Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2015, 10:48 PM   #31

Update!

Yesterday was a looong day. My little tool broke so I had to run to harbor freight and barely made it before they closed to pick up a hex key socket set that had the 12mm key in it. I got my spokes in the mail and put in the new spoke, then re trued the rear wheel. After I had the entire wheel assembled on the bike, I noticed I forgot to put the rim strip on and had to take everything apart again. I then trued the front wheel.

After doing all of that I punctured a 2cm hole in the front tube when putting everything back together, so I had to run to the nearest Autozone (20 miles away) and purchased a tire patch kit and an inter tube patch kit. The inter tube patch seems to be holding fine, but I won't be going on any long rides for a few days to make sure it isn't leaking.

So far everything seems to be working perfectly. Before all of this I would let go of the bars and the bike would start oscillating side to side very quickly. I would get horrible wobbles when slowing down or hitting 50+ mph. Today I maxed my bike out (apparently 72mph) with absolutely no bar wobble. It felt like I was on a new bike

I want to thank you all for the time you have put into helping me on this journey, I would never have been able to do it on my own

Old 05-06-2015, 12:56 AM   #32

Thanks for the update. You have done good work, and the knowledge you have gained is excellent.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-06-2015, 12:57 AM   #33

You're doing all of the hard work, and you're figuring most of it out yourself. You're a credit to this forum.

I've given up on rim strips. I now use a strip of Gorilla tape, torn in half, lengthwise. Tough stuff. I don't recommend a patch; in fact, I'd go for a heavy duty tube.

So glad to hear that your bike is better than before. Nice work.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-07-2015, 05:47 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thinker View Post
Update

Links to all things:
- KN-131 Filter
- Speedometer Cable
- Tusk Truing Stand
- Tusk Spoke Wrench
- Spokes that will be here next week
- Magnetic Oil Drain Plug that will be here within the next decade
- Dirt cheap tire irons

I have received the speedometer cable, truing stand, spoke wrench, and a K&N oil filter. I proceeded to get my rear wheel off which involved precariously lifting my bike on a car jack with a contact of around 2 square inches which was nerve racking to say the least . To get the tire off I needed some tire irons, so I contacted my local car shop who said for a 24" tire iron it would be $80. I laughed in his face, hung up the phone, and drove to harbor freight where I purchased 2 for $10.

I put the rim on the stand and loosened every spoke to the max, then sprayed everything down with wd40. After letting everything soak, I attempted to try truing the wheel. My method was to go every 3rd spoke as it says in Tusk's video, then skip one and go every 3rd, etc, etc, untill every spoke has been tightened. I spun the wheel and it was horrible looking, so I ignored the stand's tools and just did everything by how each spoke felt in the wrench. After doing this for some time, I spun the wheel and it was very true to my suprise. I just had to do some minor adjustments here and there. The only spot that is not proper is where a spoke is missing, and even then it is a very small deviation.

After this I started on the front wheel, but noticed it is on there with a 12mm hex key bolt which I (nor any hardware store in my area) has. I went ahead and broke out the JB weld and got an old 1/2 inch socket. I then got a 1/4" bolt with a head size of 12mm, then got two half inch nuts that thread onto the 1/4" bolt and threaded them together so they lined up and were stuck together. I put these into the 1/2" socket and JB welded everything together so it will never come apart. The result, a 12mm hex key socket adapter

The speedometer cable was a perfect fit, and so was the oil filter. In some other threads I have read people have disagreed on whether certain filters fit or not. I can say without a doubt that on a 2013 XF200 with kick and electric start the KN-131 fits perfectly. Here are some pics of the filter:

I used the Hiflo filter on mine when I had it. The number for that filter is HF131. Same exact filter from what I've read (HF makes both) but cheaper and easier to get around here.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 05-07-2015, 06:51 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by david3921 View Post
...I used the Hiflo filter on mine ... filter is HF131...
ANY oil filter compatible w/ Suzi#16510-05240 (just $5.?? from steal-er) works fine...

Tags
rims, spokes, true, wheels, xf200