Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2016, 01:59 PM   #1

Very New Rider needs some help

I have been looking at getting the RPS Hawk 250 because its perfectly within my budget and street legal (which is where i intend to be doing A LOT of my riding). I have been on bikes and 4 wheelers before but never anything with a clutch. so this bike seems great to start out on and practice with. my issue is, i heard the bike comes mostly assembled but still needs some bolts put on, the tires, & the handle bars and i have, also, heard it doesnt come with instructions... Being a new rider, I dont know a damn thing about bikes and its keeping me from purchasing it as i dont think i can properly/safely put it together. Can anybody shed some light on this for me?

Also if anybody knows anything about getting the bike registered in OHIO that would be great too. Or if anybody knows what the best website to order it from is or how i can go about finding a dealer locally, would all be great info to share.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:16 PM   #2

For a relatively small fee some online retailers will assemble the bike and then ship it to you. Try to find and purchase pre assembled. It will cost you a little more but sounds like it may be the way to go for you.

/

Old 05-21-2016, 02:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
For a relatively small fee some online retailers will assemble the bike and then ship it to you. Try to find and purchase pre assembled. It will cost you a little more but sounds like it may be the way to go for you.

/
Yea i saw someone talking about that but i couldnt find anything on having it assembled by the websites i was looking on e.g. 360powerports, killermotorsports, q9powersports. i wouldnt mind paying the extra but i have no idea how to get it sent assembled

Old 05-21-2016, 04:20 PM   #4

One of our members works for the USA distributor Ricky Power Sports. He may have an answer for you when he sees this thread.

/

Old 05-21-2016, 05:11 PM   #5

If shipping it assembled doesn't pan out you could probably have it shipped to a local shop and have it assembled. Registration shouldn't be an issue. If the seller can't do it for some reason just take a trip to your motor vehicle department and it'll be handled, or maybe AAA if you're a member.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by '16 TT250 View Post
If shipping it assembled doesn't pan out you could probably have it shipped to a local shop and have it assembled. Registration shouldn't be an issue. If the seller can't do it for some reason just take a trip to your motor vehicle department and it'll be handled, or maybe AAA if you're a member.
Good answer

Or just buy a tt250, problem solved.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Last edited by BlackBike; 05-21-2016 at 08:14 PM.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by '16 TT250 View Post

ya one of my main issues is i dont know of any bike shops around here. which is why im ordering one online. id rather go to a shop and look at what im buying first but i dont really have any other option. and if i did send it to a shop i also dont really have a way to get it home.

but looking into it more, the assembly could possibly be something i could handle. ive worked on cars and stuff but i just dont know shit about bikes. like, i was reading about the chain tension and free play of the clutch (these things i had never heard of before looking into buying a bike) and im not sure i can accurately gauge what those should be at or even know if something is wrong with the bike

Old 05-21-2016, 08:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickThrash View Post
ya one of my main issues is i dont know of any bike shops around here. which is why im ordering one online. id rather go to a shop and look at what im buying first but i dont really have any other option. and if i did send it to a shop i also dont really have a way to get it home.

but looking into it more, the assembly could possibly be something i could handle. ive worked on cars and stuff but i just dont know shit about bikes. like, i was reading about the chain tension and free play of the clutch (these things i had never heard of before looking into buying a bike) and im not sure i can accurately gauge what those should be at or even know if something is wrong with the bike
You worked on cars sooo... what more do you need to know. Righty tighty, lefty loosey. I wouldn't worry about it. If you get stuck, there are probably a least 6 people on this site, it seems, 24 hours a day, that can confidently answer your question. Just post it! The site really is an amazing crowd sourced super computer.

Jeez, spud has walked kids through complete electrical wiring systems from this forum alone.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 05-21-2016, 09:04 PM   #9

Welcome! Mail ordering any bike will have you going to your local motor vehicles' office to register it in person. Some states make you take it in for an inspection, although others have you calling the local sheriff or police department to do the inspection. It will take some leg work, and more than likely, you will have to pay tax on the bike since out of state sellers don't collect tax for your state.

The TGB scooter distributors for the US, Excalibur Motorsports, recently went to Ricky Power Sports' west coast warehouse and obtained a Hawk to send to one of their dealers. Excalibur will sell these retail, and when they used to carry a similar enduro a couple years back, they assembled, PDI'd and tested the bikes if they sold one direct and not through one of their dealers, and shipped it that way, ready to ride. I am friends with the owner and the manager, and I would suggest to call them and see if they would be willing to assemble the Hawk for you, which will cost extra, but will be done and ready to ride. I don't know if they will do this or not, since they now concentrate on TGB, but call them and tell them 'Simon' sent you.

909-591-8800

www.atv4usa.com

Be aware, their site is not very retail friendly and, quite frankly, is out of date, but I put them in touch with RPS, and since they are a motorsports distributor, are able to obtain them. You will always get a live voice when you call them, so call them and start there. Check to see if they will assemble the bike for you, and if not, get their price and compare prices to other retailers.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-21-2016, 11:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickThrash View Post

If you do some digging on here there's a link to a fairly good video on set-up ....

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 05-21-2016, 11:20 PM   #11

Found it .....

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 05-21-2016, 11:25 PM   #12

Found it almost at the same time I see (edited to remove a second video )

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:29 PM   #13

Azhule... I watched it again about a week ago simply because I enjoyed it!

― Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-21-2016, 11:56 PM   #14

Superior Powersports sells Storms assembled:

http://http://www.superiorpowersports.com/Motorcycle_s/136.htm

They call it their "Ready to ride" service for $129. And, no I don't work for them. I am considering getting a Storm from them myself.

2016 CSC TT250

Old 05-22-2016, 02:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
Good answer

Or just buy a tt250, problem solved.
Good option.

Tags
new rider, rps hwk 250