

Old 07-09-2015, 12:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Not a clue. Oh either question. Sorry, I am still in the learning
phase on these Genuine scooters.
A CV carb has a hat on top with four screws, and there is a vacuum actuated diaphragm underneath. If you don't have a CV, then you likely have a round slide carb, with a 1:1 pull as you twist the throttle.

If you can figure out the closest big name engine to your two-stroke, you might be able to find a Boyesen reed valve that would bolt in. I recommend that you research them.
http://www.boyesen.com/

Old 07-09-2015, 12:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Advertisements are sometimes (often) misleading and iffy.
Math never lies!
Thanks for the computation!
Even the major manufacturers round up; it's very common and acceptable. It's only the rare company (like Ducati) that will post actual displacements, like 821, 848 or 899. You gotta admit, it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:30 PM   #14

I understand. The Honda CB300F I had was actually 286cc.
However, the Ninja 300 is right on at 299cc. :-/

In other news, I made a YouTube vid on accelerating up a 2 to 3 % uphill from a stop after the current mods. And just an fyi, I don't always run it this hard. The posted peed limit for the vast majority of the trip to work & back is 35 mph

I ordered yet another $120ish worth of stuff from scooter works this morning.

NCY golden variator pulley (half) http://www.scooterworks.com/ncy-pull...8#.VZ8ATO9RGP8

Dr. Pulley 6.0g slider weights (currently running 8.0G NCY rollers)
http://www.scooterworks.com/dr--pull...8#.VZ8AzO9RGP8

NCY 1500 RPM clutch springs
http://www.scooterworks.com/ncy-clut...8#.VZ8CRe9RGP8

NCY lightweight clutch bell
http://www.scooterworks.com/ncy-clut...8#.VZ8Cb-9RGP8

and a NCY secondary slider
http://www.scooterworks.com/ncy-seco...8#.VZ8Csu9RGP8

The NCY 1500 RPM contra spring is already installed.
The reason for all that junk is to boost the off the line acceleration.
As you can tell in the video, the initial launch from 0 to 10 MPH is VERY laggy. I read in a couple of places today that it is highly possible because of the new exhaust pipe. Too "peaky", ie. tuned entirely for top end RPM performance. But kills off the line efficiency. --- shrugs --- I guess I can always install the factory exhaust back on and see what it does. But I want to install all those above listed parts first. Take some readings, then install factory exhaust and run the same course and see what the difference is.

Last edited by Louis Angel; 07-09-2015 at 09:35 PM.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:10 PM   #15

Hey y'all. I have an honest question.
The variator outer half looks like a lawnmower flywheel with those
cooling fan fins.
I have been running around for 2 days with my CVT cover off while
tuning & testing till I get the CVT tuned to how I want it.
Is there any danger, equipment wise, by running the scooter with the CVT cover off? ( I see obvious safety concerns, but this is only a temporary thing.)
Also, I see Kevlar belts listed for sale for $56. Are they better (performance wise) than a stock belt? I am not talking longer belt life, I am talking better speed & acceleration.

Variator pulley thingy with fins I am talking about:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RH50 variator thingy.jpg (53.2 KB, 111 views)