Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2016, 02:34 PM   #1

Route to visit all National Historic Sites.

http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/tsp/us/tour.html

217K miles. Spud could break in a new Zong.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:05 AM   #2

Amazing! I also found it interesting that the website is from the University of Waterloo in Ontario, Canada.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-15-2016, 09:00 AM   #3

There is a few within 15 miles of me that I did not know about. They are out on the gravel roads.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:01 PM   #4

I spotted a few across the border that are just a few miles from me. In the far NW, you'll see a reference to the historic Plover ferry, which my kids and I got to ride during a 4th of July celebration a few years ago.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-15-2016, 08:28 PM   #5

That's awesome. I'd like to do this in a small camper van and just live on the road. I'd haul a moto or two along with me. Probably my CB500X and a TW200.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:08 PM   #6

Several bunched up in downtown Yuma (older, historic part of town). I noticed that a friend of my wife lives in one of the historic places listed, and owns and runs a coffee shop in another. I wonder if she even knows it?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 12-16-2016, 05:44 PM   #7

I have a bucket list thing to see the few national Parks I've not been to yet but there are a LOT of historic sites.

I'd also like to see more of Canada's national Park system, including another visit to Jasper.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:28 PM   #8

Very cool. I only found a few in my town on the map, but thought there were more.
I showed my wife and she said she was ready to try and make the route.
Two summers ago, we took the kids on a 6300mi, 16 day road trip from Central FL to the Grand Canyon. My wife planned out the route and included stuff like the world's largest fire hydrant, world's largest office chair, and other stupid stuff that made it entertaining. It was a great trip but we were exhausted after 6300 mi, I couldn't imagine how long it would take to make it 217,000 mi.

Old 12-17-2016, 12:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
Very cool. I only found a few in my town on the map, but thought there were more.
I showed my wife and she said she was ready to try and make the route.
Two summers ago, we took the kids on a 6300mi, 16 day road trip from Central FL to the Grand Canyon. My wife planned out the route and included stuff like the world's largest fire hydrant, world's largest office chair, and other stupid stuff that made it entertaining. It was a great trip but we were exhausted after 6300 mi, I couldn't imagine how long it would take to make it 217,000 mi.
We've been to some amazing places with our kids, but we all agree that the road trips have been the best. Near the top was our trip to Yellowstone, and during the trip we also visited Lewis and Clark Caverns and Craters of the Moon. Awesome adventure!

Our trip to Grand Canyon was epic! I lack the words to describe it. One evening, we decided to find a scenic spot to watch the sunset. At the very moment the sun disappeared over the horizon, the crowd burst into applause. It was a terrific opportunity to appreciate creation.

Old 12-17-2016, 03:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
We've been to some amazing places with our kids, but we all agree that the road trips have been the best. Near the top was our trip to Yellowstone, and during the trip we also visited Lewis and Clark Caverns and Craters of the Moon. Awesome adventure!

Our trip to Grand Canyon was epic! I lack the words to describe it. One evening, we decided to find a scenic spot to watch the sunset. At the very moment the sun disappeared over the horizon, the crowd burst into applause. It was a terrific opportunity to appreciate creation.
Grand Canyon was amazing! We got there one day around sunset also. There were a ton of people there, but everyone was so silent watching the sunset. It added to the vastness of the place.
That night the park had an event where they turned off all of the lights at the visitor's center and parking lot and had about 75 astronomers out with their telescopes. They had stations set up and you just walked from one to another as they explained what you were looking at. It was SO dark out there that you were able to see tons of stars, planets, and even the milky way.
The kids still look up at the sky and talk about wanting to go back.

Old 12-18-2016, 05:01 PM   #11

This past spring break we follow some of route 66 thru Oklahoma and Texas. We made Amarillo and had to turn around. At Amarillo we went North and and just started taking backroads. Back to Oklahoma and then to Dodge City and back home. This year we have the camper.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:24 AM   #12

Off-topic, but related to the Grand Canyon--anyone who has this on their list of places to see, must also see Canyon de Chelly (#12567 on the list) a few hours east of the Grand Canyon. When I lived and worked on the Navajo reservation, we were about 45 minutes away from Canyon de Chelly (Chelly is pronounced 'shay'). I had never been to the Grand Canyon up to the point of about a year and a half after moving to Navajo country. But I had been to Canyon de Chelly several time since it was so close. When I finally got the opportunity to see the Grand Canyon--I felt a little let down! LOL. Canyon de Chelly is not as deep or wide as the Grand Canyon, but far more intimate and peaceful. And, that was from seeing it from the several overlooks--I never did take a tour into the canyon itself. The other thing is that Canyon de Chelly is free vs. whatever the US Parks Service charges nowadays for the Grand Canyon. It was $20 back then, and I kind of wanted my money back, LOL

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 12-20-2016, 12:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Off-topic, but related to the Grand Canyon--anyone who has this on their list of places to see, must also see Canyon de Chelly (#12567 on the list) a few hours east of the Grand Canyon. When I lived and worked on the Navajo reservation, we were about 45 minutes away from Canyon de Chelly (Chelly is pronounced 'shay'). I had never been to the Grand Canyon up to the point of about a year and a half after moving to Navajo country. But I had been to Canyon de Chelly several time since it was so close. When I finally got the opportunity to see the Grand Canyon--I felt a little let down! LOL. Canyon de Chelly is not as deep or wide as the Grand Canyon, but far more intimate and peaceful. And, that was from seeing it from the several overlooks--I never did take a tour into the canyon itself. The other thing is that Canyon de Chelly is free vs. whatever the US Parks Service charges nowadays for the Grand Canyon. It was $20 back then, and I kind of wanted my money back, LOL
Spoken like a true local
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~