Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #1

150cc ATV Questions???

Hello,

I am looking at buying my wife a 150cc full auto atv and have checked the local dealers and found this at Abibaba in Vancouver http://www.abibaba.ca/ATV150HM.html the price seems really good and I like the styling. Did a quick search and determined it is manufactured here http://www.cnlianmei.com/product-detail-11867.html

So I would like to ask you guys a few questions.

Has anyone dealt with Abibaba and if so how was the experience?

Has anyone heard of LianMei? What is their quality like?

Would I be better of buying a TaoTao from Valley Motorsports (almost 50% more $$)?

This isn't a purchase I will be making anytime soon, would like to get her one before next summer.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:11 PM   #2

Do you need to buy a new one? I've found a few on CL from time to time, and they're usually less than $600.00. It's common to find them cheap, because they quit running and the owner gives up on it, assuming it's just China junk. The reality is that the fix is often simple, like maladjusted valves.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-27-2012, 11:46 PM   #3

A used one was my first thought because of the 1500-2000 price tag I was finding for new ones. Then I seen the one at Abibaba for 999.99 and figured that was a really good price for something brand new that no one else has beat on.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:00 AM   #4

Does the Alibaba price include shipping? Also import duties etc.

I agree with Weld. Used. MICRider is selling a Gio Beast. Not exactly what you are looking for, but it is nice.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:11 AM   #5

Abibaba is a store in Vancouver not the Alibaba website. As much as I personally like the GIO Beast my wife is firm on no shifting so I am trying to find a 150cc GY6 machine which I believe the Abibaba one is.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:35 AM   #6

My wife said the same thing, so we bought a Gio Monster 150. Those are what I occasionally see on CL, and they'll take a beating. I wouldn't be shy about buying a used one, because it will require work anyway, new or used. I promptly modded ours to accept a Uni pod filter, splash shield, chain slider and free-flowing muffler. I also drilled the steering bushing and tapped it for a zerk fitting. Our Gio was new in the crate.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #7

Didn't know you had a store. If I was buying new I would have a hard time not saving the $500. Can you visually compare the two for weld quality, parts quality etc.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #8

If I end up buying new I will definitely be going to both stores and check them out in person.

If I find one on Craigslist what would I look for in terms of wear and tear. If the big ones are anything like our 110 I imagine the bushings will be worn out.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #9

I would be most concerned with a bent or cracked frame. Lots of broken plastic means that it was most likely beat on. Check the rear axle for bends, worn out bearings. Worn sprockets. Leaks.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #10

If it's a Gio, the reverse mechanism is in the rear axle. Make sure that it engages forward and reverse properly, and that it doesn't make ugly noise. There's a thread that details the maintenance of the rear axle if you need it, and the tapered bearings will need to be packed with grease.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #11

ABIBABA 250 HM

Hello .. I sell this brand and they are nice... it is a 250 cc automatic electric choke. with a kick start on th eleft side... first one I seen... the bike rides nices and runs good... this is the 2012 model which s EPA ceritified... SHAHIM is my sales person there... very good to deal with and he cares ... they have the most of their parts in TORONTO ,, but they do care alot t here.. buy it and you have a nice atv... I also sell the GIOS and the TAOTAO... TAO TAO may have better warranty because they have more parts.. but I would ask SHAHIM about the warranty & what it covers since you are a walk in & not a dealer buying it.. I would buy this before I buy the GIO T3..