Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2019, 12:31 PM   #1

2017 Tao Tao Rhino 250 Leaking Gas

I have a 2017 Tao Tao Rhino 250 that I use for farm work like moving hay and pulling a drag through a sand arena. Recently it's been dying in the middle of use and then not wanting to restart. Usually just letting it sit for a while and then putting some more gas in the tank solves the problem, so I was thinking maybe the fuel or air filter is getting clogged with dust from hay or sand.

This weekend it wouldn't start at all, but the gas was low so I put some more in and noticed it draining right out through the overflow tube. It's also leaking in another spot near the drain tube where it looks like a casing that is supposed to be round has a bit of a crimp in the side.

I've done some searching already and it sounds like maybe I just need to replace the carb, but I wanted to see if there are other suggestions to try?

Also, does anyone know if they make repair manuals for this model? I have been looking and haven't been able to find one.

TIA for your help!

Old 02-19-2019, 12:49 PM   #2

sounds like a bad carb bowl float sytem not shutting off the fuel when bowl is full of fuel already.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:14 PM   #3

Its likely a tiny piece of debris stuck between the float needle and seat, unfortunately the bowl is secured with "non removable" screws. A Dremill tool with a cutoff wheel cuts a slot in the screws so you can remove them. There are only a few simple parts in the carb so its easy to repair. Be sure to check the engine oil for fuel contamination.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:42 PM   #4

Agree on the stuck inlet valve ,you can try tapping the side of the carb ,it just might get it working correctly again .

Old 02-19-2019, 08:25 PM   #5

Hang on a sec ... the fuel is flowing out of the overflow?

That is a drain hose for the carb. Tighten the drain screw up and the problem should go away. Might have worked its way loose.

I'm not sure what the other part of the carb is you are describing... Can you take a picture of the "crimp" where it is leaking?

Old 02-20-2019, 11:26 AM   #6

Thanks, all!

It was $20 for a new carb and air filter (the old one was soaked with gas) with good reviews, so I'm just going to replace it. New stuff will be here tomorrow. Will let you know if that doesn't solve the problem!

Old 02-22-2019, 11:03 PM   #7

OK, so I replaced the carb today. No more gas leak, and the ATV is running again. It's actually much quieter now, too. Fingers crossed that this one lasts a while, but at least it was a relatively cheap and easy fix!