Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-08-2019, 08:25 PM   #1

13T & 46T sprocket review

If you read my thread on how I broke in my RX3, you'll know that I found it insufficient for hilly terrain and mountains. It was anemic. Poky.

Well, I'm headed back to the mountains, and I'm taking the RX3. In an attempt to alleviate the concerns of being underpowered, I am experimenting with different sprockets.

The set I just installed are a 13T front, and a 46T rear, as endorsed by SpudRider. That does represent a substantial change in gearing, about 11%. That seems like too much for highway riding, but probably just right for the hills and mountains. I might go back to the stock 14T in the front for the highway journey to the mountains, and then swap in the 13T for the hilly terrain.

I just installed them both to make a test run, and HOLY COW. This is the shot of adrenaline the RX3 needed so badly. It's terrific. It went from poky to perky. It feels much stronger everywhere.

The biggest surprise was highway performance -- this thing moves now! It is running 65 mph (GPS) at 8,000 RPM, and 73 mph at 9000. And that is sitting up - you don't have to shlump over the gas tank crouching behind the windscreen to get those speeds. And it can HOLD those speeds up a hill. And when you're going 73 mph at 9000 RPM, you have plenty in reserve. Smack the throttle wide open and it will accelerate noticeably, on up to at least 80 GPS mph at 10,000 RPM. (Acknowledging that that requires a trip into the red zone on the tach, of course).

This is behavior previously unknown to me on the RX3. On the highways before it would hold 72 on flat ground, but at the first incline that would drop to 65 quickly. Not anymore -- this 13/46 rig will pull 72 up a hill, and accelerate up that hill if you ask it to.

Yes the engine is spinning faster. And MPG will probably suffer. But practical speed hasn't, and responsiveness and the fun factor are massively improved.

This mod may not be for everyone, but I can say that I am much more optimistic about how the RX3 will be able to handle my return to Colorado.