Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2022, 04:47 PM   #1

Project Bike

Hello Riders,

I'm new to the forum but not a new rider, I have two motorcycles a K2 GSXR1000 and a 2021 KPR200. Bought the KPR as a "beeter" until my GSXR1000 engine is complete. I would like to spread a little knowledge and experience for those that would like to ride and also talk about my project bike.

The KPR200, it's a neat little bike but has pros and cons like any other bike. I have performed a few mods on it and lately I have been working on installing a VZ21 turbo charger on it. The pipes have been welded, blow off valve and intercooler ready to go. I figure I should be able to get at least 15 pounds of boost in which would yield the bikes top speed @ somewhere around 115-125 mph on burst. I also changed the sprocket setup to 16/37 rear (yes down 11 LOL!). In rides ok but now 5th and 6th gear lag as I thought it would however, once the turbo charger is complete I should be good to go.

The reason I wanted to do this project is because I thought it would be fun and because my GSXR1000 motor needed rebuilding, I wanted something to ride without too much expense considering I already spent a little over $4,000 on the GSXR, so I put it in the shop a few months ago and had the engine rebuilt bottom up.

I wish Lifan had put at least a 250cc in the bike with 25hp, the reason I am saying that is because 17hp @75mph top speed is just way too slow.I was able to hit 88mph on it a few times though. Anyone that wants a motorcycle should not consider buying a KPR200 UNLESS! you plan on riding alone allot OR meeting everyone at your destination, there's allot of riders that ride 600's an they will smoke you, you just cannot keep up ( not to say that you should be speeding everywhere) but most riders cruise at 80-90mph, that's putting allot of strain on the KPR200, it cannot handle it.

I'll keep everyone posted on the process once I complete it. Ride safe!

Old 03-26-2022, 05:13 PM   #2

Most of us started off on Chinese dual-sports, and getting them past 60 MPH was the goal (we're talking 15+ years ago on Chinariders, lol).

While the 200cc engine is underwhelming, it is leaps and bounds superior to many years of Chinese bikes. Liquid-cooled, fuel-injected, 6-speeds. Reliable. I do wish that Lifan had tried to copy the Honda XL250L and put that engine in a dual-sport and they would have killed 2 birds with one stone--a really interesting Chinese dual-sport AND California legal, to boot as their X-Pect 200 dual-sport and upcoming KPR 250 are not CARB certified, meaning Californians need not apply as far as dual-sporting on a Lifan goes.

Keep in mind that in some writings, Lifan has described their current lineup as 'minimalist' which might be the goal of some people, but certainly it means it is 'just adequate' to others. But the KP series of bikes is leaps and bounds ahead of where Chinese motorcycles used to be as far as the mid-2000s street bikes from all manufacturers are concerned.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-26-2022, 11:13 PM   #3

Says a lot about the KP200 that a Gixer1000 owner can have fun on it.
Maybe we will see a Lifan middle weight twin soon.

Old 03-28-2022, 10:49 PM   #4

pics or I call BS lololol

Old 04-16-2022, 12:51 PM   #5

I'm upgrading the motor on my Lifan 150-2e to a Zongshen 250cc motor the 165FMM. I'm curious to see the pictures of you turbo setup. The compression is low enough on these motors to run some boost.