Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2016, 11:47 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
"After talking with Ryan, I believe the new center stand might have been modified to loft the rear wheel. "

Spuds, I wonder what they did to modify it to loft rear wheel? I'm thinking that it is a matter of where the pivot is on the frame that would shift the weight one way or another and that hasn't changed? Maybe overall length of the 2 legs would shift it some? rj
The new stand is slightly longer legged. Not much, but enough to handily loft the rear wheel.

I have successfully swapped out my old center stand for the new and it is much easier to get the bike up on the center stand now!

I had no problem fitting this stand in between the mounts (unlike my original one) and mine came pre-ground where spud ground his I was looking forward to getting it installed I didn't take the time to apply any touch up paint to the ground areas.

Old 02-08-2016, 01:37 AM   #62

Ryan told me CSC was going to start grinding the center stand before shipment.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-10-2016, 07:28 PM   #63

Installed mine this week but haven't got it off the mc lift yet to try the new cs yet. Mine was ground from CSC like you said Spud evidenced by the bare metel where it contacts the frame. I think it will be the cats meow now, rj

Old 02-10-2016, 08:46 PM   #64

Quote:
Installed mine this week but haven't got it off the mc lift yet to try the new cs yet. Mine was ground from CSC like you said Spud evidenced by the bare metel where it contacts the frame. I think it will be the cats meow now, rj
I got mine a couple of weeks ago and it had been ground down by CSC. Works very well.

2016 CanAm Spyder F3-L

Old 02-10-2016, 11:38 PM   #65

My centerstand was one of the first of the new style. It had not been ground. The stand barely went over center and if you bumped the bike from behind it would easily come off the stand. I measured the angle of the stand using the center of the contact point with the ground and the center of the pivot - it was about 2 degrees past vertical. I measured the centerstand on my Stelvio and found that the angle was about 10 degrees. I notified CSC and was advised to grind the stand. I have done that, removing about 1mm, and am now at 10 deg with good stability, and the rear wheel is off the ground.

Spud, thank you for the idea of putting pennies in the spring to ease installation. I put 12 pennies in while the bike was on the centerstand. When I took it off the stand the spring was loose. I didn't need the spring while checking my grinding, going a bit at a time. When I was done with the grinding I just slipped the spring back on, deployed the centerstand, and removed the pennies. Easy, except one thing: To be sure that the pennies didn't pop out I used pliers to press them further into the coils. When I removed the pennies I found that they were bent! Oh well, 12 cents down the drain.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:05 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk47 View Post
My centerstand was one of the first of the new style. It had not been ground. The stand barely went over center and if you bumped the bike from behind it would easily come off the stand. I measured the angle of the stand using the center of the contact point with the ground and the center of the pivot - it was about 2 degrees past vertical. I measured the centerstand on my Stelvio and found that the angle was about 10 degrees. I notified CSC and was advised to grind the stand. I have done that, removing about 1mm, and am now at 10 deg with good stability, and the rear wheel is off the ground.

Spud, thank you for the idea of putting pennies in the spring to ease installation. I put 12 pennies in while the bike was on the centerstand. When I took it off the stand the spring was loose. I didn't need the spring while checking my grinding, going a bit at a time. When I was done with the grinding I just slipped the spring back on, deployed the centerstand, and removed the pennies. Easy, except one thing: To be sure that the pennies didn't pop out I used pliers to press them further into the coils. When I removed the pennies I found that they were bent! Oh well, 12 cents down the drain.
Thanks for posting the good report.

Think of the dozen pennies as a excellent tool which you use one time, then discard. Fortunately, the tool only costs twelve cents.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-11-2016, 02:15 PM   #67

"Spud, thank you for the idea of putting pennies in the spring to ease installation. I put 12 pennies in while the bike was on the centerstand. When I took it off the stand the spring was loose. I didn't need the spring while checking my grinding, going a bit at a time. When I was done with the grinding I just slipped the spring back on, deployed the centerstand, and removed the pennies. Easy, except one thing: To be sure that the pennies didn't pop out I used pliers to press them further into the coils. When I removed the pennies I found that they were bent! Oh well, 12 cents down the drain."

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Thanks for posting the good report.

Think of the dozen pennies as a excellent tool which you use one time, then discard. Fortunately, the tool only costs twelve cents.
Say it isn't so, RX3 blasphemy, Unamerican, definitely very unchineseyous. You could of put them in a vice an squished them suckers back into useful recycled life and installed many more springs or taken a trip on your RX3 that you know you want to go on this summer to a museum or aquarium and put them into one of those penny squishing machines that costs $.50 to make yourself a medallion of a seal or airplane . Just saying.
Having expounded on that, how the heck do you get the pennies into the spring? My spring was very strong (or I am very weak) an I could only get in about 6-8 pennies into the spring. I hooked one end of spring into a slot on the front crash bar ,I mean engine protector Joe B., and bent the spring to open up the coils. Any better way? rj

Old 02-11-2016, 02:29 PM   #68

Quote:
Say it isn't so, RX3 blasphemy, Unamerican, definitely very unchineseyous. You could of put them in a vice an squished them suckers back into useful recycled life and installed many more springs or taken a trip on your RX3 that you know you want to go on this summer to a museum or aquarium and put them into one of those penny squishing machines that costs $.50 to make yourself a medallion of a seal or airplane . Just saying.
Having expounded on that, how the heck do you get the pennies into the spring? My spring was very strong (or I am very weak) an I could only get in about 6-8 pennies into the spring. I hooked one end of spring into a slot on the front crash bar ,I mean engine protector Joe B., and bent the spring to open up the coils. Any better way? rj

Check post #27 and post #53 of this thread, Rob. The Tusk spring puller is an inexpensive, yet very useful item to add to your toolbox.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-11-2016, 09:13 PM   #69

Quote:
FWIW - I had installed the spring the hard way. I needed to take the spring off to do the grinding on the stand so I installed the pennies while the stand was deployed and the spring stretched open. This made it relatively easy. If I had know the penny method before I installed it the first time I would have bent the spring to insert the pennies.

PS: I will save the pennies for the next time I have to install a spring.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:45 PM   #70

Quote:
Rob, I had the same problem, in my case it's simply old age. I used a 36" reversible woodworking clamp and set it to spread rather than clamp. I then wound some bailing wire through the spring loops and onto the clamp grips, squeezed the spring open and inserted the pennies. Worked like a charm.

2016 CanAm Spyder F3-L

Old 02-12-2016, 02:19 PM   #71

AZRider, Brains verses brawn wins out every time. Thanks for the great tip, rj

Old 02-13-2016, 06:40 PM   #72

Does this center stand make my luggage look fat? rj

Old 02-13-2016, 08:45 PM   #73

Quote:

Yes,.....

and you have some 'splainin' to do about that mess atop you windshield...

...and that jackass on your front fender....

Nice handguards....

jb

Old 02-13-2016, 11:20 PM   #74

"Yes,.....
and you have some 'splainin' to do about that mess atop you windshield...
...and that jackass on your front fender....
Nice handguards...."

Jb.........good eye but not a jackass, it's a Donkey I'm told. There's a difference. The jackass is the one between the trunk and the handle bars in this case. Hence the name Joe Berk gave to my bike the first time we met......
Donkey Hoety as in Don Quixote. That's the story he tells and I'm sticking too it.
As for the mess on top of the windscreen ,the GPS sunscreen makes a convenient shelf to throw my gloves on when I get off the bike. I use to put the gloves on the back seat and then forget them and drive off, loosing them. This way they will at least blow in my face if I forget and start off.
The hand guards I bought from you I really like Jb. Not as sturdy as the ones that mount in the handle bar ends but since I never, ever crash I thought these would work well keeping the miscreant bugs off my hands and as well as the cold wind. All methods to my madness, but then I am due for a few more shock treatmments at my "other" residence. rj

Old 02-14-2016, 12:28 AM   #75

Quote:

Yes.
Kidding aside - it's hard to tell from this photo, but it looks like your centerstand has not been modified. With the front wheel on the ground an un-modified stand will be almost vertical and a mild bump will push the bike off the stand. I removed about 1mm, maybe a bit more, from the area that contacts the frame. It is easier to grind the stand with it removed from the bike. You can test the mod without putting the E-clip and spring on.