Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2019, 07:38 AM   #16

looks like Triumph of some sort ..
like a 2000 or 2500 but a 2 door..

definitely not a Triumph Stag...

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 01-11-2019, 10:10 AM   #17

Thumbs Up classic car answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
looks like Triumph of some sort ..
like a 2000 or 2500 but a 2 door..

definitely not a Triumph Stag...

It is indeed a 1971 Triumph Stag. It throws many people off when you put on the factory hard top as it makes it look like a coupe and not a convertible with a hard top that does not quite fit right. My stag is still a work in progress, but i have put in a mustang 5.0 with a matching 4 speed overdrive transmission. The fuel injection manifold would not fit under the stock hood ( i will not cut the hood) so i put an edelbrock intake and 600cfm carb .

Glad that you guys are a bunch of gear heads too.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
The TMEC 200 uses an oddball hub that fits a few European-spec bikes. Not to mention, JT's only go to a 48 rear, whereas I felt that a 46 would have been ideal. Most Chinese enduros seem to use the 1979 (and probably several other years's) XL185 hub making them easy to find a multitude of rear gearing. I have been intrigued trying a 17/39--don't ask me why because I couldn't tell you, but I recall someone having that gearing and mentioning it, and I it just screamed "Road trip!"...on a Chinese dual sport... LOL

It looks like a Jensen Healy GT is my guess.
Me!!!!!
75 M.P.H

Old 01-11-2019, 07:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Me!!!!!
75 M.P.H
Thank you for clarifying!! Not to hijack, but was it a Hawk?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-12-2019, 02:35 PM   #20

I usually use the 17/39 on the Bashan 200... others have also tried that combo, but some riders don't like the "loss of much needed torque"... me only weighing 108 pounds and being a "need for speed" junky, I don't really notice any loss of torque, easily gets me up and down the mountains without shifting as much, top speed is just over 80 mph so I can quickly get to the mountains... so I like the 17/39 on our China Bike

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Thank you for clarifying!! Not to hijack, but was it a Hawk?
Yes, it was a 2015 Hawk.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:55 PM   #22

The sprockets are common and CB125 - can supply.
I am looking for assistance for the digital dash and I am willing to do a FREE sample for assistance to get the info I need to make a set up etc.

If that helps PM me - if not just ignore me

Old 01-13-2019, 11:29 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
paulsstag… I should have said this earlier you can use the sprocket you have now. Just use your original sprocket as template and drill new holes in the new sprocket. That is what I did on my bike. there is not allot of options for the jtr810 sprocket avalible in the U.S.A. Both sprockets have a 58mm center hole.
Thanks Jeffrey . i did thing about doing that but the sprocket has a counter sink or groove cut into it right in the middle of where i need to drill the holes ?

Old 01-17-2019, 12:09 PM   #24

@paulsstag What is the top speed of the TBR7 on flat road?

Old 01-17-2019, 03:36 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brap View Post
@paulsstag What is the top speed of the TBR7 on flat road?
@ Brap , not 100% sure yet . It did show 60 mph on the speedo with more to go with the stock gearing but 1st not sure how accurate the speedo is? and 2nd with the stock gearing the rpms sounded really high to my ear ? ( no tach ). Just went out for a nice ride today with the 17 tooth front vs the 15 tooth stock and now at an indicated 50mph the bike sounds and feels great. Also i have reconsidered changing the rear sprocket at this time as i went on some very narrow and rough trails and found first gear about perfect ( the goldilocks state ) and realised if i went smaller on the rear i feel first would be too tall for this kind of riding.

Old 01-17-2019, 04:52 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsstag View Post
@ Brap , not 100% sure yet . It did show 60 mph on the speedo with more to go with the stock gearing but 1st not sure how accurate the speedo is? and 2nd with the stock gearing the rpms sounded really high to my ear ? ( no tach ). Just went out for a nice ride today with the 17 tooth front vs the 15 tooth stock and now at an indicated 50mph the bike sounds and feels great. Also i have reconsidered changing the rear sprocket at this time as i went on some very narrow and rough trails and found first gear about perfect ( the goldilocks state ) and realised if i went smaller on the rear i feel first would be too tall for this kind of riding.
That sounds about right. Your bike with a 15f/46r sprocket setup and a 110/90-17 tire has the same effective gearing as our Hawks 15/50 with its 110/100-18 tire. With the 17 tooth front you have the same gearing as the Bashan Brozz and a factory equivalent gearing as a TT250 (17/50 with the 18" tire).

With that gearing, you are sitting right at 7000rpm at 60mph.
With the stock 15 front and 46 rear you are at 7900rpm at 60mph.

Top speed should be right around 62ish mph, give or take. You could drop a tooth or two out back and still keep a lot of that first gear crawling ability. I know many TT250 owners drop down to a 49 or 48 tooth rear on their bikes.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Last edited by Megadan; 01-17-2019 at 07:35 PM.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:25 PM   #27

Thanks again Megadan for your valuable insight. I have a few questions that maybe you could answer. Has anyone or you considered the fork tube caps with a schrader valve so that one could put some air pressure (1 to 5psi ) in the tubes ? i recall many jap bikes from the 80's had it. Will my bike have a rev limiter from the factory and if so what rpm is it ?

Old 01-17-2019, 07:35 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsstag View Post
Thanks again Megadan for your valuable insight. I have a few questions that maybe you could answer. Has anyone or you considered the fork tube caps with a schrader valve so that one could put some air pressure (1 to 5psi ) in the tubes ? i recall many jap bikes from the 80's had it. Will my bike have a rev limiter from the factory and if so what rpm is it ?
To my knowledge nobody has done the air fork thing to these bikes. It would be interesting to try. I always found it easier just to adjust the fluid air gap in the forks themselves for an increased air spring effect. air forks went the way of the Dodo because they were notoriously unreliable over time.

For your bikes Rev limiter, it is likely the same 8500rpm as the rest of our CG250 bikes. The real issue is, these engines from the factory are so anemic past 7500 that outside of the low gears, reaching it is a challenge, and not really worth it. It is also why these bikes are very very gearing dependent when it comes to cruise RPM. The taller gearing, like a 17/43 on my Hawk, lets the engine sit in the strongest parts of the torque and horsepower curves. This lets it cruise right along at 55-60mph without having the throttle pegged. The top of the rpm range is so anemic that achieving those kinds of speeds is almost impossible at higher rpm. That is why Jerry and myself ported our heads... well that and we are both engine tuners/tinkerers.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Last edited by Megadan; 01-17-2019 at 08:36 PM.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:35 PM   #29

I did the valve thing. Drilled and tapped in the lathe ran the fitting in with liquid Teflon and they work, pretty good. With 4 PSI it's ok. Use a digital pressure gauge. Definitely better. Pro tip. If you pick truck haul a lot you should do this. Strap the forks down and bleed out the pressurized air your fork seals will thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (13.5 KB, 1548 views)
2018 Hawk P&P Decked .040 off the head. 17/43 D.I.D. 428, NGK Iridium plug, DeCat, Wrapped pipe, Custom S.S. Muffler core, Nibbi PE30 115/35, L.E.D. Lights, Digital Cluster, USB port, Cutting Bord skid plate, Oil cooler w/ custom CRF oil filter inline, 5Wt fork oil, Rear Shock, CNC Back Rack, 30mm FAT bars, Bark Busters, ProGrips, Adjustable levers, Shinko 700’s lots of Loctite!

Old 01-18-2019, 09:54 AM   #30

Thanks for the info @ megadan. Nice job on the schrader valve mod @ red hawk it looks great. Also a great tip to bleed out the air if you strap your bike down in a truck or trailer.