Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2009, 03:08 PM   #1

Fork oil q's

Does anyone know how to change the fork oil on a Lifan 100cc dirt bike. What weight oil should I be using? I'm pretty sure that mine has never been changed so I'd like to put some fresh oil in them. I lost a fork cap awhile ago on a ride and I was surprised that nothing squirted out.

Phil

Old 04-21-2009, 03:55 PM   #2

SAE 10 or 15 weight depending on how hard you want your damping. Some people get good results from using synthetic ATF (auto transmission fluid). Shops sell special fork oils too. If your forks are a bit old and worn, go for the heavier grades to avoid leakage.

You'll have to strip the front end and withdraw the forks from the machine. Before removal undo the top caps while they are being held by the triple clamps, otherwise it may be difficult to hold them and loosen the top cap later.

Turn upside down over a container, let the oil drain down and pump the fork a few times to get rid of all of it. If you dont know the quantity to put in, measure what comes out in total using a graduated jar, divide by two and add 10cc or so per fork leg to account for what may be left clinging to the insides. Ensure each leg gets the same amount.
Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
Yamaha Virago XV1100
Triumph Bonneville SE
Qingqi QM110GY
PGO Bug rider 250 Buggy

Old 04-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #3

I went out and got some PJ1 fork oil and the service guy says to mix wix it with a little ATF. Thanks for the help!

Phil

Old 04-23-2009, 04:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by forchetto
SAE 10 or 15 weight depending on how hard you want your damping. Some people get good results from using synthetic ATF (auto transmission fluid). Shops sell special fork oils too. If your forks are a bit old and worn, go for the heavier grades to avoid leakage.

You'll have to strip the front end and withdraw the forks from the machine. Before removal undo the top caps while they are being held by the triple clamps, otherwise it may be difficult to hold them and loosen the top cap later.

Turn upside down over a container, let the oil drain down and pump the fork a few times to get rid of all of it. If you dont know the quantity to put in, measure what comes out in total using a graduated jar, divide by two and add 10cc or so per fork leg to account for what may be left clinging to the insides. Ensure each leg gets the same amount.
Thank you for the superb information, Forchetto! I always enjoy reading your knowledgeable, insightful posts.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-23-2009, 09:53 AM   #5

Just thought I'd add a little info. In terms of the proper quantity of oil to add during refill, fully compress the fork leg with spring and spacer removed and add oil until it is 100mm from the top. I got this info from a tech at a local shop. I did mine this way since the forks had so little oil in them to begin with and I was unsure what the previous level was to begin with. I made a little tool not unlike a dipstick to get the level right. The ride is 100% better now that there is some oil in those fork legs.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:04 AM   #6

Good tips. Thanks for reporting back on the results.

Allen

Old 04-23-2009, 12:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by red85
Just thought I'd add a little info. In terms of the proper quantity of oil to add during refill, fully compress the fork leg with spring and spacer removed and add oil until it is 100mm from the top. I got this info from a tech at a local shop. I did mine this way since the forks had so little oil in them to begin with and I was unsure what the previous level was to begin with. I made a little tool not unlike a dipstick to get the level right. The ride is 100% better now that there is some oil in those fork legs.
That is a useful rule of thumb to remember. So many folk have no data concerning fork oil quantity, that it should come in useful. Thanks for the advice.
Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
Yamaha Virago XV1100
Triumph Bonneville SE
Qingqi QM110GY
PGO Bug rider 250 Buggy

Old 04-23-2009, 02:25 PM   #8

Thank you, Red! That is a great tip!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894