Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2016, 04:06 PM   #1

Blinded by the lights

today with all the bright sun I thought I would take off my instrument cover and see about taking off the darkened mast that makes it hard to see lights in day light. It's the black thingy below the redline side of the tach. Easy peasy to do. 100% better to see. What where you thinking Zong?
1)unbolt instrument cluster, unhook cable connection
2)unscrew 6 screws that hold instrument face onto speedo body
3) take a razor blade or sharp knife and break off the flash on the 2 pins that hold mask on. Don't break pins if you want to ever reinstall the mask.
4) remove mask and keep it in your owner's manual for future what ever.
5)reassemble in reverse order.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:03 AM   #2

Excellent.... now I know what I would be doing tonight... when My super half is asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
Easy peasy to do. 100% better to see. What where you thinking Zong?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg lqKlotB[1].jpg (15.9 KB, 295 views)

- Adventure Touring# RX3 - 2017
- Dirt Machine# FSE-450 - 2022
- Classic# Honda CD175 - 1977
- Daily Runner# 1992 - CG125 (engine swap CB250 Sleeper)
- Project#1 : 1995 - Honda C70 w/ 180cc engine swap

Old 07-11-2018, 10:41 PM   #3

300 kit from NZbrakelathe finally broken in. Back to Mobil 1. Very nice. Nice to have more low and mid range power. Top end is about the same on flat, a couple faster on up hills, a couple slower on down hills. Speed is a lot more consistent overall. Paved winding roads keep it in 6th until curves so tight 30mph is too fast. Just a fraction of the downshifting there used to be. Of course, if you want to make time, downshifting is now an option, no longer a requirement.

CSC's 19-inch front wheel and bigger rotor now mounted. Speedometer is still optimistic. Considering a taller tire, perhaps a 110/90-19, 3.50-19, or 4.00-19. Taller tire lessens rake so adds highway stability. Tightened up the stem a bit more, seems to chase the wobbles away. New Kenda adventure style tires on both ends. Set of 6-ply Kenda cruiser tires in stock sizes on the way. Supposed to have good traction and wear. About 99% of my miles are pavement these days.

New bigger rotor for front brake working well, takes about twice the squeeze to make work at low speeds when cold, half the squeeze works well at speed. Typical of metallic pads.

CSC billet, skid plate, and original design center stand installed. Center stand is useless without help. CSC now has a redesigned center stand that is supposed to work a lot better.

CSC LED bulb installed. Odd pattern, gap between low on ground too close, high in trees, not on road. Tiny bit brighter than SYLVANIA 9003/H4 SilverStar Ultra Halogen but pattern is not full like halogen bulbs. Going back to a pair of 4x6 headlights with both high/low with J. W. Speaker military spec bulbs or active motorcycle bulbs with auto turn illumination after court fight with dumb cop.

Over 10,000 miles (16,000 kilometers) on OEM chain and sprockets, about half a mark until out of slot set is so worn. Did get enough miles out of the set to figure out 14/44 tooth counts are still a bit high for my low speed maneuvering so going with 14/46 this time. New chain and sprockets going on tomorrow as soon as new tires arrive. Would have done chain and sprockets today but car needed brakes bled and decided to shredded alternator belt, 97F (36C) and I got hot and needed a shower. Bad.

Been a busy vacation.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwert View Post
CSC billet, skid plate, and original design center stand installed. Center stand is useless without help. CSC now has a redesigned center stand that is supposed to work a lot better.

CSC LED bulb installed. Odd pattern, gap between low on ground too close, high in trees, not on road. Tiny bit brighter than SYLVANIA 9003/H4 SilverStar Ultra Halogen but pattern is not full like halogen bulbs. Going back to a pair of 4x6 headlights with both high/low with J. W. Speaker military spec bulbs or active motorcycle bulbs with auto turn illumination after court fight with dumb cop.

Been a busy vacation.
Regarding the center stand, yes, the redesigned one works much better. It's one piece and allows you to put the bike up on it without assistance,
just like every other center stand out there. It does have interference with the side stand, though, so you have to put the side stand down first and then the lower the center stand. Raising requires the reverse, center stand up first and then the side stand.

For the H4 headlight bulb, there is a much better alternative to CSC's offering available: GENSSI's Elite model. It is available off of eBay, in both 2 packs for cars and singles for motorcycles. It features LED emitters that match the size and location of the filaments on halogen H4 bulbs as well as having a low beam cutoff, so it functions correctly with the RX3's headlight reflector. At least it does with the newer, late 2015 and on US / Canada headlight assemblies. I can't say anything for the early 2015 models, so you might need to upgrade yours if that is what you have in order to reap the benefits of the GENSSI bulb. I can say that it puts out a lot more lumens than the stock OEM 35 watt H4, in the proper light dispersal pattern, and does not overheat and melt the headlight reflector since it uses the same 35 watts as the stock bulb. I consider the bike unsuitable for night riding with the OEM bulb unless you have added auxiliary lights or installed this GENSSI unit.

Vacations - more work than work, in my opinion.

Old 06-07-2016, 05:14 PM   #5

Thanks for the clear photos and instructions, RJ!

what on earth is that mask made of?
How do you like the instrument panel now that the mask has been liberated?

Old 06-07-2016, 05:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandsprite View Post
Thanks for the clear photos and instructions, RJ!

what on earth is that mask made of?
How do you like the instrument panel now that the mask has been liberated?
Wood, I think it is just a clear silk screened plastic that they have masked the symbols for turn sigs, high beam, engine oil, low gas etc . Overall it reminds me of the 70's jap bikes I learned on that you could clearly see the instrument lights brightly on.
I like it so far and is night and day difference. I can see them through my smoke helmet visor very easily in this 98 deg sunlight. Only caveat may be riding at night for long distances high beam indicator may get annoying so I will just put a small piece of electrical tape temporarily over it if it becomes a problem next week on the Iron Butt. rj

Old 06-07-2016, 07:38 PM   #7

Thanks for the write-up!

I'm curious ... does that plastic plate have a dark plastic film you can peel off of the symbols? Or is it a choice between dark symbols and bright lights with no symbols?

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 06-07-2016, 08:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
Thanks for the write-up!

I'm curious ... does that plastic plate have a dark plastic film you can peel off of the symbols? Or is it a choice between dark symbols and bright lights with no symbols?
I can't peel either side of it. One side looks like a dull black silk screen of the symbols, the other side is a frosted black that doesn't peel either. If you put the mask either side down on a white sheet of paper you can't see the symbols. If you hold a flashlight behind it you can see all the symbols clearly.
So my "fly by the seat of your pants, need-a-loan", University Doctorate guess is it is magical and comes from another planet technology.
So yes I'm thinking choice is dark symbols or bright lights and no symbols. rj

Old 06-07-2016, 08:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
I can't peel either side of it. One side looks like a dull black silk screen of the symbols, the other side is a frosted black that doesn't peel either. rj
So the solid black side doesn't peel, but I wonder if it can be gently scraped? Thinking just enough to allow the light to illuminate the symbols more than what they are as supplied? It looks as if the solid black is facing out, is that correct?

Old 06-08-2016, 12:10 AM   #10

I don't have it in front of me any more but if I remember right , the frosted black faces out and the dull black that you can make out the symbols on faces in. If you could remove the black from the frosted front side , the symbols would still be on the back side so maybe you have the right idea Jay.
When I looked at it under a microscope it seems like it started out as a clear piece of thin plastic. Then they frost the front like sandblast texture and painted black? Then silk screened the back side with the symbols.
Maybe we got the military version with the blacked out instrument lights so the drones can't see us??????
I'm headed out tomorrow for a ADV Wallowa Hell's Canyon rally so will be able to see if I still like it w/o the mask. Which I think I will. It just seems "normal" now to me and the lack of symbols is easy to get use to. Then next weekend after I'll try them on my Iron Butt attempt on the RX3. So that will give me night time riding to test them. rj

Old 06-11-2016, 12:52 AM   #11

Plan for the weekend I get to take the tank off *again* looks like I somehow managed to put a pretty good twist in the line to the fuel filter. I have access to disconnect it without taking the tank off since the filter is fully visible under the tank on the right side of the bike but it would likely result in a sizeable gas spill while I mess with it. *sigh*

Old 06-11-2016, 10:54 AM   #12

That sux I hope it turns out to be quick and easy.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 06-12-2016, 08:11 PM   #13

Finally got the new handlebars(x2) installed with the hand guards, looks much better. Put on some cushy grips too, stock ones are rock hard.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:37 PM   #14

Pulled the tank, *finally* remembered to tighten all the bolts underneath, and corrected the fuel line to the fuel filter.

I also spent time this weekend installing the Detours Blinker Package
Here's a photo of my dirty hands - and there were no "spare" parts when I was done, so huzzah!

Old 06-13-2016, 03:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandsprite View Post
Pulled the tank, *finally* remembered to tighten all the bolts underneath, and corrected the fuel line to the fuel filter.

Sprite i have yet to figure out the fuel filter routing i just let the filter sit to the side then it wont bind