Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2018, 11:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
Cant leave home without a spare master libk for the chain.... i learned that one the hard way....
good one! me too!

Old 11-05-2018, 10:31 AM   #17

Since we don't really ride that far anymore, I just bring my hat and some beer tokens to our local store. Anymore, a big day out for us is 100 miles around our area.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 11-05-2018, 12:13 PM   #18

Thanks a lot friends, I think there is a nice list made.
Even though you dont travel far, I do believe some of the items listed can be a good thing to carry everyday.
I will travel to the US end of December ( Las Vegas to be specific ) and will try to get some of the things and prepare a survival bag to keep on my pannier, keep you all posted once is done.

Old 11-05-2018, 12:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Working_ZS View Post
My list:

1. Flashlight - A large DeWalt LED worklight with a 6 AH lithium battery. It puts out a ton of light for up to 15+ hours if needed. It has a hook for hanging and can stand flat on its own. It can double as headlight if need be. See it here (you have to supply the battery; smaller AH batteries are available if you don't need it to run as long as me):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SKOCRCW/ref=sxts_kp_bs_tr_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p= 8778bc68-27e7-403f-8460-de48b6e788fb&pd_rd_wg=pV9az&pf_rd_r=23SS0JCXEFVRKE 2W3ZVF&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-top-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B00SKOCRCW&pd_rd_w=HGwyw& pf_rd_i=dewalt+led+light&pd_rd_r=b1c7e2bc-a90e-4f51-bb68-c71586175f5f&ie=UTF8&qid=1541028279&sr=1

Good quality light with head straps. These days, LED is the best way to go. Wherever you look, there light shall be. I have 2, one can provide a broad light pattern to light a work area, just set it on the ground or use a strap to hang it from a tree branch or the bike.

Really, when was the last time you needed a headlight?

2. Nitrile gloves - To keep the hands clean. Toss them when I'm done.

Good idea! I'll have my son pick some up for me.

3. WD40 - Lubes the chain and can drive water off of ignition components. Cleans the tools and helps prevent them from rusting.

SeaFoam. Lots better than WD40, especially if exposed to a salty environment. Not cheap.

4. Custom socket kit - Contains assortment of bits to fit the fasteners on the bike, allen, hex head, etc. Uses a 3/8" ratchet with an adapter for the smaller 1/4" drive sockets. Includes a 2" and 6" 1/4" drive extension.
Same. No sense toting sockets that don't fit anything. I have a magnetized 6-point for screwdriver bits, too. Working_ZS is right about not carrying extra screwdriver handles--adds weight fast. I don't carry any screwdrivers or handles.

5. Adjustable wrench x2 - They're any size that I need them to be.

1 adjustable. Box wrenches that fit. Cut the ends off that don't fit, weld the remains together.

6. Tire Irons x2 , Bead Buddy & Spare Front Tube - Flat repairs, tube will fit front or rear in a pinch.

Works on bikes with front and rear tires about same size. Seen many stranded over the years due to tube failures trying to make the wrong size stretch to far.

7. ZIP Ties - Good name brand, UV resistant and releasable so they don't need to be cut.

YES! Hard to find these days. Most these days you can break with a good tug. Not good.

8. Wire Cutters/Stripers - For Electrical Repairs.
Good multitool takes care of that and more. Not cheap. Not at Walmart, either.

9. Needle Nose Vice Grips - Can get into tighter places than regular nosed versions.

Multitool.

10. Multi-meter & Electrical Tape & Connectors - For electrical diagnostics and repair. For tape, use 3M Scotch Super 88 high temp tape. It's the good stuff.

Meter is too bulky and heavy. I use a test light with a battery box if I need a continuity test. 3M is good.

11. Screwdriver Bit Set - Less space versus individual screwdrivers.

See above, no handles.

12. Hammer - Persuades stuff back into shape, or for when nothing else works.

No.

13. First Aid Kit - For when the hammer malfunctions.

Most first aid functions can be taken care of with duct tape and a tire tool.

14. Spare Levers & Cables - Easier than jury-rigging and I've got the room.

Spare cables already routed, lubed, ends sealed with duct tape.

15. Small Spray Bottle with Soapy Water - Aids tire repairs and cleans windscreen, helmet visor and headlight.

Yes.

16. Microfiber Towels & Paper Towels - First one is for stuff I do not want to scratch and the second is disposable, for greasy or grimy stuff.

YES!

17 ROK Straps - Better than bungee cords.

YES! I am very picky. No slide adjustment, old fashioned winches aren't pretty, but they don't slip. Be sure hooks are at least 180 degrees. Many cheap straps, hook does not go arount far enough considering the shank bend. I have some with spring loaded safety latches on hooks. Hard to find.

Fact is, when invited to ride in a group, especially an adventure tour type ride, first things I look at are tire treads and luggage retention. Those are about 80% of problems right there. Tire treads: can never be too aggressive off pavement, but not aggressive enough will dump you in a heart beat. 12 times in 1 day. Most aggressive treads still work on pavement, NOT the other way. Luggage retention: stopping to pick up same rider's luggage 12 times in 1 day gets old. Considering someone would trust cheap straps, wonder what kind of investment he was willing to make with the rest of the bike. Those 2 reasons alone are why I will not group ride with about 95% of invites. Back in the olden days, 6 of us regularly rode together, bikes ranging from a TW200 to a 650GS, and only 1 KLR. Lots of independent thinkers. The only breakdowns we ever had were that 7th rider, whomever he or she might have been. Maybe I should write a book about what makes a difference?