Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2014, 11:32 PM   #16

I don't know what manufacturer makes these, but there is an expat who swears by them and helps bike tourists buy them (or any other bike). http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...get-ride-76478

Maybe you know the guy? One of the Peruvian brands is Ronco. On another Chinese-bike-oriented website, the sales rep for the nanufacturer Bashan chimed in. I PM'd him to see who they (local brands) OEM in Mexico, Central, and South America, and he gave me several brands. However, for Peru, he didn't give me brands, but rather said they 'have almost 15 distributors all over the country, everyone knows Bashan'.

Of course, these are bikes that are competing with the 'lower end' Zongshen models, not the RX3. I think it is fuel tank size you are looking for in a 'basic' bike, or being able to upgrade. Maybe the guy on Horizonsunlimited could help you in this regard since he is involved with motorcycle mechanics?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 10-29-2014, 11:44 PM   #17

culcune

Many thanks for the kind information. I will follow the link you sent and see if I can't run into him.

Regards

Expat

Old 10-30-2014, 12:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat42451 View Post
Next set device on the front of the block- had never seen anything like it- seems according to the sales guy its some sort of PCV device
I wouldn't call it a PCV; more like an air pump. It pulses fresh air into the exhaust stream to benefit the cat.

I found that out the hard way. I removed a cat from a scooter without removing the air pump, and was rewarded with a gunshot-like bang from the exhaust. Woke me right up.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-30-2014, 12:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat42451 View Post
Posting photos of the pivot arm area, sprocket, various welds &c. I was disappointed with the welding particularly after watching the video of the factory. This is partly why I asked whether it was possible the RX3 might be from another factory-- however it is still a pretty bike
The snail adjusters look ok, and at least the shock is adjustable. I agree that a link would be better.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-30-2014, 12:44 AM   #20

The snail adjusters look fine to me, also.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-30-2014, 01:08 AM   #21

See what I know never heard them called snail adjusters - I am sure the bike is fine. Maybe my eye is too critical.

Expat

Old 10-30-2014, 10:31 AM   #22

No, your comments on the weld quality were on the mark. Honestly, most China bike welds (with the exception of Spud's Zong and the Qlink) look like boogers and popcorn.

That said, none of the welds have come apart on any of my China machines.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:03 AM   #23

Weldangrind

Most of MY welds look like boogers and popcorn....thats without the benefit of having anything to drink either--

Today is a travel day- headed out to a little beach community called Trujillo for a while- I figure I ve got to wait 3 weeks to get a look at the RX3 I get where its hopefully quieter than here.

Regards. Will be back later tonight or tomorrow

Expat

Old 10-30-2014, 12:59 PM   #24

Enjoy the beach. If you have time, please post some photos. This is your thread, and as winter approaches, I would love to see some photographs from a Pacific beach.

If you have time, I would love to see some photographs of the Honda Tornado. Perhaps the Honda might be the best selection for your trip. We are happy to offer our advice, and help you to make the best decision. We won't be disappointed if you choose something other than a Chinese motorcycle.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-30-2014, 01:03 PM   #25

Incidentally, I agree; the welds on the ZX200 do leave something to be desired. However, I'm sure they are quite strong. How does the price of the three Zongshen bikes compare to the price of the Honda Tornado?

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-30-2014, 03:32 PM   #26

Price is the big deal on the Honda, from what I can tell. On Horizonsunlimited, a guy from Canada had bought a Tornado in Mexico and had ridden it south and back north. He offered it for free (to use) for someone who wanted to start in Mexico and ride south where the Canadian owner could fly and ride it again. There are plenty of people who do such things, and if you read INTO the thread from the Peru expat I put here on this thread, Chinese bikes are going to become more popular for adventure travelers. Many people have gone the expensive route and bought KLRs, BMWs, etc. with the intent to sell them once they rode a long way, one way. They have planned to leave from a certain country. They then try to recoup the cost of their bike with someone starting out at the bottom (i.e. flew from Paris to Brazil) riding north.

The Canadian guy paid about what expat42451 said it listed it in Peru--$5k USD (maybe Canadian $ but close). He cannot take the bike into Canada since it is not certified. He did not want to lose $5k so quickly, and figured he will ride the heck out of it (I am not sure if he had ever tried to sell it). I offered to store it here in Yuma since Mexico is a hop, skip and jump from here, but he just PM's me the other week and said he has friends in Phoenix, but he is not sure which route he wants to take in Mexico/Central/South America. I did tell him to stop by if he comes through either of the nearby border crossings, regardless.

The other expat in Horizons I posted the link to who preps these bikes has a lot of interest. $2k for a relatively disposable bike is a lot more palatable than $5k. Rental bikes are a lot of money pretty much anywhere in the world, unless one is American and only has a few weeks of vacation to kill. Then, paying $60 or more a day is justified. However, many of these travelers have months to kill. Paying $2k or less can be justified when looked at as depreciation.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 10-31-2014, 12:38 AM   #27

culcune- Spudrider, Weldangrind and the group-
Agree totally about price on the Hondas- So a new Honda Tornado is $5200- about 15,400 soles. Then racks, panniers, some riding gear, helmet, a GPS- close to another $1 K gone before on the road. Also agree about rentals. There are rental places both in Peru and Ecuador. Nice bikes, lots of dollars though. Lots of people bring bikes down here from the US or Europe, ride and then sell them after the trip rather than taking them home. Problem with that is if you anticipate staying as I do, the bike can't be imported. Another expat can buy it, ride and then sell again.

Question is when you are a wanderer with an indeterminate schedule and not rich what then. I mentioned I think I looked at an 850GS, used, US bike in Ecuador asking $11,000 so you ride it and what then. Say you want to stay somewhere get a visa. Bike has to go. Besides its tall and damn heavy and I can't imagine getting it down on a muddy road and getting it up by myself. That and its tall enough and heavy enough where I dot know I would be comfortable on it on the highway loaded. Also with gas at $6 a gallon then the added fuel consumption- so smaller , again.

So that leaves buying locally. The Kawa 250 new was $6k. Again outfitting. So yes the Chinese bikes are attractive. Buy the ZX200 then you have about $3k in the rig road ready. Immediately the RX3 is a lot more attractive because you have luggage and racks for it. Plus the power plus a 6 speed tranny. Plus it s dirt capable with tires. When I checked in to the hotel this evening, met a Spanish couple on a pair of Honda 125's. They have been all over the place down here and said due to the Andes plus gear weight to get 250 cc. They are leaving tomorrow headed out to Lima. There are a couple of other people here traveling as well that I have not met- I got in at 8:30 and while I am writing this I am having a beer and a sandwich. Trujillo is a much larger city than Piura was. The taxi driver has a Pulsar 200- he has been on a ride down through Chile and into Argentina with the Pulsar and said 200 cc was adequate one up with gear but no more. So the RX3 makes more and more sense to me even given the fact that its a new model. Or a used Honda 250 or the ZX200. In the used 2010 Tornado I looked at- he was asking 9000 soles or $3400 more or less. Again another K into that so the RX3 looks real good considering.

Juanacho is a small bedroom- beach community of Trujillo. It is a surfing community and though we are going into sumer months here the hotel guy who surfs said the water is cold as hell right now. I have a shorty wetsuit and when I got in I noticed there was a clothing rack in the courtyard with long suits on it so I am going to guess I won't be surfing- I don't like cold water at all. Will get some photos tomorrow and post- the trip from Piura was 6 hours mostly semi arid and some desert hinting at whats prevalent here on the coast all the way down through Chile. Its beautiful and had I a bike I would have spent longer on the way down to take photos. Buses here though are excellent and secure- to ride a long haul bus requires your passport, being fingerprinted and they take photos of everyone on the bus. Whether this is a holdover from the Shining Path days here in Peru I don't know but one must remember they fought a counter insurgency here not many years ago under the Fujimori (since pilloried for human rights abuses but who is actually to say) where Shining Path controlled between 70 and 80 % of the land mass area outside of the cities.

Thats it from this end. Understand I won't be pilloried or burned at the stake for buying a non Chinese bike. The Chinese bikes $ wise do and particularly the RX3- make good sense.

Expat

Old 10-31-2014, 12:39 AM   #28

Double post sorry

Last edited by expat42451; 10-31-2014 at 12:40 AM. Reason: y

Old 10-31-2014, 12:57 AM   #29

In I think Russian but check this out

Old 10-31-2014, 01:19 AM   #30

The RX3 really does represent an excellent value. The fuel injection is very nice when you are riding through great differences in elevation.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220