Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2017, 10:55 PM   #31

The plot thickens!

After reading your comments about differences between my bike and the US ones I did a bit of reading...... and discovered my bike has a 15 inch back wheel which along with the exposed oxygen sensor and the light switch and no accessory socket makes it a Chinese spec ie. direct from the factory, bike. It seems it may be a good thing it came with two sets of tyres?

I don't suppose it's an issue really, it's not like there's another Zongshen in the country to swap spares with anyway!

There was a lot written about wheel sizes when the bikes were launched. Was the issue only about getting tyres or another problem I missed? I'm very happy with how the bike goes and handles and would replace the tyres with stock ones happily.

Clocked up my first thousand kilometres on the way home yesterday

Old 03-29-2017, 03:22 PM   #32

What????

Disaster this morning.
Got all kitted up, went out to the bike, jumped athletically into the saddle, pushed the bike out from under cover, switched it on, waited for the fuel pump to stop, pressed the starter button, and then it all went lumpy!

The bike sort of started, and died twice, then almost pretended to try to start and then nothing but slower and slower cranking until the battery died.

I think it was flooded as I could smell unburned petrol. I had to get all the gear off, find the car keys - It hasn't been used in the last 2 weeks, and then drive to work. My glorious ride to work stuffed!

Has this happened to anyone else or am I losing all my skills already?

Old 03-29-2017, 03:42 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroenjunkie View Post
Disaster this morning.
Got all kitted up, went out to the bike, jumped athletically into the saddle, pushed the bike out from under cover, switched it on, waited for the fuel pump to stop, pressed the starter button, and then it all went lumpy!

The bike sort of started, and died twice, then almost pretended to try to start and then nothing but slower and slower cranking until the battery died.

I think it was flooded as I could smell unburned petrol. I had to get all the gear off, find the car keys - It hasn't been used in the last 2 weeks, and then drive to work. My glorious ride to work stuffed!

Has this happened to anyone else or am I losing all my skills already?
My first suggestion would be to clean and tighten your battery terminals. They have a tendency to come loose and cause weird symptoms. Check the battery voltage and hook up to a charger also, if need be, since it got cranked down low.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 03-29-2017, 09:00 PM   #34

Both ends.

To piggyback on 2lz's suggestion, also check the other end of each battery cable. On the negative cable check where it attaches to the engine, on the positive check the connection at the starter solenoid (under the seat).

Old 03-30-2017, 01:59 AM   #35

Phew!

I got home, checked the terminals, they were ok, checked all the other connections, also OK.

Tried again, almost start then just slow cranking.

The battery was clearly flat, next move a jump start, cue trusty car 🚗, connect the battery and instant action

Clouds of smoke clearly indicated the fact that I'd seriously flooded the engine this morning, but smoke and slightly rough running aside we were very much up and running again, absolutely no doubt. Once the smoke cleared (seconds) and we'd warmed up we were back to happy burbly Zongie perfection!

The verdict is clear, a new battery is indicated. If 1086km in 17 days can't keep the battery charged, we need a replacement.

Thank you for the quick response and clear guidance gentlemen. Sequestered as 'we' are in the southern colonies it's great to feel part of a team

Old 03-30-2017, 10:45 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroenjunkie View Post
I got home, checked the terminals, they were ok, checked all the other connections, also OK.

Tried again, almost start then just slow cranking.

The battery was clearly flat, next move a jump start, cue trusty car 🚗, connect the battery and instant action

Clouds of smoke clearly indicated the fact that I'd seriously flooded the engine this morning, but smoke and slightly rough running aside we were very much up and running again, absolutely no doubt. Once the smoke cleared (seconds) and we'd warmed up we were back to happy burbly Zongie perfection!

The verdict is clear, a new battery is indicated. If 1086km in 17 days can't keep the battery charged, we need a replacement.

Thank you for the quick response and clear guidance gentlemen. Sequestered as 'we' are in the southern colonies it's great to feel part of a team
So I guess if this becomes an issue, a battery maintainer is in order. Of course, like all vehicles, frequent use keeps it in good condition.

Hope it continues ok
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 03-30-2017, 11:21 PM   #37

If you own a volt meter, I suggest before you spend money on a battery that you take a few readings.

After shutting off the engine from your last ride of the day, read the voltage. Then first thing in the morning read it again. There is slight power draw from the computer but the battery should still hold over 12.5 volts over night. If not, then spring for the new box of smoke.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:30 PM   #38

Flat again

Went out all kitted up this morning, and had to jump start Zongie again.

I'm going to get a battery. The only problem is finding one the right size and capacity.

I can get 8ah batteries which will fit in the box but have yet to find an 11 ah with the right size casing.

How important is the amp hour rating? I know the more amp hours the 'bigger and longer' the battery will be. This aside will a lower capacity battery simply die more quickly or will the system be damaged due to insufficient current supply?

I'm pretty sure I can get a lithium battery which will fit, but they are hideously expensive !

Old 04-01-2017, 09:30 AM   #39

Hi, my battery was damaged too and meanwhile I managed to put a 10Ah that was bigger and I had to put the battery with difficulty, the battery was working normal without any problem.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:13 AM   #40

As I recall, the first shipment of RX3s to the USA had a number of battery failures.

As a result, CSC, the US distributor specified an upgraded battery for following shipments.

When I received my RX3, the first thing I did was to give the battery a full charge.

Even on my new Triumph Bonneville that was set up and serviced by the dealer, the battery showed only a 25% state of charged when I brought it home.

jb

Old 04-03-2017, 06:20 PM   #41

This weekend's ride

Finally got the camera and a computer in the same room
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0828.jpg (96.7 KB, 231 views)

Old 04-06-2017, 04:40 AM   #42

New magic smoke box

So $80 later the new battery arrived was set up and charged and installed.

Instant start even after a four day stand down, so all seems good

I was however interested by the small yellow spark, and humming noise when I reconnected the earth terminal? I disconnected and then reconnected, still a small spark but the second time no humming noise? When I turned the ignition on everything was great except that the rev counter swung up to centre position and stayed there and the digital display didn't do the whole 0-200 thing. I turned of waited a few seconds and tried again and we were back to normal

I know there's a small drain keeping the clock going etc, but I'm interested to see what the drain is. I suppose I'm going to have to plumb the depths of the shed in search of the multi meter.... picture a spacious double garage condensed into a 2.5 x 3 metre shed....

Anyway, now to plan this weekend's ride. South I think!

Old 04-06-2017, 06:22 AM   #43

Isn't your bike fuel injected ? The computer is one source of a small drain .

Old 04-08-2017, 08:50 AM   #44

Was the new battery okay after a ride? I'm curious about this one.

Old 04-09-2017, 01:52 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullybiker View Post
Was the new battery okay after a ride? I'm curious about this one.
Yes it seems to be all good again. I took the long way home as the weather was dry. My usual commute is about 3km through town, the long route about 60km through the country.
We are very lucky to live in such a beautiful country!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33845609996_acbba79b31_o.jpg (96.6 KB, 203 views)