Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2021, 10:28 PM   #1

Creating a custom rear axle adjustors or the TT250/Hawk250 etc

the stock axle adjuster on the csc tt250 suffers from a few flaws

1 its small and weak
its small sizes means smaller surface area, resulting in the bolt focusing pressure on a smaller part of the swing arm.

My swing arm has warped a bit due to this. I'm sure its happened to other too. I've never torqued to 35ft.
~ill post a pic after removing the axle~

2 it doesn't line up with the scribes
because it has play as it sits on the axle it might tilt a little in each direction, so its not quite lining up with the scribe. I have to use tape measure to align the chain.

2a the scribes are very faint

the scribes are not easy to see on the swing arm, as a result I have to use a tape measure.

3 it lets in dirt
by exposing the slide in the swingarm dirt gets in. this shouldnt impact anything imo.

How I've gone about resolving this
I've created a beefier design out of cnc'd aluminium (6061).
the design holds on to both the bottom and top of the swing arm, meaning it will always be level.
it should do a better job of distributing the forces hold the axle in play too.
Also it seals the dirt:P

What do you guys think ? I'll be sure to keep the thread up to date as I test out the new adjusters. i'll incorporate your ideas before I get it milled.

(side note: i love my csc tt250. the stock chain is garbage and needs frequent cleaning and adjustment which inspired this )

Old 02-03-2021, 05:36 AM   #2

Looks good! Have you physically made it yet and tried it out? Also, what's exact chain you put on your bike? Thanks.

Old 02-03-2021, 07:30 AM   #3

Good Idea. Sort of like what's on my Venom Ghost.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (58.7 KB, 364 views)
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 02-03-2021, 03:24 PM   #4

Great idea. While you're at it please design a replacement for the floppy steel chain adjuster end caps (that the bolts go through) - I'm about ready to weld centering tabs on them.

Also, in all the years I've been riding, it has been 'known' that you don't trust the chain adjustment markings on the swingarm. I usually measure the center of the rear axle to the center of the swingarm pivot on both sides. Even this can cause inaccuracies as far as chain alignment is concerned. Using a chain alignment tool is probably the best way to start, and then note where the markings are on both sides.

Old 02-03-2021, 07:10 PM   #5

jerryhawk - thanks for sharing. I'm glade to see that another manufacture/dealer has the same design, make me feel less crazy for wanting this type of slider. Nice that another manufacture solved this.

Old 02-03-2021, 07:22 PM   #6

old_airhead, agreed the chain adjuster are less than ideal, I got used to them. I feel like an improved design would require a swing arm mod. we gotta be careful not to spend too much $$

and yes there is a youtuber that solved and did a tutorial on it;

the video is a little cringe but he really does a good job fixing it
~5min is his mod

Old 02-04-2021, 08:54 AM   #7

motochutuya, thanks. I've seen this guy's videos before - he has some good idea, but I don't really like watching him. Apparently he thought he was getting the equivalent of a new CRF250L for 1500 bucks.

I've not had a problem with the chain loosening because of engine vibration.

" we gotta be careful not to spend too much $$" - true! Every time I make a modification I tell myself that I'm through putting more money in this thing. Now, I must sign off to test out the new shock I just put on...

Old 02-04-2021, 12:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Good Idea. Sort of like what's on my Venom Ghost.
Who makes the Ghost again? And do you think we can order it for the TT250 from whoever sells the Ghost?

Old 02-04-2021, 04:36 PM   #9

NinjaSICKthirtysix,
https://www.venommotorsportsusa.com/...29442867003494

venommotorsports you can give them a call and let us known the price. IMO its probably gonna be worth it.

additional once I get the part CNC'd and tested I'll be sure to share the stl file here. so you'll be order to cnc it yourself at a local shop OR order it online.

Old 02-07-2021, 02:26 PM   #10

here is what the warped swingarm looks like.

3D prints of the new design should be in the mail

Old 02-09-2021, 09:22 AM   #11

Ouch! That looks to me like the adjuster/spacer in the swingarm is not wide enough. You inspired me to spend the afternoon playing around in the shop yesterday. I removed the rear axle and found that my swingarm was also dented, but not as badly, and the adjuster/spacers inside the swingarm had 0.050" (1-1/4mm) of slop in them. You can also see that my stock adjuster plates are bent. I fixed the spacer by welding some thin washers to them and then grinding them to get a slightly tight fit. I also made new axle plates and swingarm caps. You don't need a CNC mill to make these simple parts - I just have a manual mini-mill. I wanted to make the plates (like your drawing) out of steel but only had aluminum stock laying around. I make them slightly thicker than I wanted because of the aluminum - you can only go so thick because of the axle threads needed. The end caps fit snugly and don't flop around. I haven't cleaned up the plates yet - radius the edges, etc. I might just paint them up as is. I'm not sure if the new adjuster plates would be of any value until the spacer looseness is addressed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic1.jpg (143.8 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg Pic2.jpg (97.9 KB, 232 views)

Old 02-09-2021, 09:35 AM   #12

For 85.00 you can solve most of the issues buy getting the brozz swingarm kit (except maybe the alignment marks as they aren't really useful). Plus it may be a little stronger. Just sayin.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 02-09-2021, 01:38 PM   #13

I agree, but some of us have more time than money, and some are just cheap (me). Also, I like making parts myself when I can. A stronger swingarm would be nice, though.

Old 02-09-2021, 08:26 PM   #14

TxTaoRider, Thank you for mentioning this - I think if the swingarm ever gets damaged on the road I'd do the swap. its a great option

old_airhead, YES your awesome man! I don't have a mill or any tools, so i'm looking for a local guy to make it. I'm glade you were able to solve it.

i love that you fixed the small plates on the adjuster as well. hey maybe you can sell them as a kit online ? i'm sure we are not the only ones that want the upgrade!

Old 02-10-2021, 09:43 AM   #15

Thanks. I think it would be more cost effective if you found a source for the plate and end cap like on JerryHawk250's Ghost. The problem of the undersized spacer is the main issue. New plates will probably warp if this is not fixed.