Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2009, 11:26 PM   #1

Riding Gear Revisited

From Top to bottom:

HJC Half Helmet with Earflaps, when it's hot out, CAN Modular full-face when it's not, or longer trips.

RayBan Wayfarers: cause if you can't see you can't ride.

Langlitz High-End Leather Jacket: Tough as nails, and super simple to keep up. No Zips, tassels or Farkles. With my shoulders armour feels like crapola.

Reimann Deer-Skin Leather Gloves: Very tough, very soft, and not overly nasty on hot days.

WorkWorld Double Bar stitched Blue Jeans: 'Cause They're comfy, and my build does *not* lend itself to chaps or racing leathers.

Doc Marten Steel Toed Ankle Boots: 75% of the time I am commuting to work, and the mandatory footwear is steel toes. Besides, do you know what size 13.5 MX Boots cost?!?!?

So yeah, not ATGATT, but not flipflops and a wife-beater either. Anyone else care to comment?

--Vince

Old 02-01-2009, 12:37 AM   #2

HJC CL-Max Flip up, full face "Bash Hat".
Ray Ban eye protection.
Joe Rocket mesh armored jacket, with waterproof lining.
Leather gloves
Jeans and long johns. I can/should and will get riding pants this year.
I got non-steeltoe boots to take my riding course 2 years ago. They are good enough to keep my feet attached my ankles if I roll.
I keep med kit on the bike as part of the tool kit.

I have gone to the top of my street for ciggies a couple times with out boots. 45kph max. But that's as far as I go without ATGATT. A helmet is the law here, but I'd wear one anyway. I don't have to wear a full face, but I do.

I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do, and don't want to preach, so I won't. For me, gear is good.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:31 AM   #3

Good call on the new thread. Sorry about the other one.

I didn't mean to sound like a "Gear Nazi" by any means. We are all adults and fairly free to do as we choose. Riding in and of itself is a risky proposition.

And while I don't intend on trying to force my opinion of gear of anyone, I refuse to encourage any other type of riding on a public forum where new riders may be lurking. I think the responsible thing to do is advise as much saftey as possible. If someone chooses to ignore the advice, that's their choice. Not a problem for me.

If I tell people it's all good to ride in jeans, however, and they return a month later showing me pics of their legs all rashed to hell, well then I'm going to feel a bit guilty.

I can live with the guilt and ignore it, but I choose to simply endorse ATGATT and maybe save someone a bit of skin. And yes, it is a wee bit of a "do as I say and not as I do" type thing, as I will ride around the block in next to nothing while warming up my bike for an oil change, or similar.

My comments in the other thread were aimed at anyone new to the sport, and probably shouldn't have been posted there in the first place. I got the impression the OP was a new rider, but he didn't ask for my opinion or say anything about jeans. :oops:

My gear:
HJC Full Face
3 Shift jackets - 1 textile, 1 mesh and 1 leather/textile mix
Tourmaster Quest textile pants / Teknic supervent mesh pants
Icon Standard boots
PowerTrip GrandNational Gloves / Cortech Scarab winter gloves
Skull Screws

I just got the earplugs. Still getting used to them. I hate having anything in my ears. :(
2005 Kawasaki EX250 - A new project

Old 02-01-2009, 02:20 AM   #4

I've got a few leather jackets, a ZoX Corsa full face helmet, a couple half helmets, and leather gloves and riding boots. I haven't got any proper riding pants as of yet...

I like to show people the story of the "road rash queen"... Warning that if you follow the links to the pictures at the end of the story it might not be safe for work...

http://www.motortopia.com/blogs/view...h_cause_effect

Old 02-01-2009, 02:49 AM   #5

Mr. South: Please don't think I was trying to chastise you regarding the Thread change, I just thought it was a good subject that the board hasn't touched on in a while, that I wanted to explore a little bit. At the same time, I didn't want to drag Dude's thread way OT... My apologies if I came off any other way.

Regardless, Most cycle gear doesn't come in what I call "freak sizes." (Me!) Hence the jeans. I figure, if I'm not comfortable in what I'm riding in, I'm going to be spending more time worrying about that, when I should be worrying about what that Arse-Nut in the Cutlass Cierra is doing, but that's just my opinion.

Also, from conversations with the local Gendarmes, they tend to be more concerned with Sportbike bike dudes in shiny new gear, than a gorilla on a cruiser... Just my 2 Francs.

--Vince

Old 02-01-2009, 04:45 AM   #6

I know you cold-climate guys are gonna call me stoooopid, but I actually wear sandals during the summer.

I wear a full face helmet, because of a friends wreck a few years ago that shredded his jaw at 10mph. But it gets monkey-balls hot down here.

I don't do much distance though. I'd suit up for anything more than 30 mins. away. But for tooling around on the beaches, ya just take it easy.

No rush, mon.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:58 AM   #7

I have some stuff left over from my Bandit 1200S. Shoei RF900, Alpinestars jacket, pants and gloves. But i usually end up using a Thor S/S Kevlar mix MX helmet, Scott goggles, Carhartt coat, winter gloves and MX boots. The warmest day so far has been 46F with the new HSUN.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:39 AM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to kmoore
ppe ummm whats that????

i have my dot approved brain bucket
cheap walmart trailrider glasses (can be used as shades or goggles)
neopreen full face mask
and harley davidson riding boots.

rest is just jeans and tshirts

**edit to add**

mostly because i cant find me chaps in fatman size

Old 02-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #9

I have and use depending on weather.

First Gear, Mesh Summer Jacket with about a 12" zipper in back to attach to riding pants, and back protector pocket for foam back pads, fixed elbow foam pads. Pros: Works pretty good, even in hot weather, and rear zipper fits most riding pants regardless of brand. Cons: it will still get a little warm during stop and go traffic, I believe it would only hold up to one slide/wreck.

First Gear, Cordora/Leather Jacket with removable winter lining, 12" zipper in back to attach to riding pants, removable foam back protector, fixed elbow and shoulder pads. Pros: Works good in weather from about 50F to 85F. Could be used in both colder and hotter weather if undergarments are added or removed. Might hold up to more then one spill. Back protector pocket is big enough to add another foam pad for added protection. Good pocket locations and good ventalation zippers. Good touring or everyday motorcycle jacket. Cons: No wet weather protection. Is not approved on most tracks.

First Gear, Cordora/Leather Pants with fixed hip and knee pads and universal 12" rear jacket zipper attachment.
Pros: Good protection, double codora in the seat of the pants. Fairly comfortable in weather from 50F to 85F same deal as top weather can be colder or hotter depending on undergarments. Cons: Knee pad stitching digs into skin if your not wearing long johns. No Pockets. No ventalation. No wet weather protection. No velcro knee puck attatchment points. Not approved on most tracks. Not good for the tracks, yet not comfortable enough for touring or everyday riding.

Joe Rocket non-Gauntlet riding gloves. Pros: comfy, comfy, comfy. Knuckle protection, good dexterity. Cons: probably would could only handle one good spill. Not approved on most tracks.

Alpinestar GP-1 gloves. Pros: Top of the line Gauntlet style protection, approved for tracks. Cons: Stiff and uncomfortable for everyday riding.
Dexterity is slightly sacrificed for protection.

Icon Mainframe Halo Helmet. Pros: Good Ventalation, comfortable, good visability. Does not buffet even at speeds above 150mph. Cons: a little heavy.

HJC Full face Flip Helmet. Pros: Like to be able to flip the front up with fueling up, etc. Good Ventalation, No wind noise, does not buffet even deep into triple digit speeds. Cons: Can not be used on most tracks.

El Cheapo open faced helmet Fonzie style helmet. Pros: Cheap, don't have to worry about people stealing it, good in hot weather, great visability, comfy. Cons: You won't be picking up hot chicks, must use glasses or scott's type shield, removable plastic sunvisor rattles unless removed, not good in cold weather.

Komoto Back protector. Pros: Approved on tracks and comfortable enough for regular riding with or without a jacket on top. Heavy duty vertabre style backprotection. Cons: a little warm around the belly strap, doesn't fit under some two piece riding suits, a little bulky.

Diadora riding boots. Pros: Very comfortable both on and off the bike, One zipper and one velcro attactment means easy off and on. If you removed the toe slider it would be stylish enough for when your off the bike. Good protection with toe sliders and ankle pads. Cons: Ugly, fixed toe slider. Accepted on tracks but is the minimum protection you want on a track.

Demidesign under helmet cold weather stocking. Pros: Keeps head warm even down to 25F under a full face helmet but you will need a little more neck protection at those temps. Fits easily under a full face helmet. Does not bunch up. Good neck protection for tempatures down to 35F
Cons: The lower face part stretches after a season or two so the nose won't have the same protection when the stocking gets older.

Nelson Riggs mini tank bag and mini saddlebags. Pros: Solid contruction, good rain bags, big enough for one or two days worth of clothes and stuff.
Cons: Black fabric started to fade after about two seasons.

That's just some of the gear I've used and my experiences. Frankly I like riding with a good set of jeans, mesh or cordora jacket (I stuff two foam back protecters into whatever jacket I'm useing), joe rocket gloves and my work boots. I use a full face helmet most of the time, except for desert riding, and going up to walmart etc. I seldom use the pants, and I seldom use the Gauntlet style gloves. I used to own a two piece full leather track suit but I only used it on the track.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:20 PM   #10

Full face helmet
Leather jackets
leather gloves
leather boots
Double knee Carhart jeans
Carhart coveralls for cold days
AK-74 :wink: Yup 223 cal. (my deer rifle)
and carrying rain gear is mandatory here in the rain forest!

Old 02-01-2009, 08:26 PM   #11

Re: Riding Gear Revisited

I think your election of gear is just great.... as long as you don't wreck!
Seriously, it's your choice, but what you have listed isn't going to offer much in the way of protection WHEN you go down.

I could write a book about it. But WHEN you find yourself doing 50mph down the road without a bike, you'll figure it out.
The half helmet? You might as well not wear a lid.
But, it is your choice.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44379

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceDrake
From Top to bottom:

HJC Half Helmet with Earflaps, when it's hot out, CAN Modular full-face when it's not, or longer trips.

RayBan Wayfarers: cause if you can't see you can't ride.

Langlitz High-End Leather Jacket: Tough as nails, and super simple to keep up. No Zips, tassels or Farkles. With my shoulders armour feels like crapola.

Reimann Deer-Skin Leather Gloves: Very tough, very soft, and not overly nasty on hot days.

WorkWorld Double Bar stitched Blue Jeans: 'Cause They're comfy, and my build does *not* lend itself to chaps or racing leathers.

Doc Marten Steel Toed Ankle Boots: 75% of the time I am commuting to work, and the mandatory footwear is steel toes. Besides, do you know what size 13.5 MX Boots cost?!?!?

So yeah, not ATGATT, but not flipflops and a wife-beater either. Anyone else care to comment?

--Vince

Old 02-01-2009, 10:57 PM   #12

i got jeans shirt and a helmet...broke cant get any gears >_< anyone wanna send me gear?? lol

Old 02-03-2009, 09:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceDrake
Mr. South: Please don't think I was trying to chastise you regarding the Thread change, I just thought it was a good subject that the board hasn't touched on in a while, that I wanted to explore a little bit. At the same time, I didn't want to drag Dude's thread way OT... My apologies if I came off any other way.

--Vince
Shoot. I meant to reply sooner. Kind of forgot that I hadn't.
Anywho, no appolgies needed.
I wasn't bothered by your post at all, aside from my own regret for having injected that bit into the other thread.
Your post was right on target, and I don't mind admitting my mistake...even if it wasn't the intention of your post.
It is what it is, and I was wrong.

I'm also glad that you started this thread to discuss the subject at hand. It won't be long before a lot of riders (both new and old alike) are gearing up for the season, so it's good to have this discussion.

For myself, I couldn't (and still can't) afford the really high quality gear, so I started with just basic everything. I place gear into 3 categories - cheap, middle of the road, and top of the line.

Everything I got to start with was cheap. My Icon boots were on clearance for $40. The Quest pants were also on clearance for $60. My first gloves were $20 "shorties".

As time went by I kept an eye on prices and started upgrading. First I went to the mesh because of the summer heat. Then I got better gloves. The leather/textile jacket went on sale so I grabbed that as well.

Now I have several options, depending on the weather....and I feel more pretected with each new bit. Next on my list is a better helmet, better boots and another pair of riding pants (leather/textile mix Shift "Havoc" pants).

There's no need to spend a ton of money at once. Get something...and then upgrade later as money permits.

eagle150, there's usually some good deals on Craig's for gear...just be careful not to buy something that's already saved somone else's hyde but isn't capable of saving yours. And I wouldn't buy a used helmet, myself...but I'm sure some are perfectly fine. Another good source is forums like these. My local forum almost always has used gear for sale. Hope that helps.
2005 Kawasaki EX250 - A new project

Old 02-03-2009, 09:53 AM   #14

My butt doens't look good in those racing leathers either. 8O

Old 02-03-2009, 10:41 AM   #15

My neighbor wears his leather/armored pants every time he rides. I used to watch him heading out before I got my chinabike, 10am sundays, fully kitted up on his VFR. I thought, I can see wearing a helmet, but pants are stupid. I got my 150cc and when going 65mph I started feeling like a test pilot without a partchute.

I looked into high speed wipeouts, and found out that riders who weren't run over by cars were surviving a tumbles at 60-70-80mph. Not all lived, but it wasn't always a death sentence. A full face helmet can save a life, and that is good. 24% of face plants are just that, landing on the face, mainly the chin.

What sold me on ATGATT (All The Gear, All The Time) was a study on riding gear and the recovery time after an accident. The number of skin grafts, and hours of physio, in relation to the type of gear a rider was wearing. I don't fear death, on a bike or in a bath tub. But if I can cut my hospital time down 80% after a survivable tumble, that concerns me a lot. I hate hospitals.

I was in the hospital for road rash when I was young. 45mph, downhill on a ten speed when the chain torqed off the sprocket, and I was flying through the air with no shirt, or helmet, and jeans with ripped knees.

3rd degree burn to 60% of my back with inbedded pebbles. I again stress that I don't want to sound preachy. You are all old enough to make your own judgements. I just wanted to let people know why I wear gear, and I agree that some is better than none. If you're not rich, gear is expensive, as SpeedSouth said, upgrade over time.

If I see a rider in flipflops and T-shirt I don't care. But now when I see a guy wearing nice gear I don't think it's overkill, I think "That guy is serious business".