Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2015, 10:36 AM   #1

Sorting the bike... and it's a beautiful thing

As a student pilot, one thing my instructor has drilled into me is that in aviation, YOU (as the pilot) are responsible for checking everything on the aircraft to make sure it is airworthy before each and every flight. This is called a "Pre-Flight" inspection. I think of it as checking and eliminating reasons for the airplane to kill me.

Funny thing is that aviation and motorcycling have a lot in common.

I'm loving my RX-3 Cyclone. Really. A lot. But I had a few things that I needed to sort... a minor steering head wobble above 75 mph, occasional false neutral between 3rd and 4th gear, a hard time finding neutral, and bottoming the rear suspension. (yes, I'm a big guy... and the donut on Friday sure didn't help.)

But it occurred to me (late) that it is MY responsibility as the owner/rider (every bit as much as being a pilot) that I am responsible for the readiness of the bike for a ride. Just like an airplane, it may have been assembled somewhere else, but I am ultimately responsible for making sure the airplane is airworthy, and the bike is ride-worthy. Basically, a "Pre-Ride" inspection.

So with the helpful posts on this forum, I went through the various checks. I checked nuts and bolts, adjusted the tire pressures, adjusted the preload on the rear suspension (7 turns tighter turned out to be the ticket for me), adjusted the dampening rate on the rear shock, adjusted the clutch cable, and I tightened the shift lever (slightly loose.)

The sum result is that the minor steering head wobble is gone, no false neutrals between gears, and neutral is a lot easier to find. The bike rides great, suspension working and is comfortable (no bottoming), the transmission snicks into gear, and despite being a big guy with ATGATT, the bike will readily get to 80 mph (GPS speed). I backed off after it climbed to 84 mph. Dang... all of my issues were MY fault for not having performed my checks and making the proper adjustments for my weight.

After reading Joe Berk's book, 5000 Miles at 8000 RPM (which I finished in one sitting... it was that good), I read that Joe checked the tires and chains on every bike on that trip, every day. A daily Pre-Ride inspection. What great diligence. Joe would make a great aviator.

I really enjoyed the bike before, but after the shake-down run this AM, I can say that I am REALLY loving this bike, and it's worth every penny.

Sorry for the long post!

Old 09-26-2015, 10:46 AM   #2

Good work! You are swiftly becoming an experienced China Rider. As you continue to work on your bike you will become increasingly familiar with it, and will be able to diagnose potential problems from sound, et cetera. It is very important to be able to diagnose, and fix problems with your bike while traveling on a long trip.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-26-2015, 01:56 PM   #3

I finally received my bike on Wednesday. Riden about 140 miles, 30 were forest service roads. Very impressed with the RX-3 , still running it in a bit before I run her full throttle. Ordered w upgrade seat and 13T sprocket so can't really compare. Seems adequate. Very solid feel to the bike.
Most interesting is response by others. Most don't notice or care to look at nice features of the Zong. I call 'em 'Brand Snobs'. Those bike knowlegable can easily see the advanced features of this good value bike and are quick to say so.
Question: What are the two, 2 wire empty connectors on the left side hanging under the seat to be used for?
Thank you for your informed opinion RTKing.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:03 PM   #4

Hi GSC, congrats on your bike! I agree, people need to get past their perceptions and see the bike for what it is, which is a genuinely quality product.

The two connectors under seat are your accessory 12v connectors. On the right handlebar, there's a switch for a Accessory 1 (A1) or Accessory 2 (A2). That switch powers those accessory connectors.

Cheers!

Old 09-26-2015, 03:24 PM   #5

Oh I see. Do you happen to also know the two connectors tucked in behind the speedo are for? thank you.

Old 09-26-2015, 04:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC View Post
Oh I see. Do you happen to also know the two connectors tucked in behind the speedo are for? thank you.
I believe those two connectors are for the optional 5w USB / 12v cigarette lighter that fit on either side wings of the instrument panel.

Old 09-26-2015, 04:38 PM   #7

Quote:
...Question: What are the two, 2 wire empty connectors on the left side hanging under the seat to be used for?
Thank you for your informed opinion RTKing.
Quote:
RT is correct on both counts. All of the accessory outlets are keyed to the ignition switch.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-26-2015, 11:33 PM   #8

Preflight

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtking View Post
As a student pilot, one thing my instructor has drilled into me is that in aviation, YOU (as the pilot) are responsible for checking everything on the aircraft to make sure it is airworthy before each and every flight. This is called a "Pre-Flight" inspection. I think of it as checking and eliminating reasons for the airplane to kill me.

Funny thing is that aviation and motorcycling have a lot in common.

I'm loving my RX-3 Cyclone. Really. A lot. But I had a few things that I needed to sort... a minor steering head wobble above 75 mph, occasional false neutral between 3rd and 4th gear, a hard time finding neutral, and bottoming the rear suspension. (yes, I'm a big guy... and the donut on Friday sure didn't help.)

So with the helpful posts on this forum, I went through the various checks. I checked nuts and bolts, adjusted the tire pressures, adjusted the preload on the rear suspension (7 turns tighter turned out to be the ticket for me), adjusted the dampening rate on the rear shock, adjusted the clutch cable, and I tightened the shift lever (slightly loose.)

I really enjoyed the bike before, but after the shake-down run this AM, I can say that I am REALLY loving this bike, and it's worth every penny.

Sorry for the long post!
An astute comparison, RTKing.

A 4 wheel vehicle on the pavement with many neglected items will still get you around. Two wheelers not so much. Like an aircraft, neglecting small but IMPORTANT things like tire pressure can get you injured or sort of dead forever. Sound harsh, but it's true.

Glad that you learned (and shared) what problems you were having and what fixed them! I can tell that you now know what a great little thrifty bike these are.

Setting the suspension for both rider (load) and conditions can make a world of difference, as you've learned. It's important for a rider to understand that what works for one person may not be right for them. I'm 6' tall but only 150 lbs fully suited, for example.

Preflight/ride should include:
1. (Key off) Tire pressure, chain slack, lever feel (clutch & brakes) THEN fluids (oil, coolant, brake fluid, fuel).
2. (Key on) Listen for fuel pump, dash lights, all other lights and especially brake light working from both front and rear levers, horn.
3. Engine started, listen for any unusual sounds from the engine as well as the bike in general. Rev the throttle a couple times to listen for any new buzz or rattle.
4. Helmet on now, because a good helmet (and other hearing protection) can muffle those sounds in #3.

Okay, grandpa lecture concluded. I just want each & every one of my friends that I have never met to finish each ride intact, or at least if you get hurt it's because you had too much fun, not a faulty machine.

Love & stuff, Grandpa,,,,,, er,,,,,, Jay.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
Preflight/ride should include:
1. (Key off) Tire pressure, chain slack, lever feel (clutch & brakes) THEN fluids (oil, coolant, brake fluid, fuel).
2. (Key on) Listen for fuel pump, dash lights, all other lights and especially brake light working from both front and rear levers, horn.
3. Engine started, listen for any unusual sounds from the engine as well as the bike in general. Rev the throttle a couple times to listen for any new buzz or rattle.
4. Helmet on now, because a good helmet (and other hearing protection) can muffle those sounds in #3.

I just want each & every one of my friends that I have never met to finish each ride intact, or at least if you get hurt it's because you had too much fun, not a faulty machine.
This is outstanding, Jay! Wholeheartedly agree. Thank you for this Pre-Ride Checklist.

Cheers!

Bob

Old 09-27-2015, 07:09 PM   #10

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
Preflight/ride should include...

Very useful list.

Thank you Jay!
- ex Honda Storm 125 (2009)
- ex Corven Triax 250 Touring (2016) (Zongshen RX3 carb)
Benelli TRK 502 (2018)

Old 09-28-2015, 12:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtking View Post
... all of my issues were MY fault for not having performed my checks and making the proper adjustments for my weight.
You've got a good attitude!

I'm glad to hear that your bike is working well for you. Never apologize for such a well thought out post.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-28-2015, 02:12 AM   #12

X2.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 09-28-2015, 09:23 PM   #13

I'm a pilot by trade and walk around my bike prior to use as well. Another habit I picked up is using Torque Seal to witness mark fasteners for quick inspection.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:03 PM   #14

Torque Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee R View Post
I'm a pilot by trade and walk around my bike prior to use as well. Another habit I picked up is using Torque Seal to witness mark fasteners for quick inspection.

Excellent tip, Lee! Even comes in colors to match our RX=3's!
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/catalog.../?brand=Torque Seal

Old 09-29-2015, 08:44 AM   #15

Many of the fastners are marked such on my new arrival. Its confidence inspiring to see factory bothered.