Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2015, 04:01 PM   #31

Woodland, sorry if this sounds elementary, buy how old is your socket? Would it help if you invested in a new six point socket? It might provide a better grip and be less likely to pop off. A few bucks for a new tool might save time and further problems.

My oil stainer plugs took a solid push using a breaker bar and an extension. I probably used my 1/2 inch breaker bar, which is a lot easier to hold steady even if you don't need that much additional torque.

Obviously you want to apply force squarely and avoid further "pop offs," since you may be rounding the corners off the fitting. Good luck!

Old 08-02-2015, 04:14 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandsprite View Post
GAH!
hit 200 mi today and have been stuck in the garage trying to do my first oil change.
Took the bash plate off to facilitate access...

the 17mm bolts for the oil screens are lodged to the point where nothing I've tried will get them off - it doesnt help that I have to use an extender to access them, so the socket keeps popping off when I try to really apply force.

Is there some trickery to this?

Also my oil was filthy :( glad I'm changing it at 200mi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
Woodland, sorry if this sounds elementary, buy how old is your socket? Would it help if you invested in a new six point socket? It might provide a better grip and be less likely to pop off. A few bucks for a new tool might save time and further problems.

My oil stainer plugs took a solid push using a breaker bar and an extension. I probably used my 1/2 inch breaker bar, which is a lot easier to hold steady even if you don't need that much additional torque.

Obviously you want to apply force squarely and avoid further "pop offs," since you may be rounding the corners off the fitting. Good luck!
X2 on everything NoVa Rider stated.

A good 17mm socket is a good investment, as is a breaker bar.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-d...bar-60819.html

Once you break the strainer nuts free, you won't have a problem with them in the future. You definitely don't need to tighten them as much as they do at the factory.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-02-2015, 06:58 PM   #33

Thanks NoVa Rider & Spud - Socket was new when it touched the bike - the problem was due to the location and the need to use an extender any time I applied torque, the socket would go kindof cockeyed and would pop off - its safe to say the very top edges of the bolt in some places are more rounded than they were :(

Eventually got the suckers loose by tipping the bike over onto its side by propping it on its crash bars on top of some bags of cat litter. Unfortunately when I pulled the first strainer, the oil pan was not in place and it made a hell of a mess on the garage floor. *sigh* I was not anticipating quite that much oil to still be inside after having drained it through the drain plug and the oil filter housing.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:44 PM   #34

Don't worry; you will do a cleaner job next time.

Indeed, the engine holds a surprisingly large amount of oil, which is very good. Removing the drain plug probably drains the 'gearbox' oil reservoir, which houses the oil sight glass. Removing the oil strainer bolt on the left side of the engine drains the oil sump in the bottom of the crankcase. Removing the oil strainer bolt on the right side of the engine probably drains the oil which feeds from the 'gearbox' oil reservoir to the oil filter, and/or the oil which was being sent to the crankshaft and the cylinder head. It is very good for such a small, water cooled engine to contain 1.7 quarts of motor oil.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-02-2015, 11:49 PM   #35

Sprite, experience is the best teacher and this is a great bike to learn on. Not too much electronics and a dealer and support group that loves to help. Besides, it's not a real garage until you spill some oil on the slab.

2016 CanAm Spyder F3-L

Old 08-03-2015, 10:20 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRider View Post
Besides, it's not a real garage until you spill some oil on the slab.
Agree completely Good Job Sprite! Glad to see you're getting into the "Self Maintenance" with your RX-3
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 08-03-2015, 11:02 AM   #37

I wasn't too worried about the oil change - I'm significantly more concerned about the 500 mile valve check - the idea of plucking the gas tank off and moving radiators about....

It'll get done one way or another, but I have a feeling it's going to be another sweltering experience in the garage even with fans going!

back to the oil change bit - I filled the tank with dino oil (the stuff CSC sells) - and I have 8 oz left from the 2 qts I bought - It seems people switch over to synthetic or a syn blend - OR switch to whatever oil they prefer in their bikes. Is it worth keeping that 8 ounces around if I intend to switch to a different oil? (I haven't decided yet - and it seems the weights on the bottle don't necessarily really mean that one 10w40 oil will be an exact match for another with the same weight so mixing is likely not advised)

Old 08-03-2015, 11:36 AM   #38

I'd keep it in case you need to top it off before the next oil change.
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 08-03-2015, 12:01 PM   #39

Indeed, you should always have some motor oil available to top off the oil level. Also, You can certainly use your remaining oil by adding an ounce or two to whatever oil you finally choose, every subsequent oil change. It's the same as topping off your oil level while traveling; it won't hurt anything.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-10-2015, 09:09 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandsprite View Post
Unfortunately when I pulled the first strainer, the oil pan was not in place and it made a hell of a mess on the garage floor.
At the very least, you had cat litter handy to clean up the oil. It does an amazing job.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-11-2015, 12:24 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
At the very least, you had cat litter handy to clean up the oil. It does an amazing job.
I had heard that before, but did not think to open a bag and use it for that purpose :P hopefully next time it won't be necessary!

Old 08-12-2015, 01:21 PM   #42

With me, it's always necessary. I can't complete an oil change in anything without spilling at least a little oil. I always have cat litter at the ready.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-12-2015, 02:47 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
With me, it's always necessary. I can't complete an oil change in anything without spilling at least a little oil. I always have cat litter at the ready.

I've found sawdust works super good, so I save it when I have a project that requires wood cutting....
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 04-22-2016, 10:40 PM   #44

$5 rebate with purchase of a one-gallon jug of Mobil Delvac 1300 Super or Mobil Delvac Elite heavy-duty diesel engine oil
Offer valid until May 31, 2016. Receipt required. Not all products available at all locations. Certain restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details. Check the list of participating locations.
https://apfco.net/secure/R8236W/Home/Intro

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 04-22-2016, 11:31 PM   #45

1 gallon bottle of Shell ROTELLA® T5 Synthetic Blend heavy duty engine oil OR Shell ROTELLA® T6 Full Synthetic heavy duty engine oil and earn $5 per gallon .....

http://rotella.shell.com/promotions/...cxNi9PMTE2MC8=

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song