Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2016, 08:55 PM   #1

Rpoc

Russian Piece Of Crap.

But it's my Russian Piece Of Crap.

2007 Ural Gear Up. 18,000 mi. Besides the standard Gear Up stuff; jerry can, shovel, spot light, luggage rack, and 2wd, it also has heated grips and a Trail Tech. Runs like a top but will need tires soon. But for ten grand less than the 2016 Patrol I was going to look at, I can stomach a couple hundred for tires.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 09-25-2016, 08:17 AM   #2

Sweet! You got one! Love the Urals, I've watched many on and off road videos about them and they impress the heck out of me.

Congrats!

Old 09-26-2016, 11:54 AM   #3

Magnificent acquisition comrade Cheese-ski!
I also love Urals!
Is this a surprise or did I miss a thread where you were talking about getting one?

I hope this is in addition to, not instead of the Honda and your lovely bicycle collection.

Be careful on that thing. Sidehacks are weird under the best of circumstances.

Waiting for Wisconsin snow? ;-)

Old 09-26-2016, 12:23 PM   #4

Awesome! I've been lusting after one for awhile now. The 2WD will make it virtually unstoppable.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-26-2016, 01:47 PM   #5

I think they are pretty neat as well ,I think I want one .Is that bike sold as a kit ,or is there a dealership network of Russian plumbing stores selling Urinals ?

Old 09-26-2016, 02:07 PM   #6

Most excellent! how are you enjoying driving the rig so far? I have been looking long and hard at them. I've been hesitant due to the problem/repair factors and also lack of highway speed. I went with a sidecar attached to my Nomad instead.

Last edited by Sport Rider; 02-05-2020 at 06:13 PM.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc View Post
Magnificent acquisition comrade Cheese-ski!
I also love Urals!
Is this a surprise or did I miss a thread where you were talking about getting one?

I hope this is in addition to, not instead of the Honda and your lovely bicycle collection.

Be careful on that thing. Sidehacks are weird under the best of circumstances.

Waiting for Wisconsin snow? ;-)
Surprise? Kinda sorta. I received a partial payout of my portion of my late Aunts' estate and told Mrs. C that I was going Ural shopping. I was wanting to look at a 2016 Patrol that the local Ural dealer supposedly had but I never got a response. So, either they didn't have it in stock or they are just really slow to get back to people. I was also kind of hesitant to drop $16,000.00, even if I could pay cash.

So, while I was waiting to hear back, the Gear Up came up on craigslist and it was fairly local. An hour away instead of 15 minutes to the dealer. I contacted the guy on Thursday and agreed to go see it on Saturday. He was asking $6500, I offered $6000 and we settled at $6200.

The Gear Up is their top rig, followed by the Patrol, the CT and the M70. The last two are single wheel drive. Biggest differences between the Gear Up and the Patrol are the accessories. The Gear Up adds a windshield on the bike and a folding windshield on the side car along with a spotlight, the rack over the spare tire, a 20L jerry can, and a small folding shovel. This one also has two solo seats on the bike instead of a bench seat.

Biggest difference between the 16 and the 07 are electronic fuel injection and all that is required to make it work, disk brakes on all wheels, spin on oil filter, and a hydraulic steering stabilizer on the 16. The 07 has Keihen carbs, drums on the rear wheels, cartridge oil filter and a friction type steering stabilizer.

Because I jinxed myself on the Gold Wing and Fiat Spyder, I decided to stay low this time until I actually bought it.

As far as the bikes and the Honda go, we'll see. I don't know if I'm going to ever be able to bicycle like I used to, so it may be time to thin the herd. I just paid for another years' license and insurance on the Honda, so it will stay around until at least next summer. If it stays will depend on how often it gets used.

Weld-I'm just as impressed with having the ability to back up.

Bruce-I count nine dealers in Canada. http://imz-ural.com/dealer-locator.html

SR-I don't have it in my possession yet but the test ride I did was a blast. Had I looked at it on Friday instead of Saturday afternoon, I'd already have it at home. I'm not overly concerned about the reliability issues because fixing things is what I do and most anywhere I want to go I can get to without freeway running. It's already insured and rolling it home on Friday. BTW, I'm planning on being sick on Friday.

I'm working in Seattle right now and fly out tomorrow night. Redmond, WA is where Irbit Motorworks, the Ural importer, is located. I'm done early tomorrow and heading to Redmond for the ten cent tour before I fly home.

About the insurance, I had a good laugh with my agent about an option I didn't spring for. It was for free towing to the 'nearest service center'. Not a bad option, but my smart ass remark was, "So they'll tow it home to my garage?"

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 09-27-2016, 02:24 AM   #8

Whoa...6200 to 16000, that's a helluva of a fuel injector. Glad you went with the used, you will have it running better than factory I'm sure. The reverse , that answered my question. I will have to read up on the 2wd. Neat!
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 09-27-2016, 05:58 PM   #9

I got there.

I had a one on one tour with Jason, who has the same job title as I do, Technical Support Supervisor. It's a small operation so the tour only took about twenty minutes, but I got to see a lot of Urals. Gave me chills. Also got some questions answered about tires, vacuum ports, and bulbs.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 09-28-2016, 10:51 AM   #10

have you found the soviet steeds forum yet? I'm a member there too. I read a good bit but don't post much because I don't own one at this point. interesting to read though. I have a dealer about 45 minutes away. I really want to get down there sometime to test ride one. at least I'll have something to compare my Nomad against.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
have you found the soviet steeds forum yet? I'm a member there too. I read a good bit but don't post much because I don't own one at this point. interesting to read though. I have a dealer about 45 minutes away. I really want to get down there sometime to test ride one. at least I'll have something to compare my Nomad against.
Cheesy was taken so I'm cheeseheadmike over there. Like you, I laid low until I had a reason to post.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 09-28-2016, 11:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
Cheesy was taken so I'm cheeseheadmike over there. Like you, I laid low until I had a reason to post.
just to carry it another step further, a number of hack guys post on ADVriders forum and also on the USCA site. on ADV riders, there's an interesting thread about why NOT to buy a ural, but it's mostly positive press about the bike.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:17 PM   #13

Got it home tonight. The ride was...different. The closest thing I can compare it to is an early seventies snowmobile with bogie suspension. A bit of body english is needed at times when turning, especially when entering a roundabout. All in all, a fun 35 mile ride, though my upper body took a beating. The CX it ain't. Also, in over forty years of riding, I've never used a heel toe shifter. Something else to learn.

The sidecar. I have two fifty pound bags of sand in there for ballast.

The dash.

Either the Trail Tech or the speedo is lying. The speedo will show 65 and the Trail Tech shows 54. I think it's somewhere in between. When I get the new tires on, I'll recalibrate and relocate the Trail Tech.

The new tires showed up today which I thought was pretty good as they weren't supposed to ship until Monday.

Besides the new tires, there are a few adjustment to make. The rear brakes are way too loose and the idle is too high but that seems to be all I can really fault for now.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 09-30-2016, 10:30 PM   #14

you might try putting the sandbags in the trunk. that's where I keep mine, closer to the axle of the car tire.

it's a workout to drive these things. you are right aobut the snowmobile concept. left turns are not so tough, but lean your body to the right to help with the right turns.

I know the odometer is KM. is the speedo in MPH? wish you were closer so I could see how the leading link front end does. I'm running standard forks and I can feel the stresses on it in turns.

curious to hear what you think of the 2wd too!

Old 09-30-2016, 10:49 PM   #15

I had a bunch of tools, filters and stuff that would blow around shoved in the trunk, that's why I have the bags up front. It'll change tomorrow.

I found that a bit of throttle helped with the right turns. A lot of leaning and muscle was needed on the left turn in the roundabout. Though, I was trying not to get run down there. Low speed lefts are pretty easy. Basically, the sidecar just wants to pull you to the right.

The speedo reads in both. The blue is miles.

That leading link front end feels really solid.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800